Alvin’s 14.1 Commentary

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not news to anyone, but I just have to say — having just watched and listened to Alvin’s commentary on the first four racks of the Schmidt/Immonen 2019 DCC straight pool match — that I find him to be unbearable. Yes, one can simply mute the sound. But, IMO, what a shame that a stronger (or even just solid) commentator — and there are any number of them — hasn’t been asked to do the commentary.

akwusmc

Registered
Since I'm just getting back into pool, and when I was playing pool was just beginning to be a thing on tv, I'm just now starting hearing commentary on a pool match.

I think it's partly a function of commentators believing that they have to fill every single moment with 'commentary'. Particlularly distracting is when there are 1 or more good players in the booth, all describing how they would play the rack or trying to predict which ball Mika or John or Niels is going to play next.

The best commentating I heard recently was from 2016; it was Alvin and George Fels. it was pleasant because George was telling stories from the past that kept AJ quiet and had relevance to the match (though he did mention the new cloth and polished balls quite a bit).