Preferred Cloth Color For Tournament Tables

Which Color Cloth for Tournament Tables?

• Total voters

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I prefer watching tournaments on blue cloth. I put Simonis Green on my GCI, now that it is worn out I am leaning towards going to Tournament Blue but I also like the English Green.
As far as the blue on Diamonds I firmly believe they use blue for marketing purposes. I have heard people say that tables covered in green cloth were not Simonis cloth, I asked them how they knew because it sure looked like Simonis to me, they said "because its green and not blue, Simonis is blue". These were people who played pool frequently, both leagues and local tournaments. What a better idea to set your tables a part by changing the color of the cloth, every other table has green, Diamond chose blue.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Every so often someone references a study that says blue is easier on the eyes, makes it easier to focus/concentrate etc.

Greg Sullivan subscribes to that thought, and pushed blue simonis hard, and since he has the main table company, the trend grew.

To be honest, I have a suspicion that it also includes some concept of branding, but I am seemingly alone in that theory.

It seems to go in waves, sometimes people flock to blue, years back camel/tan had a run (same logistics), gold for a while, and this isnt blues first go round.

I will be happy when it cycles back to green. Green means something. ;)
I haven't seen that study. I just like the Tournament Blue.

My lawn is green but that choice was made for me.
e3fdec7ad0a88048c38dac08bfc56b9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always liked green and my table is currently covered in Simonis green. I will be going to Tournament blue when the table needs to be recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer watching tournaments on blue cloth. I put Simonis Green on my GCI, now that it is worn out I am leaning towards going to Tournament Blue but I also like the English Green.
As far as the blue on Diamonds I firmly believe they use blue for marketing purposes. I have heard people say that tables covered in green cloth were not Simonis cloth, I asked them how they knew because it sure looked like Simonis to me, they said "because its green and not blue, Simonis is blue". These were people who played pool frequently, both leagues and local tournaments. What a better idea to set your tables a part by changing the color of the cloth, every other table has green, Diamond chose blue.
Might be partly that but most is the result of test(s) that Simonis looked at. Better contrast and less eye-strain. Blue has become standard on pro tennis courts for same reason: much better contrast when it comes to balls being in or out. Green is traditional and is still ok but Tournament Blue is simply better for playing on.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournament blue is my favorite - can get dirty looking faster than green, but if you keep the balls and cloth clean, it is clearly superior to green

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I votedwfer 'other' because I like Powder Blue. It's even lighter than tournament blue.

Powder Blue is my favourite. I’d take Tournament Blue over Green but both are great. Anything else is novelty, not that that in itself is necessarily a bad thing.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also find tournament blue to be the pinnacle of human achievement in regards to worsted wool cloth color. For whatever reasons I can’t say, I just love the color and it seems natural to me.

I couldn’t imagine blue on a snooker table though, they need to stay green. It all looks so good with their color scheme.

We even changed our 10' snooker table to blue, that's what the players wanted. I would say we don't really have snooker players more like pool players on a snooker table.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Might be partly that but most is the result of test(s) that Simonis looked at. Better contrast and less eye-strain. Blue has become standard on pro tennis courts for same reason: much better contrast when it comes to balls being in or out. Green is traditional and is still ok but Tournament Blue is simply better for playing on.

Maybe its because the green on pool tables is too dark compared to tournament blue. Light green probably would not look very appealing. I have heard that humans see more shades of green than any other color.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted 'other' because I like Powder Blue. It's even lighter than tournament blue.
Played on PB once and didn't like it at all. Not enough contrast at least for me. Hardly if ever see it in rooms. Whatever floats ur boat.