slabbing Ivory

JC

Coos Cues
Us spoiled, lazy, ignorant, moochy, newbie wannabee youtube cue builders don't walk 5 miles uphill through waist high snow to get to school but we're still there every morning even if mom drops us off in her SUV. Just because it's easier to figure things out in the information age we currently enjoy doesn't make people any dumber or less clever than their counterparts of 40 years ago.

And of course super glue finishes are not the best there is but they're quite a bit better than that dull yellow stuff that was put on the "legendary" cues of 50 years ago. And 50 years from now perhaps automotive clear coat finishes will be scoffed at when who know's what is invented. Maybe even something that doesn't kill you if you're not careful enough.:smile:

JC

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I give. Next new post will be about superglue finish and maybe you guys will comment about how to slab ivory effectively. Sheesh!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you , Chris. I will note that you are in the category of cuemakers who think superglue is a great finish.

TW
I do not think it is a great finish, but is an okay finish. I do think it is a good finish for the bottom couple of inches for a shaft. We could start a thread on the negatives and positives of all finishes and see if there are not positives and negatives for each one. Another good place I have found for super glue finish is joint protectors and writing pens. But I really do not like it for large areas as sanding gets to be a pain.

Here is a new thread on finishing.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5866638#post5866638

Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I truly am sorry that TW dislikes everyone here so much.

He could be a genuine hero if he wanted to. A shame.

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Cutting ivory

If any of the other posters would care to offer me some advice about cutting the ivory-I am all ears.

I have cut ivory relatively easy with a:
"Laguna Resaw King Blade 3/4" x 115" (Compatible with 14|12 Bandsaw)
SKU: BBRK-34-115". This blade cuts as smooth as silk has carbide teeth that are ground perfect. Not cheap ($150) but they last a long time. I use beeswax on the teeth part only as you want to keep it off the tires. Ivory gets hot so you might want to use a mister with soluble water to minimize warping/cracking of the slabs.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is another trick that you can use that keeps the tusk square. Sand a large flat on the bottom side of the tusk section then glue it down with epoxy to a 1/4" thick ply board. This works best after the tusk has been split down the middle. It will now glide through the band saw without fighting you to keep it square. This also works on those big blocks of stone slab. I used to farm out some sawing of those stone slabs to a counter top company owner and he taught me that trick. He could then cut from the top and almost hit the wood and and cut multiple slices then break them off. He also did another method and that was to put the block into a wood frame and fill it with mortar mix to give a big solid block to hold and saw.

This would work with Ivory if we poured some easy to cut plastic or hard foam material around it to make a plastic block with Ivory in the middle. The goal is to get it to stay square with the band saw fence without fighting you. I bet you guys can come with a number of ways to do it that have not already been mentioned.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another trick that you can use that keeps the tusk square. Sand a large flat on the bottom side of the tusk section then glue it down with epoxy to a 1/4" thick ply board. This works best after the tusk has been split down the middle. It will now glide through the band saw without fighting you to keep it square. This also works on those big blocks of stone slab. I used to farm out some sawing of those stone slabs to a counter top company owner and he taught me that trick. He could then cut from the top and almost hit the wood and and cut multiple slices then break them off. He also did another method and that was to put the block into a wood frame and fill it with mortar mix to give a big solid block to hold and saw.

This would work with Ivory if we poured some easy to cut plastic or hard foam material around it to make a plastic block with Ivory in the middle. The goal is to get it to stay square with the band saw fence without fighting you. I bet you guys can come with a number of ways to do it that have not already been mentioned.

Thanks, those are some great suggestions.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I never thought about anything that soft but it would be reusable. That much heat might cause the tusk to crack.

Commercially available paraffin is actually available in a range of melting temperatures, mostly 115-150deg F. It can also have additives to make it harder.

The plastics and thermoset foams would all need to be much hotter than that.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
There was an unforgivable wrong committed in this thread that I truly feel needs to be righted.
When TW goes to firing-off insults at all those around him, we kind of expect that; that's how he operates.
For him to insult Bob Dzuricky by including him in one of his disparaging remarks about vids that help up
and coming CMs to learn and to see more of what it's about, particularly from a professional, is shameful.
Bob Dzuricky is a true asset to this industry. His contributions to the craft are priceless.
He shares freely and asks for nothing in return. Mr Dzuricky has my respect and he knows what 'class' is.
The selection committee of the Hall of Fame would do themselves well by giving this man due consideration.

KJ

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was an unforgivable wrong committed in this thread that I truly feel needs to be righted.
When TW goes to firing-off insults at all those around him, we kind of expect that; that's how he operates.
For him to insult Bob Dzuricky by including him in one of his disparaging remarks about vids that help up
and coming CMs to learn and to see more of what it's about, particularly from a professional, is shameful.
Bob Dzuricky is a true asset to this industry. His contributions to the craft are priceless.
He shares freely and asks for nothing in return. Mr Dzuricky has my respect and he knows what 'class' is.
The selection committee of the Hall of Fame would do themselves well by giving this man due consideration.

KJ

KJ, I couldn't agree more. I won't pretend to know Mr. Waynes motives for including Bob's good name in that remark, only he does. I won't drag this dead horse through the mud any longer, but I will say that you are spot on with regards to DZ. He is pure class, and a HOF cuemaker NO doubt. :cool: His work is second to none IMHO.
Best regards.
Joe P

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
KJ, I couldn't agree more. I won't pretend to know Mr. Waynes motives for including Bob's good name in that remark, only he does. I won't drag this dead horse through the mud any longer, but I will say that you are spot on with regards to DZ. He is pure class, and a HOF cuemaker NO doubt. :cool: His work is second to none IMHO.
Best regards.
Joe P
I have no dog in this fight but, something needs clearing.

TW did not drag Bob's name.
He was implying so many watch DZ's videos and already think they know a lot.

Speaking of Bob, he does not wrestle with pigs.
But, he did one occasion when someone claimed his joint screw run-out was some .0002" . That's right, 2 tenths.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no dog in this fight but, something needs clearing.

TW did not drag Bob's name.
He was implying so many watch DZ's videos and already think they know a lot.

Speaking of Bob, he does not wrestle with pigs.
But, he did one occasion when someone claimed his joint screw run-out was some .0002" . That's right, 2 tenths.

As I said, I did not assume that TW was disparaging Bobs name, and my initial assumption of his comment/s intent, was along the line of what you posted here. :cool:
Only TW knows what his intentions were. I don't pretend to know, and will not speculate. It is a shame that this thread took such a U turn away from the OP's questions, IMO.
j2

Last edited: