Instead of alternate break, why don't they cap it at a 3 pack or something

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's kinda dumb from a competition standpoint when someone breaks and runs a set, but alternate break is not the most fun to watch.

Are there any tournaments that limit you to a 3 pack or something similar?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's kinda dumb from a competition standpoint when someone breaks and runs a set, but alternate break is not the most fun to watch.

I have thought about that but never saw it anywhere. I do think if Player A runs out the set, Player B should get a shot to do the same But i guess it is 'why bother' as it is a one in 500000 chance or so. I've watched a lot of pool and never saw it happen but i dont watch bar table matches if i can help it..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Been playin' 40yrs and never heard of doing this. Try runnin' one with this rule and let us know how it worked. Doesn't sound horrible but i doubt it ever happens.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have thought about that but never saw it anywhere. I do think if Player A runs out the set, Player B should get a shot to do the same But i guess it is 'why bother' as it is a one in 500000 chance or so. I've watched a lot of pool and never saw it happen but i dont watch bar table matches if i can help it..

Kaci did it to Alex P. last year playing 10 ball on a 9 footer. It is on youtube.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah i know it has happened -I just said i have never seen it.

My bad. Didn't realize you meant in person. I haven't either. Closest I have seen in person was Bergman break and run 8 from the flip in a race to 9. He broke dry the ninth game.

I would rather see matches played alternate break personally. Close matches are more exciting than blowouts to me.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the wyoming open does this. Bar table event that draws top players (SVB, Archer, Sky, Corey, etc.)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
People got annoyed in our league if you ran out at all because it's one game, and then wait 45 minutes to play again. You might sit there for an hour, shake hands, the opponent runs the table, and you sit back down again for another 45.

It's life, and if someone runs a set on me, I get up and shake their hand for a job well done.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
People got annoyed in our league if you ran out at all because it's one game, and then wait 45 minutes to play again. You might sit there for an hour, shake hands, the opponent runs the table, and you sit back down again for another 45.

It's life, and if someone runs a set on me, I get up and shake their hand for a job well done.

i do the same, dont bother me a bit, i only get upset with my own lack of focus
but the majority are different

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alternate break is not the most fun to watch

It’s way more fun to watch than winner breaks. In my opinion. I prefer to see both players under pressure rather than one. It’s a contest, not an exhibition match. A tournament not a cash game.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the wyoming open does this. Bar table event that draws top players (SVB, Archer, Sky, Corey, etc.)

Correct!!

The Masters Division of the Wyoming Open in Saratoga & High Desert Shootout in Rawlins both have rules that state winner breaks a maximum of 3 games in a row.