Tom Hay's new line of tips

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone knows Tom Hay's infamous line of Ultraskin tips. They're layered, cheap and play amazing. And by cheap, I mean you can buy 10 of his tips for the price of 1 Kamui tip.

Recently I saw Tom post on his Facebook page about his new line of tips called Simplicity In Billiards (SIB Tips). The purpose of this new line of tips is to use brown leather (light green according to Tom) tips and that they're made to play as close as possible to the 1990's Moori tips. Seems very interesting, I'm definitely going to give this a try. From my experience, brown tips tend to hold chalk significantly better (eg: G2 and Kamui Brown). I'm also hoping Tom can maybe provide the same or similar deal to his Ultraskin tips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272311118555

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Going to try one myself. I always did like the way an old Moori played, sometimes.
And, for you folks out there who have never used an Ultraskin cue tip, don't let Zero's use of the word cheap fool you. Tom's tips are all high quality at a reasonable price. With emphasis on the high quality.
Save me a couple of mediums, Tom. :smile:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Tips

I've been wondering when these was going be released.
Thanks tom, sounds like you've been feeling better.

Thanks again.

Rob.M

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I am a big fan of the Ultraskin tips. My only gripe is when I use the medium black tip that it mushrooms way too easily and I have to have it fixed up. I think my last one I had to have it done twice. They play great though, just wish they didn't mushroom so easily.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Will be on the look out to pick a few up for testing... I have test numbers for compression, Hardness and COR on the original Moori M thanks to Royce (RIP) and Lomax....

Maybe the new ones will at least be marked with country of origin per FTC requirements...

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a big fan of the Ultraskin tips. My only gripe is when I use the medium black tip that it mushrooms way too easily and I have to have it fixed up. I think my last one I had to have it done twice. They play great though, just wish they didn't mushroom so easily.

Don't worry Lendon..I'm sure, after you have your corrective thumb surgery, you will be able to see it was actually your thumb that was mushrooming! ;) :rolleyes: :D

PS..Hope its not too late for our wager on Bustie and Chohan? :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Will be on the look out to pick a few up for testing... I have test numbers for compression, Hardness and COR on the original Moori M thanks to Royce (RIP) and Lomax....

Maybe the new ones will at least be marked with country of origin per FTC requirements...

Give it a rest Chris, it only makes you look small when you make posts like this.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
ultraskins way overrated imo

Woofy, I play One Pocket with a guy who miss cues several times a session. He'll blame the tip, the chalk, the humidity, the waitress with too short, shorts. Everything except his stroke which is as screwed up as Hogan's goat.
Are you like that guy? :)

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woofy, I play One Pocket with a guy who miss cues several times a session. He'll blame the tip, the chalk, the humidity, the waitress with too short, shorts. Everything except his stroke which is as screwed up as Hogan's goat.
if I was I'd be saying all tips suck... but I'm not.... we're talking ultraskins... try to keep up

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
if I was I'd be saying all tips suck... but I'm not.... we're talking ultraskins... try to keep up

Hey, I'm pedaling as fast as I can.
Let's see, you say Ultraskins suck, but you don't give any reasons why. So what then are the rest of us to assume?
Remember, Woof. Ninety-nine percent of all plane crashes are caused by pilot error.

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I'm pedaling as fast as I can.
Let's see, you say Ultraskins suck, but you don't give any reasons why. So what then are the rest of us to assume?
Remember, Woof. Ninety-nine percent of all plane crashes are caused by pilot error.
the price is the only thing going for them... but I still would never buy one again... they mushroom just like kamui... they dry out pretty quick too...

if you like them... then good luck to you...

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the price is the only thing going for them... but I still would never buy one again... they mushroom just like kamui... they dry out pretty quick too...

if you like them... then good luck to you...

Mine mushroom slightly after playing for a couple of days. I trim them and they never mushroom again. I'm voting pilot error too. Best layered tips I've played, and I've tried most.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hogan's goat

you learn something every day ....thanks tramp......:thumbup:
hogan's goat
The phrase like Hogan’s goat refers to something that is faulty, messed up, or stinks like a goat. The phrase is a reference to R.F. Outcault’s seminal newspaper comic Hogan’s Alley, which debuted in 1895.

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Ultra Skin

Mine mushroom slightly after playing for a couple of days. I trim them and they never mushroom again. I'm voting pilot error too. Best layered tips I've played, and I've tried most.

Agreed, after buying and installing over a hundred I think they are great. I never have to shape, trim, or touch the ones on my personal cues. Sometimes just 1 time after installing as mentioned above but that is true for most all tips.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
you learn something every day ....thanks tramp......:thumbup:
hogan's goat
The phrase like Hogan’s goat refers to something that is faulty, messed up, or stinks like a goat. The phrase is a reference to R.F. Outcault’s seminal newspaper comic Hogan’s Alley, which debuted in 1895.

Right back at you, triple b. :smile:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

Well put, John. Back in the day customers would ask me about this very same thing. I would tell them not to worry about it, the tip was only "settling in". It would only take a couple of minutes to correct, and off they'd go, never to heard from until the next tip.
By-the-way, Ultraskins, or any other layered tip for that matter, doesn't mushroom in the sense that a single layered tip does. It's more of a flair, and usually very little at that. :)

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
ultraskins way overrated imo

Been down and out a little lately, no biggie just back and age

I can appreciate someone not liking or caring for my tips. If the feel and hit was 100% perfect for all players I would be the only place to shop but it is impossible to meet everyones needs.

On drying out I am soory, that just is not happening. I have an original medium and original soft that have sat exposed on a window sill that gets the most sun light during a Florida day for close to 5, 6 years.

If my tips agree with you and your customers great, buy them. If they don't simply do not buy them. If you buy them and they don't fit your needs, in the USA, send them back, happy to refund.

I try to offer consistent quality products with a resonable price and fairly fast delivery.

I sometimes feel my low pricing makes people mad. I can't help that, I think more about my customers that the price makes happy. :)

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been down and out a little lately, no biggie just back and age

I can appreciate someone not liking or caring for my tips. If the feel and hit was 100% perfect for all players I would be the only place to shop but it is impossible to meet everyones needs.

On drying out I am soory, that just is not happening. I have an original medium and original soft that have sat exposed on a window sill that gets the most sun light during a Florida day for close to 5, 6 years.

If my tips agree with you and your customers great, buy them. If they don't simply do not buy them. If you buy them and they don't fit your needs, in the USA, send them back, happy to refund.

I try to offer consistent quality products with a resonable price and fairly fast delivery.

I sometimes feel my low pricing makes people mad. I can't help that, I think more about my customers that the price makes happy. :)

To each their own... I've played with a few UltraSkin tips and have been nothing but impressed. I also really like the Tiger Onyx tips, but know some people who can't stand them. Opinions are like... well... you know.

How would you compare the playability of the SIB tips to your current UltraSkins, as it pertains to firmness, resistance to mushrooming and how they hold chalk?

Cheers,

Mike