Pictures of hackwork section!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
side_d.jpg

that's what my pal shared with me, he said authorized Diamond installer :confused: did this kind of work for him. The wet spot is how this hack tried to cope with the problem, hoping the cloth will shrink and set down.

My friend said this was going to be fixed but by the same company :eek:So apparently it is not worth it.
Could anyone recommend a skilled table mechanic in Canada?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
View attachment 266301

that's what my pal shared with me, he said authorized Diamond installer :confused: did this kind of work for him. The wet spot is how this hack tried to cope with the problem, hoping the cloth will shrink and set down.

My friend said this was going to be fixed but by the same company :eek:So apparently it is not worth it.

Using water only lets the cloth become loose, tell your friend to get an iron, set the temp to Wool, and iron the wrinkles out by heat shrinking the cloth:wink:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
And for only 25.00 a table too!

Felt on bed had wasn't stretched, obviously didn't recover rails or do anything with any of the almost petrified cushions, and I watched the new cushion going on the 3c table- laid on and no real alignment or stretch there either. Tried to talk to him but "no speaky inglis". Proof of you get what you pay for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 971

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I got about a ball and a half lift with the felt on this one. I made a comment that i would show this guy a little bit better way to do things and the room owner told me to leave lol. Guess I won't be playing there after all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I thought I had seen the worst table work ever in this section but I keep getting table calls to fix hacked up crap that just blow my mind.
In the pics is a 70's fibre board rail. The cushions have a stapling flap that over lays the subrail and is stapled down, the owner had no idea, he got the table off Craigslist and figured he put new cushions on it because it was a little slow.... He found add on Craigslist about a guy who did table work and he sells himself real well'
The table owner got some k66 cushions on eBay cuz it says fits most 8 ft tables'
The hack stripped the old cushions off the table and it didn't cross his mind that the k66 cushions would no way in any shape or form be proper!
The glue would not hold because he only put one coat on so that fibre wood sucked the glue into it, then he stapled the cushions on..
You can see the old staples in the top of the rail that held the old cushions in place that he just seam to leave in place.... If you was to cut the staple flaps off the top and bottom of old cushion it would measure 3/4 at the back and 5/8ths in the top and bottom! The bevel is only a 3/4" face!
- I give the owner a bid for a replacement set of rails&pockets, no way I coulda helped him working with his set of rails.. Can't believe anyone would attempt such a no brainer!
Enjoy the pics'
-
-
Rob.M
-

What are the cushion heights, about an inch? Did the owner try to play on the table when he finished it? He would have been running around dodging balls fired at him every time they rebounded from acushion:rotflmao1:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I agree that hardware problems can happen pretty routinely. However, with a bolt with clean threads going into the same size and thread count insert with clean threads, seizing does NOT happen routinely. There's something that causes the hardware to fail. The Hack part of it comes in when whoever runs into a snag doesn't back off and try to thread the bolt straight, or clean the cloth bits out of the threads, or replace the bolt with one that isn't already MISSING THREE THREADS from being cross-threaded before. It's a hack that sees problems like this and throws it together anyway. It's a hack that will feel a bolt start to seize, but go ahead and run it up until the t-nut busts loose or the bolt itself sheers in half.

In the auto industry, I'm sure lots of things contribute to hardware failure...rust and corrosion, expansion and contraction from the extreme heat, dirt and debris, previous hacks...etc etc etc. :D SOMETHING causes the failure. In this case, I didn't ASSUME anything. I KNOW the guys that worked on the table before me. I've seen their work. I've seen them run rail bolts up through the top of a rail with an impact wrench. I've seen them "level" slate with a level that they knew was half a bubble off. The lists goes on and on. I'm not assuming they did hack work. I've seen it first hand.

But I think you're missing the point. I didn't post this to call out or accuse or bad mouth anyone else. If calling this stuff hackwork hurts your feelings or offends you, I'm sorry. The point is, although maybe not an every day occurrence, stuff like this does happen occasionally. I've seen plenty of guys that would have left the bolts out or tried to rig something to make it half-assed work. Point is, here's a problem some of you might run into at some point, and here's what I think is the "proper" solution to that problem.

The only hardware failure I regularly see that is not caused by human ineptness (not including corrosion and such, I am referring to new or like new fasteners only) is with stainless or aluminum fasteners, if there is just the slightest bur on them they seize together so tightly it almost seems as they are welded. Once this happens the fasteners wont come apart, if they do they are severely damaged, usually you don't even feel the bur or friction that initiates the problem.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

What are the cushion heights, about an inch? Did the owner try to play on the table when he finished it? He would have been running around dodging balls fired at him every time they rebounded from acushion:rotflmao1:

-
Ouch

Thank you,
Rob.M

Last edited:

Pooldoctor

Registered
Ironing

Using water only lets the cloth become loose, tell your friend to get an iron, set the temp to Wool, and iron the wrinkles out by heat shrinking the cloth:wink:

I've seen this issue arise from leaving too much slack for the side pocket flaps. Cloth was pulled side to side first , then side pockets closed out, and then long ways last. I'm glad to know using a iron set to wool will shrink the cloth eliminating the wrinkles. Thanks

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've seen this issue arise from leaving too much slack for the side pocket flaps. Cloth was pulled side to side first , then side pockets closed out, and then long ways last. I'm glad to know using a iron set to wool will shrink the cloth eliminating the wrinkles. Thanks

Mist first, then iron...it'll shrink right up:D but if my stretch index is used, I tell everyone exactly how much slack is needed in the side pockets so this wouldn't be a problem...if they follow the instructions;)

Pooldoctor

Registered
Stretch Index

Mist first, then iron...it'll shrink right up:D but if my stretch index is used, I tell everyone exactly how much slack is needed in the side pockets so this wouldn't be a problem...if they follow the instructions;)
I appreciate your experience. Tell me how would I obtain your stretch index? I've already purchased the Simonis recovering tapes from Felice. I 've read posts where you stated you were compiling a barbox glue down video. When and where can I purchase that?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your experience. Tell me how would I obtain your stretch index? I've already purchased the Simonis recovering tapes from Felice. I 've read posts where you stated you were compiling a barbox glue down video. When and where can I purchase that?

A case of Dr Pepper and he will be singing like a bird. Throw in a good home-cooked meal and he will build you a table from yard scraps and few interior doors.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As amusing as some of these pictures are of screwed up jobs working on pool tables, it can be quite as amusing seeing what the person who posted the HACK work making fun of it....did to FIX the problems, as most of their work leaves a lot to be desired as well:thumbup:

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Honestly, I enjoy pics of all of the work... Good and bad.
There is always something to learn, even if its what NOT to do! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
View attachment 266301

NICE!!! The "installers" would not have been permitted to leave until this was fixed if it was my table, or at least not with any of my money and my having been reimbursed for the cloth if I supplied it.

As amusing as some of these pictures are of screwed up jobs working on pool tables, it can be quite as amusing seeing what the person who posted the HACK work making fun of it....did to FIX the problems, as most of their work leaves a lot to be desired as well:thumbup:

Now.....thats one I agree with Glen on......Ive seen some pics of the AZ mechanics rail work lately.....customers (PM) of the tables or just rails they just did.
I wouldn't be posting pics of others hack work......their work belongs in this thread as well.

No....im not going to post their pics......but they know who they are.

Mark Gregory