John Schmidt at BullShooters

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was there for the 390. It takes some stamina to just watch.:smile:

As for marking the ball positions with chalks.... There are two kinds of asymmetrical purpose-made ball markers available at the table. They prevent errors on replacement. I don't know why they are not being used.

In one of the replacements in the 390 run, the CB was placed on the wrong side of the chalk, thereby making it more than 3" from where it should have been. If John had gone on to beat the 526 in that run, no telling how many asterisks it would have had.:)

Also, I noticed a foul in another run, with the cue stick bumping a nearby ball on the follow-through. John continued with the run. Then I noticed that the Facebook chat listing of his high runs for each day and the equipment he is using says he is playing cue-ball fouls only. If he does exceed 526, I hope he commits no such non-CB "fouls" in that run.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another thought, Bob. Yesterday (or the day before?), John just barely grazed the corner ball on a break shot, without a lot of disturbance to the rack, and the CB went pretty far uptable. Naturally, he spent a decent amount of time looking at possibilities for making a ball out of the rack. The racker, and someone who looked from the rear like you, also went to the table looking at possibilities. I do not know whether any advice was given to John. The WPA rules do permit limited coaching, but the coach is not allowed to approach the table.

Do you think that if John were to act on advice given by someone else and make the ensuing shot, that it would taint a record run?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Do you think that if John were to act on advice given by someone else and make the ensuing shot, that it would taint a record run?
Probably. No one knows whether advice was shouted out during the current record run, but I imagine none was taken.

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
April 12th John's birthday. Two runs over 100 with the high of 235. That is the tenth run over 200. Tomorrow play will start around 2:30 or 3:00. John has 3 maybe 4 more days left at BullShooters.

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another tough day, day 18, two runs over 100 with 126 the high. The last 3 days bgin Monday at noon.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s he doing, Ralf?

He literally was just muscling everything in. No thought process at all. He just kept losing run after run after the 10 or 20 ball mark. Again, he lost all concentration that he literally quit early tonight.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Certainly not John at his best on Saturday. I think the full list of attempts was something like this (in order):

43, 70, 15, 51, 18, 28, 126, 14, 124, 50, 0, 27, 1, 13, 10, 28

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Certainly not John at his best on Saturday. I think the full list of attempts was something like this (in order):

43, 70, 15, 51, 18, 28, 126, 14, 124, 50, 0, 27, 1, 13, 10, 28

So that was 2 out of 16 past 100. My previous rough estimate is that John is about 25% to run 100 or more from an open shot, which would have predicted 4 of 16. Statistically this is not a significant variation but at the time it can be very frustrating.

From the total I assume he did not shoot for long.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... From the total I assume he did not shoot for long.

Right, I think he played for about 2½ hours yesterday, averaging about 4 balls per minute.

I don't know whether anyone is keeping track of all the attempts, but I wouldn't take yesterday as typical for getting his expected percentage of 100+ runs.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Geesh, John just ran 395 (on a carry-over run that apparently started yesterday with 210 and continued today). He missed an easy 1-ball that looked like it skidded.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Geesh, John just ran 395 (on a carry-over run that apparently started yesterday with 210 and continued today). He missed an easy 1-ball that looked like it skidded.
If it skidded, it skidded more than I've ever seen a ball skid. It went straight into the rail! I can't believe the run ended like that on an easy shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it skidded, it skidded more than I've ever seen a ball skid. It went straight into the rail! I can't believe the run ended like that on an easy shot.
He was playing the shot with soft inside to go down to the foot rail for the two balls there. That's a fairly common situation for a skid. It happened to bite at the wrong time.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John's efforts today (Mon. 4/15):

185 (added to an incomplete 210 yesterday, for a total run of 395)

Quite a remarkable day. 5 out of 6 over 100.

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a fantastic day of straight pool today. three runs over 200 and 2 runs over 300. only two more days left. Tune in tomorrow at noon Az time to watch this monster break the record.