Team CSI vs Team USA | Wed Nov 20 @ 5pm ET / 2pm PT

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You really think is the reason?? Sounds a tad far-fetched to me. Do you think the Brit soldiers stationed in India that invented snooker gave a rat's ass about the Orange Order? Its possible i guess but i kinda doubt it.

The great Joe Davis won a ‘snooker plus’ tournament in 1959....
...two extra colors....a purple and an orange ball.
...a perfect game was 210 points...I don’t think the orange color bothered anybody.

8C23B118-37CA-42DE-AC90-579F9D8BC913.jpeg

EB979B38-118C-4EE5-A293-6D72366F012B.jpeg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrasting Mosconi Cup preparations

Team USA
2 Mosconi Cup type warmups (Dream Challenge v Russia, Team USA v Team CSI). Been training on Mosconi Cup Rasson equipment/environment in Vegas.

Team Europe
In contrast, No Mosconi Cup type warmups.
Chilling out (and training) in LA. Only landing in Vegas today.

Team USA is warm while Team Europe is cool. Too cool in fact.
Team USA going hands on methodical planning approach while Team Europe is apparently going laid back instinctive "just do it" mode
Is Team Europe underprepared? Or maybe that is the perception they want to give and have something up their sleeves?
:D

mc euro.JPG

kf.JPG

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Bergman/Thorpe vs. Boyes/Dominguez match was over, with Boyes/Dominguez winning 5-3. That was match #4, taking the match score to 2-2. They then took an intermission, planned to be about 30 minutes. Over an hour and a half later, they announced the resumption was postponed, because of technical problems, until Thursday at 11 am local time.

Sweet, I had fallen asleep and figured I'd just watch the replay this morning on You-tube. I avoided this thread and figured I would check it after I couldn't find the remaining matches.
I guess I'd better be home for 2pm :)

Cheers,

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The great Joe Davis won a ‘snooker plus’ tournament in 1959....
...two extra colors....a purple and an orange ball.
...a perfect game was 210 points...I don’t think the orange color bothered anybody.

View attachment 534954

View attachment 534955

That version became obscure because Matchroom took over snooker.
It just has to bother matchroom, that is all.
This is not about sales for Aramith (I’m guessing they continue to produce traditional color sets that outsell this new set), matchroom wanted these colors and Frazier said it was final.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I'd like to see someone put a milk bucket under a bull. Those balls - yuck.

We had an interesting tour of Belfast last summer, learned a lot, saw a lot - was surprised to find out the issue with the color orange is indeed real. Kind of hard to put into context having not lived through any of what any of those involved lived through (and those issues are still very much alive) and after all it should just be a another color, but isn't always seen that way.

You really think is the reason?? Sounds a tad far-fetched to me. Do you think the Brit soldiers stationed in India that invented snooker gave a rat's ass about the Orange Order? Its possible i guess but i kinda doubt it.

Read Jeephawk quote above.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That version became obscure because Matchroom took over snooker.
It just has to bother matchroom, that is all.
This is not about sales for Aramith (I’m guessing they continue to produce traditional color sets that outsell this new set), matchroom wanted these colors and Frazier said it was final.

Snooker Plus was still around as of 2017

3395211B-4105-4DA4-BE6D-A4D07E049FED.jpeg

Some people really dig it
451E64D3-2048-41D2-8AD4-611F5E0ABFAE.jpeg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some British higher-ups hate the color orange. This has lead to the banning of orange In certain British companies from equipment to uniforms.
I’m assuming Matchroom is following suit with this design that they requested. According to the commentary in the first match, Ms. Frazier mentioned that the change was final and the players would have to step into modern times and adjust.

The Society of United Irishmen was formed by liberal Presbyterians and Anglicans in Belfast in 1791. It sought reform of the Irish Parliament, Catholic Emancipation and the repeal of the Penal Laws. By the time the Orange Order was formed, the United Irishmen had become a revolutionary group advocating an independent Irish republic that would "Unite Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

I always assumed this was why there is no orange ball in snooker.

With orange being a primary color, there is no physical/logical reason to eliminate it from the game of pool.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2017/may17.pdf

then they shouldnt have green either. orange = loyalist, green = republican

i don't buy it. matchroom must think this somehow enhances the viewer experience and aramith has a new ball set to sell. i can't stand that 9-ball...

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, they're now late

(anyone find a stream?)

Nope!
I'm refreshing the Matchroom Pool page on Youtube. Last night they said they were dumping the facebook stream and going only with Youtube.

11:17am PST: I've got a War-room set up, refreshing FB, Twitter, AZB, and YouTube. Nobody's got nut'n.

11:23am PST: ALERT! The peasants are revolting, on Facebook. Fans griping that other fans are griping. Wait... 3rd-level gripes have started!

Last edited: