Looking for a new LD shaft

murphys_law

Registered
I currently have a McDermott I2 and an OB Classic that I have shot with for years. Well last night I swapped back to a regular maple shaft and realized after the first shot how dead LD shafts can be. So now I have an itch to find a new LD shaft that has a little more feel. I know I will never get the feel of a true maple shaft but there should be something closer than what I am currently using. I have been reading quite a few older threads and stuck between bd ss360p, tiger pro x or bd ss360/2. As I said before I am looking for a better feel but still need something that does as good a job as an I2 or the OB for deflection.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz 700 is very good and so is the Meucci Pro. I have a Meucci Pro with a 3/8-10 pin for one of my McDermotts.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz shafts are worth a look. I'm partial to the ex pro but I don't think they make it for other joints. Other Mezz shafts are in a few joints.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

murphys_law

Registered
The Mezz 700 is very good and so is the Meucci Pro. I have a Meucci Pro with a 3/8-10 pin for one of my McDermotts.

Any idea how the Mezz 700 stacks up to the 900?

Mezz shafts are worth a look. I'm partial to the ex pro but I don't think they make it for other joints. Other Mezz shafts are in a few joints.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

you are correct, on their site only have united joint or wavy joint for the ex pro.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea how the Mezz 700 stacks up to the 900?

you are correct, on their site only have united joint or wavy joint for the ex pro.

I don't own any Mezz shafts, but I have shot with both the 700 and 900. I prefer the 700.

The 700 is 12.5 mm and pro taper.

The 900 is 12 mm and conical taper...too thin for me and I don't like conical tapers.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Go as thin as you can.
2) Take Mezz over anything else.
3) Try out Player's HXT.
4) Tiger Pro X is rumored to be rather good in the feeling area. But I cant agree with their pricing and business practices.
5) Give Katana 11.X mm a shot.
6) Watch out for a proper tip.
7) Don't take Predator. Never.

murphys_law

Registered
1) Go as thin as you can.
2) Take Mezz over anything else.
3) Try out Player's HXT.
4) Tiger Pro X is rumored to be rather good in the feeling area. But I cant agree with their pricing and business practices.
5) Give Katana 11.X mm a shot.
6) Watch out for a proper tip.
7) Don't take Predator. Never.

1. I have been thinking about trying a 11.75mm
2. Thinking about it.
3. Your #2 is going to rule this out
4. They are cheaper than a Mez and what did they do? Haven't read anything about this.
5. Again #2 should rule this out.
6. Which ever shaft I end up will get either a Kamui or a G2 tip
7. LOL

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How was the deflection between the 2?

I didn't play with them at the same time, so I didn't have a side-by-side comparison.

I think the 900 may have a little bit less, but I didn't try it out for the length of time I tried out the 700. The difference is negligible, I'm sure, but I don't like the really thin shafts of any type...deflection or no deflection.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
the Mezz wd 700 plays awesome easy spin very low defection my guess would be the 900 is even less and just so you know I am shooting with a Kenny Murrell butt modified 3/8-10 pin with the wd 700 shaft zan medium tip. hit is a little stiff but great feedback i can make a table length cut with th ob ball on the rail using spin to kick it in almost no compensation very similar to Z2 and ob 11.75mm

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking for LD shafts with great feel, these should be on your list:

- Mezz WX700 (12.5mm)
- Mezz WX900 (12.0mm)
- Mezz EX Pro (12.5mm)
- SS360/2 (can order it in whatever tip diameter you like)
- Joss the Natural (12.5mm)

I can`t say I have played extensively with every shaft out there, but I have tried more shafts and shaft/tip/butt combos than most players. And I think feel is in many ways more important than the lowest possible deflection. I can`t stand the original OB shafts, predator or Jacoby, there is no feel or feedback. The new offerings from OB, especially the shafts that uses a LBM ferrule instead of their own proprietary wooden ferulle play ok.
The new 314/3 has more feedback than previous offering, but is still low on my list.
Jacoby Edge is just way too many splices and too much glue for me.
The Joss LD shafts are pretty rare, very few players seems to know that Joss makes LD shafts, and they play great. They have one laminated shaft, it`s too stiff for me, but the "natural" is a great LD shaft.
McDermott shafts, ok but very stiff.
Viking, not my cup of tea, and I think the exact shot ones are pure BS.
Tiger, pretty good shafts, but other brands do it better
Pechauer, nothing special.
Katana, surprisingly good for the money.
Lucasi, nothing special.
I have not tried the new LD shaft from Schon.
I have tried a few European brands too, but that might be hard to get in the states.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
go custom Joe calaluca makes his own ld out of solid maple so does dunkel and mike webb I have a couple of loes and a webb cue they hit awesome and very ld and they will make to whatever tip sizes you want

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'm basically a solid maple shaft guy but recently have been experimenting with 3 different ld shafts and basically really enjoy shooting with all 3.

Meucci Pro 12.5mm
Meucci Ultimate Weapon Pro 11.85mm
Predator Revo 12.4mm

Would recommend all 3 to anyone.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsars True Shaft

got my TrueShaft from Samsara this week. hands down the best feeling LD shaft I've played with.

I've tried Jacoby, 5 different Predator, 3 different OB over the last 10 years.

the true shaft is solid maple. by solid I mean not laminated. I understand the end is hollow. but to me it feels like my old maple shafts.

I have been using predator 314-3 for last 2 years and that was the best of the above lot, until I tried the True Shaft.

the true shaft has the exact same deflection that my 314-3 has, so no adjustment for me needed.

the differences between my 314-3 and the true shaft.
1. I do notice however that on spin shots, it puts more spin on the ball. that could be difference in tip. my 314-3 has kamui ss, while the "stocK" tip on the true shaft appears to be samsara med.
2. it has a much more 'solid' hit and my speed is now off. this is my biggest adjustment. I play pretty much ONLY 1 pocket and my speed (IMO) was very good with the 314-3, but is faster with the true shaft. In my mind it's because the hit is much more solid than the predator.

I have only had it for a few days, but don't think I'll ever go back to the predator.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Next Gen Tiger Pro-X and other shafts about to come out!

1. I have been thinking about trying a 11.75mm
2. Thinking about it.
3. Your #2 is going to rule this out
4. They are cheaper than a Mez and what did they do? Haven't read anything about this.
5. Again #2 should rule this out.
6. Which ever shaft I end up will get either a Kamui or a G2 tip
7. LOL

The Next Gen Tiger Pro-X and other shafts about to come out!
I think the Pro-X will go from 11.75mm tip to a 12.25mm tip! Sounds awesome! I have an Mezz EXPro and love it as well.

MalibuMike

Banned
Just Got the new Jacoby Ultra Pro 12.75mm! AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!

It's my new player!
And I have two MEZZ ProEx's because I thought no one would come close,
Jacoby did it! Also Im curious now about the Other 11.75 Jacoby Ultra Pro, it should be even lower deflection if my Astrophysics serves me right....
I put a Zan Medium ON MINE! AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 20170607110351-51e6539a.jpg
    20170607110351-51e6539a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 330
  • 20170607110342-64131636.jpg
    20170607110342-64131636.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 20170607110335-da100cf8.jpg
    20170607110335-da100cf8.jpg