Help identify early Adam carom cue

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you Google "ADAM carom cue" and click "Images" you see a lot that have metal joint screws. No way to tell what year as finding ADAM catalog info is basically impossible.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, pics did not post. Will try that, again.

BTW, the metal pins are at base of shaft like the full wood pins you see when you google as suggested above

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BTW, the metal pins are at base of shaft like the full wood pins you see when you google as suggested above
I've never seen an ADAM billiard cue with metal screw on the shaft. You might post this in the "Carom" section.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I've never seen an ADAM billiard cue with metal screw on the shaft. You might post this in the "Carom" section.

I acquired a lot of Adam cues in the early 90s...they were made in the early 80s....
...they were all snooker cues...Dennis Taylor won a title with one....
...about sis hundred of them had the oversize pin in the shaft....
....about 200 of them were aluminum...the rest were wood pins.

So Adam did use that technology...although I had no carom cues from them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I acquired a lot of Adam cues in the early 90s...they were made in the early 80s....
...they were all snooker cues...Dennis Taylor won a title with one....
...about sis hundred of them had the oversize pin in the shaft....
....about 200 of them were aluminum...the rest were wood pins.

So Adam did use that technology...although I had no carom cues from them.
Metal pin shaft is common on snooker cues but almost unheard of on carom cues.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If pin was stuck, it happened twice to two cues bought separately.

As far as being a snooker cue, the ferrules are over an inch long and not metal.

See if pic attaches this time.

Attachments

• 20191116_160232.jpg
    20191116_160232.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 20191116_160210.jpg
    20191116_160210.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 234

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If pin was stuck, it happened twice to two cues bought separately.

As far as being a snooker cue, the ferrules are over an inch long and not metal.

See if pic attaches this time.
IMO, those look to have been changed from wood to a metal pin. Wood pin could have broken and owner switched to what looks to be brass. Never seen an ADAM carom cue with pins like that. I could be wrong but that's what i think happened here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, those look to have been changed from wood to a metal pin. Wood pin could have broken and owner switched to what looks to be brass. Never seen an ADAM carom cue with pins like that. I could be wrong but that's what i think happened here.
The closer i look the more i think i'm on target. Those pins don't match each other. Someone cut off the wood screws and re-placed with these. Maybe wanted more forward balance or one broke and both were switched.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The closer i look the more i think i'm on target. Those pins don't match each other. Someone cut off the wood screws and re-placed with these. Maybe wanted more forward balance or one broke and both were switched.

They would have had to plug and tap the butt, too, right? I imagine the wood screw would have been much thicker.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They would have had to plug and tap the butt, too, right? I imagine the wood screw would have been much thicker.
No, they just would have had to match the internal threads on the butt. Its possible a plug/re-tap was done but those threads look coarse enough to me. If one had broken off they would just back it out.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they just would have had to match the internal threads on the butt. Its possible a plug/re-tap was done but those threads look coarse enough to me. If one had broken off they would just back it out.

Yeah, but it would be like screwing into the Grand Canyon, because the wood pins must be near twice the diameter of what’s shown.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These pix might help. The wrapless butt is warped. The shafts fit both even though they seem different.

The sticker on the warped butt should identify it.

If the pins were added later, it would mean it happened twice and bith coincidentally wound up with me over time

Attachments

• 20191117_123349.jpg
    20191117_123349.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 98
  • 20191117_123434.jpg
    20191117_123434.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 105

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sticking to my guns here. Those brass pins do not look like a factory item. Seen quite a few in person and hundreds of pics and never seen one with pins like these. IF these came this way this could be one of the rarest ADAM cues ever. I don't believe that to be the case.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if they did come that way, my last, Hail Mary guess is that they are pool cues intended for the Canadian or European market, where people would have possibly been more familiar with a pin in the shaft configuration.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if they did come that way, my last, Hail Mary guess is that they are pool cues intended for the Canadian or European market, where people would have possibly been more familiar with a pin in the shaft configuration.
Ya think?? That would make it rarer still. I think its just home-brew job. Probably replaced the ferrules as well.

Last edited: