I hate pool! (long)

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate pool its the worst thing that has ever happened to my life. Tonight was another loss for me and my hard earned money. I lost to a guy who cant run 4 balls on a bar table playing 8 ball, I used to drill this guy he hasnt even been practicing HE DONT PRACTICE. I cant focus anymore. Looking back i've wasted so much time researching and buying books, watching pro matches going through cues. I had to talk this guy into playing me because their was not anyone else to play, and he beat me. Im a natural born loser anyone can beat me. I just drop down to their level and the slowly beat me just like always. These people probly dont even know how to use the internet. I practiced on a 9 foot table all week getting ready to go down to the pool hall and win some money. I read the entire book of the inner game of tennis. Watched hours of matches. I went in to the bar early to get alil practice in before everyone got there. I was shooting like GOD I have never shot so good in my life. I could get out from anywhere, I was in the zone. It felt great. So I leave to get something to eat and take a break, and come back later on. I get a game up with this guy, who I used to beat regular about 2 years ago. Well were playing 8 ball 10 bucks no big deal, i should make a quick 50 bucks before he quits. If I shoot like i was earlier this is going to be a breeze i thought. Because i have been losing money for the past 6 months every weekend its like a 100+ dollars of my hard earned money down the drain because i cant win no matter who i play. I thought that tonight was the night the i turned it all around and started winning alil bit, I dont want to get rich i just want to win every once in a while. But nope after that first game with him my head just turns into a fog the same shit start out strong in the beginning of the rack and at the end i become a choke artist then its a snowball going downhill from there when i start noticing Hes playing with a players sneaky pete, with a dirty ferrule, he croaches like a freaking praying mantis when he shoots, he cusses at himself/ hes negative towards himself. getting mad and slamming balls like a real loser except hes winning and im quite, well mannered and polite. and he takes off with my 100 dollars. So Im admitting to everyone here that im a natural born loser i cant win and ive learned to live with it, so im quitting pool for 1 month and i dont know if i will ever play again. sorry for being so long i just had to get it off my chest .

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
A layoff of pool is what you need.take a month off without doing anything pool related then come back and start with basic drills..every person in every sport has ups and downs and burnout..this is what you have experienced ...enjoy the month or so off then practice,practice and practice.good luck to you and remember to let us know how your doing when you start back up..enjoy the Holidays........:)

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
spend money on lessons before gambling

Sounds like you need to play on bigger tables. Find a master instructor in your area take lessons. sounds like some mental problems (confidence) The indian or the arrow story. Swim, walk, do cardo stuff. Your only as good as the weakest link. Playability and durability comes to mind. Give yourself a break. mark

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:
I hate pool its the worst thing that has ever happened to my life. Tonight was another loss for me and my hard earned money. I lost to a guy who cant run 4 balls on a bar table playing 8 ball, I used to drill this guy he hasnt even been practicing HE DONT PRACTICE. I cant focus anymore. Looking back i've wasted so much time researching and buying books, watching pro matches going through cues. I had to talk this guy into playing me because their was not anyone else to play, and he beat me. Im a natural born loser anyone can beat me. I just drop down to their level and the slowly beat me just like always. These people probly dont even know how to use the internet. I practiced on a 9 foot table all week getting ready to go down to the pool hall and win some money. I read the entire book of the inner game of tennis. Watched hours of matches. I went in to the bar early to get alil practice in before everyone got there. I was shooting like GOD I have never shot so good in my life. I could get out from anywhere, I was in the zone. It felt great. So I leave to get something to eat and take a break, and come back later on. I get a game up with this guy, who I used to beat regular about 2 years ago. Well were playing 8 ball 10 bucks no big deal, i should make a quick 50 bucks before he quits. If I shoot like i was earlier this is going to be a breeze i thought. Because i have been losing money for the past 6 months every weekend its like a 100+ dollars of my hard earned money down the drain because i cant win no matter who i play. I thought that tonight was the night the i turned it all around and started winning alil bit, I dont want to get rich i just want to win every once in a while. But nope after that first game with him my head just turns into a fog the same shit start out strong in the beginning of the rack and at the end i become a choke artist then its a snowball going downhill from there when i start noticing Hes playing with a players sneaky pete, with a dirty ferrule, he croaches like a freaking praying mantis when he shoots, he cusses at himself/ hes negative towards himself. getting mad and slamming balls like a real loser except hes winning and im quite, well mannered and polite. and he takes off with my 100 dollars. So Im admitting to everyone here that im a natural born loser i cant win and ive learned to live with it, so im quitting pool for 1 month and i dont know if i will ever play again. sorry for being so long i just had to get it off my chest .

Don't eat before you play and don't play for money. It puts too much pressure on you. Some day when you have more money, you can try again.
Start small, a dollar or two a game. Build your confidence slowly.

If you don't enjoy playing, you should quit for a while. You sound like a very unhappy man. I suspect other things in your life are not going well either. When you get your life straightened out, come back to pool. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
what do you have when everything is failing? you have your basic fundamentals, sounds to me like you need instruction, and im proboly going to get ill repute for saying this but to me its the truth.. People say, whatever makes you confortable, play the way you want.. well.. your useualy the end result for sooo many players. (No offense) The truth is if you want to play like a champion (a winner) you must address the table as such, in both body and mind.

A tennis book wont help, sure some of the mentality is the same the difference is tennis has a physical release, you can exert more energy into a physical reaction to make use of the adrenaline that hits you.. in pool if you do this espeacialy on the break, you coulld kill a spectator.. lol...

whats going on with you isnt your fault, you have just been preparing yourself for a differnt kind of battle. The good news is this can be fixed, the bad news is that your talent may be tarnished from exposing yourself to the wrong direction.

Taking time off may help, but honestly your not going to get any better untill you find someone who understands the makeup of a winner, specificaly billiards..

GL!

SPINDOKTOR

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:

Where do you play?

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
patience.... Grasshopper....

Scottlucasi19 said:
I lost to a guy who cant run 4 balls on a bar table playing 8 ball, I used to drill this guy he hasnt even been practicing HE DONT PRACTICE.

I just drop down to their level and the slowly beat me just like always.

I practiced on a 9 foot table all week getting ready to go down to the pool hall and win some money. You practiced on a 9 footer yet go gamble on a bar-box... probably affects your play. There is more "room" on the 9 footer.

I went in to the bar early to get alil practice in before everyone got there. I was shooting like GOD I have never shot so good in my life. I could get out from anywhere, I was in the zone. It felt great. Many times when we practice by ourselves we believe we are "running out from anywhere", when in reality, we are missing several shots. I doesn't matter cuz we're shooting next and we feel we're playing great. Most of the time we're playing just like we always do.

So I leave to get something to eat and take a break, and come back later on.Even if you were playing great... once you left and came back... without a warm-up you may not be playing the same as before you left.

I get a game up with this guy, who I used to beat regular about 2 years ago. Well were playing 8 ball 10 bucks no big deal, i should make a quick 50 bucks before he quits. If I shoot like i was earlier this is going to be a breeze i thought.Overconfidence and a lack of respect.

Because i have been losing money for the past 6 months every weekend its like a 100+ dollars of my hard earned money down the drain because i cant win no matter who i play. Find "easier" games.... Play some "fun" matches with some of your friends that are either at your level, or slightly below. This should let you find out where your game really is at when you are relaxed. It sounds like your game goes south when the heat is on, so playing relaxed will show you "the best" you can presently play. Then realize that you will play poorer (at least right now) when you are gambling and adjust your game to cope with this fact. Play weaker players, ask for some weight... until you believe your "pressure game" returns.

But nope after that first game with him my head just turns into a fog the same shit start out strong in the beginning of the rack and at the end i become a choke artist then its a snowball going downhill from there when i start noticing Hes playing with a players sneaky pete, with a dirty ferrule, he croaches like a freaking praying mantis when he shoots, he cusses at himself/ hes negative towards himself. getting mad and slamming balls like a real loser except hes winning and im quite, well mannered and polite. I sounds like he's no world beater... not running racks, etc., so you must be getting to the table a lot. Maybe you aren't showing him enough respect...

and he takes off with my 100 dollars. So Im admitting to everyone here that im a natural born loser i cant win and ive learned to live with it, so im quitting pool for 1 month and i dont know if i will ever play again. sorry for being so long i just had to get it off my chest .
You didn't state how long or how many games it took for him to "take off with my 100 dollars".... You were playing for $10/game so... if he won 10 straight games or something like that... you are not matching up well...

It sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself to perform at an unrealistic level. No one plays their best all the time. Its a lot like golf... most people believe they are better than they really are... they shoot their best ever score and suddenly that becomes their standard score... they think they can shoot that score all the time, when really they may rarely approach that level. Lower your expectations and adjust your game/match-ups accordingly and see if that helps with your success ratio.

This is a lot of advice from someone who "couldn't beat an egg...", but what the hell... my 2 cents...

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:

First of all, why the hell are you even caring about him? WHY!? Forget him... forget his "attitude". Its *YOU* that you need to be worried about. You have officially been sharked. Hands down. And you took his bait when he started his ranting and you felt sentimental for him and that's why your mind just got really fogged up. What you should be thinking in your mind is: "Ok, I'm just gonna focus on MY table because it is MY TIME, MY PLACE, and MY ABILLITY to make every single shot without hesitation." Don't worry about any other opponent, because if they lose, they learned from THEIR mistakes (and yours too if they're sharks).

So are you a "natural born loser"? Only if your state of mind applies to it. But like everything... there's always a white light in the end of a hollow tunnel. Like Vince Lombardi says, "Winners never Quit and Quiters never Win! So DON'T GIVE UP!

Reactions: sde

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The fact is you were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself to be." -unknown

"You're never a loser until you quit trying." -Mike Ditka

"The winner persistently programs his pluses; the loser mournfully magnifies his minuses." -William Arthur Ward

"If at first you don't succeed, there's always darts." -TXPoolnut

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You suggest you hate pool but don't offer even one shred of evidence that this is true. You obviously hate losing money gambling, and you've made that point well.

I'll take it on faith that you were well prepared for this match, but my guess is that your losing attitude, which caused you to focus on your hatred of both pool and your opponent, ensured that once you fell behind, you stayed there.

rykaso

Registered
mornin' all...reminds me of a t-shirt I saw. "Winners never quit, Quitters never win". what if u never win or never quit? what does that make u?

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys I knew some could relate. Im meeting that guy again today at 2:00. Today is a new day, and I feel confident. Im going to beat him like a drum. Im not going to let him win a game. Im going to treat everygame like its my last. Im going to quietly and calmly destroy this guy...And then im going to take my month off.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know these people....

rykaso said:
mornin' all...reminds me of a t-shirt I saw. "Winners never quit, Quitters never win". what if u never win or never quit? what does that make u?

sounds a lot like the bad gamblers I know....

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I think Hangemhigh has a point.

What you don't mention is whether you feel like you choke when you're not playing for money. Why don't you just quit gambling and play for fun for a while. Or forever.

On the mental aspect, I recently read Zen Pool by Max Eberle and feel that it has helped me.