glasses for pool

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some oversized frames. If I put my distance lenses in those frames, would they be equivalent to the pool glasses advertised?

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
I have some oversized frames. If I put my distance lenses in those frames, would they be equivalent to the pool glasses advertised?
No. What you want is to have them adjust your correction for the range of about 2ft to 10 ft -- just enough to cover the length of a pool table. That's not the same as "distance" for me, of course I don't know about you. I had a little trouble getting through to my optomitrist about this, but once he did, my new glasses gave me a much clearer view of the table than I have had for years. The lenses also need to ride higher on your eyes, so you see clearly even when bending over the shot. I actually thought new glasses might help my game. oh well...

By the way, this distance also is great for watching HD TV -- you can actually appreciate the HD!

Mine are Decot.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The focal point on the lens is different. Normal Glasses would be in the middle area. With pool glasses you use the top of the lens. They have to change this for your pool glasses

madhaterm3

will work for food
Silver Member
Wow, this is news to me. I wear glasses all the time, but I wear particular glasses that cover my whole eye area when I play pool as opposed to the smaller ones that I wear for daily use. I never even thought to have them do such adjustments.

What kind of money did you guys shell out to do this?

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I thought they worked like Beer Goggles..... The later it gets, the better the shot looks.

Banger

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
Depends on your prescription. How is your vision from ~3 feet to ~14 feet away? If you need correction, then you would do better getting new lenses that are designed to correct over that range.

That's what I did. My local optometrist called Dr. Harrison of Canada... and Harrison shared with my doctor how he designs the lenses so that my local could do the same for me. My pool glasses look exactly like those on Harrison's website... and my local did it for me for ~$95... well below what Harrison charges.

Bottom-line: Have your vision checked. If you need correction below 20 feet (the distance at which "infinity" starts), then get new lenses for your pool glasses... and they should correct for distances between ~3 feet and ~14 feet.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I would like to get a set of glasses that were to my perscription but look like the glasses that the Hanson brothers wear in Slapshot. I bet there would be a ton of players lining up to play.

av84fun

Banned
Here is Dr. Harrison's website. He's a great guy who does LOTS of these glasses. They TOTALLY changed my pool life.

With normal glasses, you are A) looking through the top edge which is somewhat distorted and B) there is an area of peripheral vision that is not corrected at all because you are seeing over the top of the lens.

That creates a sort of dual vision where you are seeing corrected objects on the bottom but blurry objects over the top.

By, in effect, turning the lens blanks upside down, these lenses create what I call a "wall of vision" that is extremely beneficial.

They cost about $175.00 and I think you would be LUCKY to find a local man to duplicate them for much less...as Cigardave was fortunate enough to do.

Regards,
Jim

http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I have a pair of shooting glasses from Decot http://www.sportglasses.com/

They have an adjustable bridge so the height can be changed.

I also found that if I use a regular elastic strap on my regular glasses this will raise them and I can use them for pool. It's a lot cheaper than special glasses and it works for me. Plus.. I don't have t carry a pair of glasses in my case.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Here is Dr. Harrison's website. He's a great guy who does LOTS of these glasses. They TOTALLY changed my pool life.

With normal glasses, you are A) looking through the top edge which is somewhat distorted and B) there is an area of peripheral vision that is not corrected at all because you are seeing over the top of the lens.

That creates a sort of dual vision where you are seeing corrected objects on the bottom but blurry objects over the top.

By, in effect, turning the lens blanks upside down, these lenses create what I call a "wall of vision" that is extremely beneficial.

They cost about $175.00 and I think you would be LUCKY to find a local man to duplicate them for much less...as Cigardave was fortunate enough to do.

Regards,
Jim

http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

Here's an idea for those who, like me, just want their lenses to ride higher on the bridge of their nose, thereby lifting the lens up higher, and thus better for pool.

These nose pads are available at Walgreens, and cost 1.99 for a package of 10.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...rgl_502789&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2997164#

For me, one one each side raises my glasses up just enough to see properly.

If I wanted to really raise my glasses higher, I could just add another or perhaps two of them.

After putting a set on my glasses, they are fine for pool.

Flex

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Flex said:
Here's an idea for those who, like me, just want their lenses to ride higher on the bridge of their nose, thereby lifting the lens up higher, and thus better for pool.

These nose pads are available at Walgreens, and cost 1.99 for a package of 10.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...rgl_502789&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2997164#

For me, one one each side raises my glasses up just enough to see properly.

If I wanted to really raise my glasses higher, I could just add another or perhaps two of them.

After putting a set on my glasses, they are fine for pool.

Flex

Good Thought!! I've even got some of those to use as emergency replacements for when mine become unscrewed and lost and I'm left with just the wire hook they screw onto.

I'll try this out and maybe I can not only do without my Decot Hy-Wyds but also without the elastic strap holding up my regular glasses.

Thanks for the tip.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a variety of options for wearing glasses.

1) Spoony http://shop.strato.de/epages/61177776.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=321040 OR http://www.spoonyteam.com/- These allow you to use your regular glasses.

2) I have a pair that actually tilt. The arms have an additional hinge. An optician friend had a pair that someone ordered but didn't pick up. This allows you to raise/tilt the lenses up. Not sure of the brand though. The problem with these is they would fog depending on the humidity because the tops of the lenses would be against your forehead.

3) I now wearing Decots International Hy Lo. I did purchase the frames on E-Bay and had my optician friend do the lenses for me.

I can't wear contacts because I find them uncomfortable. I only wear the glasses on an as needed basis. Usually once I miss a shot or two. When I do put them on I do get laughed at/teased occasionally because they aren't particularly attractive. NOTE: I am known as the GO-GO GADGET poolplayer as well but that's another story. My opponents stop laughing once I run a 3-pack on them though. If the match is important I start out with the glasses.

I don't really care what I look like now because I can now see clearer when playing.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have Decots as well...Gotta agree with Mooseman as far as looks goes. I call them my "dork glasses"...but at least I can look through a lens when I get down to shoot.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Glasses are great, if you have to have them...

I have made my own. They work great, I could NOT play as well without them.

The frames are modified (angled out at the bottom by some 20+ degrees) to allow me to look through the lens at a normal (90 degree) angle, that eliminates any distortion.

The nose pads are lowered by almost 1/2 inch & extended back.

Attachments

• glasses 2.JPG
    glasses 2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 97

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The glasses that I have that tilt are similar to yours except the arms have a second hinge. I may take pics to show specifically.

ceebee said:
I have made my own. They work great, I could NOT play as well without them.

The frames are modified (angled out at the bottom by some 20+ degrees) to allow me to look through the lens at a normal (90 degree) angle, that eliminates any distortion.

The nose pads are lowered by almost 1/2 inch & extended back.