Which size pool "just for fun" if room size is not an issue?

Which pool table size do you prefer for "just for fun" games?

• 7 ft

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 8 ft

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Oversized 8 ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 ft

Votes: 33 68.8%

• Total voters

Jempy35

Registered
Let's say you have enough room size to fit in a 9 footer and you only use your pool table for an occasional game with friends (so not for training purposes. You don't have real professional ambitions... yet... ;-)). You want to be able to play with people who are very good and can play on any size table, but also with people who stink at pool but want to be able to pot the occasional ball ;-).

In short which pool table size gives you the most fun for everyone without too much restrictions for one side (either the good or the bad players)

Which pool table size do you prefer?

I should think an 8 footer is the perfect compromise but what are your thoughts?

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I think pocket size is as important of a question as table size when you consider the word "fun" in the question. A generous pocketed 9 footer would have to be more fun than a super strict pocketed 7 footer.

PoppaSaun

Banned
9-ft.

I know from personal experience that even if you have a generous smaller table, casual players are going to miss 80% of the time and will be tired of playing in less than an hour.

The serious players will appreciate the larger table.

But, really, I would question getting a pool table at all. It is an expensive waste of a room if you aren't serious about playing and practicing.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without question a Brunswick 8 footer with standard 5” pockets. All your friends will appreciate your reasonable pockets.

~ K.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Voted for 9' even though my table is an oversize 8', big as I could go.
If your playing with a bunch of "fun" players I could see a 7' being ok.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would try to find the best possible deal on a used table that performs well on the secondary market: full-size gold crown or diamond maybe 7ft diamond.

that way you don't take a bath on it if the fun runs out or you need the space.

the difference in quality also shows.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Given the choice of tables, I would no doubt prefer to have a 9' table at home ... but given that the question contained the word "fun" - I'd have to say 8'. That's not to say that a 9' isn't fun - just that I tend to bear down and take it more seriously on a 9'.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a softer table may be more fun at first, and you do say that you have no intention of taking the game seriously, but the pool bug bites hard, and, if that happens, i think you'll regret getting anything other than 9ft.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Definitely a 7' table, possibly an 8' but a 9' table is out of the question for casual players. My family plays on my table during the holidays but the size of my Gold Crown does not go unnoticed. I know that they would enjoy a 7' (bar size) table much more. Wisconsin is loaded with 7' bar boxes so almost every league and tournament is played on 7' tables. I even get regular shooters over on my table commenting on how big a 9' table is, would someone really think a very casual player would have more fun on a 9' than a 7'???

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'Just for fun' implies y'all aren't serious players. A Valley bar table would be fine, priced reasonable, and they're built like a tank!

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
'Just for fun' implies y'all aren't serious players. A Valley bar table would be fine, priced reasonable, and they're built like a tank!

That's sound advice. Valley bar box will take whatever is thrown at it.

Watch craigslist and you'll find one cheap that can be resold for the same price.

That way if you do get the bug and want to move up to a nine you can do so w out losing out.

I've played on bar boxes a lot. I went to hall, when we had one, and played daily on a 9ftr. I didn't have a problem w it. Seemed easier playing 8ball.

Nothing wrong w an 8ftr either.

Ideally, I want a nice valley 7ft coin op and a diamond or brunswick 9ft in my place.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I agree. To be frank, casual players will not notice whether you have tight pockets or league buckets. They will give up once you start making 3-4 balls in a row. Buy the table for your self.

When the room is too small for the table...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex_BuaxZ3v0

9-ft.

I know from personal experience that even if you have a generous smaller table, casual players are going to miss 80% of the time and will be tired of playing in less than an hour.

The serious players will appreciate the larger table.

But, really, I would question getting a pool table at all. It is an expensive waste of a room if you aren't serious about playing and practicing.

Jempy35

Registered
I'm currently tending to an 8 ft table. Me personally, I don't have any problem with a 9 ft table (I 've played on them and though it's much more difficult in potting balls than on an 8 ft, I feel very comfortable on them). I'm sure a 9 ft table would even improve my game and maybe me first choice should be a 9 ft table.

Problem is that I don't want to play alone all the time and I will probably have to play players that don't share my enthousiasm (eventhough I'm certainly not planning on getting a Pro and enter competitions sometime soon) and I want them to enjoy the game aswel. I think a 9 ft table will scare a lot of them of and I want to avoid that.

7 ft is a bit to small for my likings and is a no go so that leaves me with an 8 feet.

I'm only in doubt know that I should be thinking only to myself (and go for the 9 ft) or avoid that others that want to play me, find the 9 ft too big (and go for an 8 ft).

Jempy35

Registered
I'm currently tending to an 8 ft table. Me personally, I don't have any problem with a 9 ft table (I 've played on them and though it's much more difficult in potting balls than on an 8 ft, I feel very comfortable on them). I'm sure a 9 ft table would even improve my game and maybe me first choice should be a 9 ft table.

Problem is that I don't want to play alone all the time and I will probably have to play players that don't share my enthousiasm (eventhough I'm certainly not planning on getting a Pro and enter competitions sometime soon) and I want them to enjoy the game aswel. I think a 9 ft table will scare a lot of them of and I want to avoid that.

7 ft is a bit to small for my likings and is a no go so that leaves me with an 8 feet.

I'm only in doubt know that I should be thinking only to myself (and go for the 9 ft) or avoid that others that want to play me, find the 9 ft too big (and go for an 8 ft).
And an oversized is very difficult to find where I'm from so that's a nog go either.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted for the nine footer, as is what is in the basement. But for you an eight footer should be fine,
it will make the transition to either a seven or nine seem not as large of a jump. You will have a hard
time finding an eight footer any where you go, so playing on one will be the best for you. Only up one foot for the nine,
down one foot for the seven, I find that contiually jumping from 9 to 7 drives me crazy sometimes...