My work here in Baghdad...

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
A few people have asked what I do here, and I finally got some pictures of my work area when it is "sanitized" (all secure stuff turn off), because we are doing some construction.. Here's a few pics..

First one is a horrible pic, (I didn't take it..) but it shows the row where Gen Petraeus takes his morning briefing.. The big video wall is very similar to what is behind the news anchors on some of the networks.

A server with about 30 something video cards runs this wall. Fourteen inputs in, twelves outs to each of the "cubes". Each input is individually croppable, and can be stretch to fill any portion of the screen. Special software manipulates the resolution of each input in order to make it presentable when stretched.

There are intercom systems at each position, and these interface with a videoteleconferencing unit that links to other sites to provide audio/video communication.

None of this is classified information, as this is no that unusual a setup for a large companies' Network Operations Center, or any other sort of command and control setup.

Russ

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 414

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
Edited to remove picture as photographer acknowledged this one probably was okay, but better safe than sorry....

Russ

Last edited:

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
A better picture of the room, includes a little ceiling architecture..

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 407

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
ChrisOnline said:
whats a setup like that cost?

it would look awesome in the Home Theater room..

;)

chris

Let's just say.. even with a healthy paycheck...I can't afford to accidentally break anything... :D

And funny as it may seem... Only half the cost of the system is the actual screens... It takes some fairly complicated stuff to route the video signals to the wall, 5 plasmas in this room, and route them to another two rooms besides..

Russ

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Now how is all that equiptemt use to win the War, beside doing a morning breefing?

This is not an anti-war thread, or an anti-bush thread. It's a thread about a scumbag contractor in Iraq.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Bank on, Russ

Bank on brother! You know I'm 100% for you and the fellas there, be they in or out of the military. If I was 40 years younger I'd be hanging with you.
Best wishes,

the Beard

Check out my revitalized website, Russ. There is a few new things on there that you and the boys might get a kick out of.

I am posting my movie script, "Roxanne's Game," a little at a time on my website. Part 1 is available for perusing on this link: www.scriptforroxannesgame.blogspot.com/

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
Way to go Russ
In the words of General "Buck" Turgidson

"I don't know exactly how to put this, sir, but are you aware of what a serious breach of security that would be? I mean, he'll see everything, he'll... he'll see the Big Board!"

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
Way to go Russ

"I don't know exactly how to put this, sir, but are you aware of what a serious breach of security that would be? I mean, he'll see everything, he'll... he'll see the Big Board!"

LOL, "Dr. Strangelove".. We have security reminders that come up as a rotating screensaver, using screen captures from popular movies. One is from Dr. Strangelove, and has a couple of guys holding one man back and it says in caption, " STOP HIM! He's trying to take pictures of THE BIG BOARD!" :D :D :D

Russ

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
Way to go Russ

Great movie.

-Andrew