Humble Pie at the Mosconi Cup

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He's definitely not the new Earl. Earl behaved (and still does I assume) like that always, at every event he has ever played on, against every opponent he ever played.

I have seen Filler in person at several events (Eurotours, European Championships, Deurne City Classic event in Holland) and he is always very calm and silent and respectful to everyone he plays. Nowhere he shows this Mosconi behavior we saw this week, except at the Mosconi Cup.

I really believe he was instructed or at least encouraged by Matchroom to let himself go like this. Seeing him smile while doing it has me believing he loves it too, though.

What I meant by the new Earl was so many people hate him. I guess losers hate success.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Filler #1 in the world?.. I think not.

I wish people like you had an endless supply of money.

He lost a race to 5, 5 to 3 guess that makes him a sucker.

I guess Shane is an APA 3 since he lost to the sucker 10 to 1?

And yes, he is literally the world #1

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish people like you had an endless supply of money.

He lost a race to 5, 5 to 3 guess that makes him a sucker.

I guess Shane is an APA 3 since he lost to the sucker 10 to 1?

And yes, he is literally the world #1

Maybe #1 in the World 9 ball.. tell you
what, Filler vs Dennis, One Pocket head to
head, putting up their own money.. I’ll
bet on Robocop all day long.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Sure, a game he doesn't play.

Let Dennis play Ronnie O some snooker, since you want to be silly.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who was watching live and in person, know what Filler was so mad about after he beat Shane the second time, it appeared he as looking into a certain spot in the crowd and screaming like someone said or did something in the arena....

It is at 26:48 here.....
https://youtu.be/o7ZORSHUJ4w

Just curious what happened. Maybe he saw a sign or something?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one point someone near the crowd shouted while he was set and about to shoot. That pissed him off.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Like him or not, the matches I most looked forward to seeing were Filler's. His talent is unquestionable.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
actually i hope he doesnt change and continues to wear his heart on his sleeve. its more meaningful for him to be passionate and provocative and be able to take losses on the chin have a good cry or whatever and come back for more of the same. thats the mark of true confidence and not arrogance

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like him or not, the matches I most looked forward to seeing were Filler's. His talent is unquestionable.

His record in single play was 18-6. 5-0, 5-0, 5-1 and 3-5.

He basically ran over us but the thing people will remember is Sky beating him 5-3 to win the cup.

He is a great player with tons of firepower. The question moving forward is whether or not he will continue to improve. He has overshadowed Shaw in the last year or so.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last time they played 10 ball for cash Filler beat Dennis 13-5. Dennis immediately unscrewed. No negotiating to play again or anything which I thought was odd.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Last time they played 10 ball for cash Filler beat Dennis 13-5. Dennis immediately unscrewed. No negotiating to play again or anything which I thought was odd.

Filler also beat Orcullo in late night action during the International. They played two sets, both won easily by Filler. I didn't watch but heard about the match the next morning from someone who did watch it.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler also beat Orcullo in late night action during the International. They played two sets, both won easily by Filler. I didn't watch but heard about the match the next morning from someone who did watch it.

That was what I saw. From your statement I only caught the second set. That makes more sense.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...You DO understand that the "body slam" comment was a reference to the WWE don't you? Certainly not a physical threat to anyone! IMO, your reading comprehension is seriously lacking. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Maybe Filler knows how to take care of himself and might just kick somebody in the nuts and then gouge their eyes with a pencil if they tried that 'tough guy' routine on him?
Whatta' ya going to do....sucker punch him when he isn't looking? Then someone else sucker punches you with a pool stick to the side of your head. Then someone stabs the guy with the pool stick. Then 3 or 4 pistols come out blazing away endangering everyone. That's how it escalates.
Violence has no place at these events. Leave that to the NFL thugs.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah heard Dennis lost to Filler in Vegas on a short race and wanted a second set. Filler said no go b/c he had dinner plans with his wife.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn’t bothered by it all honestly.. It was Mosconi cup fun and it’s what makes this event so special. I wish we could see a little more of it. Maybe it will get more people to watch pool. We need some people to show emotion and fire up the crowd a bit. In this day and age with all the entertainment options guys quietly potting balls isn’t going to get it done

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn’t bothered by it all honestly.. It was Mosconi cup fun and it’s what makes this event so special. I wish we could see a little more of it. Maybe it will get more people to watch pool. We need some people to show emotion and fire up the crowd a bit. In this day and age with all the entertainment options guys quietly potting balls isn’t going to get it done

Agreed. But we can shoot back. Put Earl on the team. Nobody will pay any attention to Filler! Lol

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Anyone who thinks Filler doesn't stand a good chance of beating Shane gambling doesn't know too much about pool. He straight up had Shane dogging it, and if that happens early in a long race, Shane could be the one to get blown out, and not the other way around. He has great 9 ball AND 10 ball breaks... Extremely controlled cut break in 9 ball, and dead perfect impact and squatting back about a foot from the rack, dead middle of the table in 10 ball. And he shoots WAY straighter than Shane. Shane gets it done, but he always looks like he's fighting his own stroke on the shots most demanding of good execution. Filler simply seems to never feel any pressure, or if he does, for a game or two before he flips the switch.

I think that 13-5 score against Dennis O. is prolly indicative of what's really up between the two players, and I guarantee you Filler has absolutely no fear of Shane in 9 ball, and it would only be backers getting in the way of them matching up in 10 ball.

I get the rah rah USA stuff, but Shane is the product of work ethic, and Filler is the product of Earl-level talent PLUS work ethic. If Filler sticks with the game, he'll eclipse Shane's career in the end.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my prediction. Filler can beat any one of these guys but he can't beat them all! If he continues to play top players they will eventually wear him out. He could play all the 9-Ball he wanted if he traveled to the Philippines or Taiwan. They would line up to play him and at some point they would wear him out.

If he's smart (and I think he is) he will continue to pick his spots and only play when he's ready. His wife is pretty sharp too from what I can see. In other words you can get too much of a good thing. He would be foolish to wear himself out playing too many big money matches against tough opposition.

Dennis O. has probably been the most prolific big money player the last few years and even he gets burned out on occasions and has a bad match. He went home this last time for that very reason. He told me he was tired and needed a break from pool.