Jerry Franklin - Southwest Sneaky Pete cue.

Attachments

• SW 2.jpg
    SW 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • SW 1.jpg
    SW 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,083
  • SW 4.jpg
    SW 4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,084
  • SW 3.jpg
    SW 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,077
Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At $2500;I doubt that cue plays more than 3 X better than a Scruggs sneaky- Standard Scruggs sneaky about $700 to $800- More Fancy Scruggs sneaky about $1200. Someone would be paying more for rarity than anything else IMO. They can ask whatever they want; I would personally take an interest at more like $1500. Others may differ; but $1500 would be my limit on that cue.I had a very rare Frank Paradise SP once and all I got was about $300 for it- played nothing like his other cues, even though it was well constructed. I guess if one had the opportunity to hit with this Franklin SP and they knew it hit like a standard Southwest- then that is a different story and the $2500 may be a good price- I would have to hit with it first to pay the $2500.

At $2500;I doubt that cue plays more than 3 X better than a Scruggs sneaky- Standard Scruggs sneaky about $700 to $800- More Fancy Scruggs sneaky about $1200. Someone would be paying more for rarity than anything else IMO. They can ask whatever they want; I would personally take an interest at more like $1500. Others may differ; but $1500 would be my limit on that cue.I had a very rare Frank Paradise SP once and all I got was about $300 for it- played nothing like his other cues, even though it was well constructed. I guess if one had the opportunity to hit with this Franklin SP and they knew it hit like a standard Southwest- then that is a different story and the $2500 may be a good price- I would have to hit with it first to pay the $2500.

Yeah, I can only imagine that someone would buy that cue for the rarity of it. It might hit really nice though. It appears to be a monster player (I can only imagine). Those shafts look really great, in my opinion. Love that pin.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The points aren't even, not that it matters to me. I have a Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete with uneven points.

Is that a Schmelke blank by any chance?

My friend has a Searing Sneaky made from a Schmelke blank.

I'll get some pictures and post them the next time I see him in the pool hall with it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I can only imagine that someone would buy that cue for the rarity of it. It might hit really nice though. It appears to be a monster player (I can only imagine). Those shafts look really great, in my opinion. Love that pin.

How can you say "it might hit really nice" and then say "it appears to be a monster player?"

What does that even mean? That you can tell how it plays because of the "name" or the looks of the cue?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

It will hit different .
Better would be very subjective .
That one would have a fatter handle and stiffer shaft than your TS.
That is if it has the SW taper now .

TS sneakies hit great. I've tried a SW satin cue that hit pretty awesome too .

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The points aren't even, not that it matters to me. I have a Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete with uneven points.

I'll get some pictures and post them the next time I see him in the pool hall with it.

And Dennis didn't mislead his customer on that point?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

He's Baaaacck! You just got the wrist slap LOL.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
If this were the quiz show "Guess the Blank" sorry but I would have to go with Dufferin conversion. SW fans flame away! It's a conversion or blank of some kind. The piece at the butt looks like rosewood or macassar and doesn't match the handle. Looks like my Dufferin's.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this were the quiz show "Guess the Blank" sorry but I would have to go with Dufferin conversion. SW fans flame away! It's a conversion or blank of some kind. The piece at the butt looks like rosewood or macassar and doesn't match the handle. Looks like my Dufferin's.

$2500 asking price for it makes it the most expensive Dufferin I've seen.

Last edited:
How can you say "it might hit really nice" and then say "it appears to be a monster player?"

What does that even mean? That you can tell how it plays because of the "name" or the looks of the cue?

Yeah, it might hit really nice (I would not know until I had a chance to play with it), but opinions would differ, but I do think it looks like a really great player, based on what I see (big 3/8x11 pin, and those shafts look like they are the perfect taper for what I like in shafts). So, to me, I think it looks like I would really enjoy shooting with it, but I will never know.

I see that it is far from what SW fans would look for in SW cues, because it is just so different then the common SW cue, and the taper of the shafts are very different too. SW shafts normally have a much stiffer taper on them. The taper in those 2 shafts looks very long.

And Dennis didn't mislead his customer on that point?

It is surprising to hear that a cue maker like Searing ever used a Schmelke blank to build one of his cues, but a blank is just a bank, and I imagine the finished product from Searing would have been a very good quality cue, even if made from a Schmelke blank.

I have seen a few Dufferin conversions made by Searing. They looked very nice.

I think it looks like a house cue conversion. Even the house cues had the red maple leaf on them, so I do not think that was a Dufferin. Can't tell from the pics though. Maybe the maple leaf is there.

I recall seeing some Searing ‘Dufferins’ going for more then this.

But yeah, 2500 is toward the higher end for a Dufferin. :)

Me too, but those Searing conversions (from a Dufferin) were pure class, and very high quality.

That $2500 cue looks like a very sloppy conversion house cue, and I am not sure if a new finish would make the cue look much better.

The Dufferin conversions with quality finishes on them, and high quality shafts made for them (like the ones made by Searing), are so much nicer.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=250726

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Me too, but those Searing conversions (from a Dufferin) were pure class, and very high quality.

That $2500 cue looks like a very sloppy conversion house cue, and I am not sure if a new finish would make the cue look much better.

The Dufferin conversions with quality finishes on them, and high quality shafts made for them (like the ones made by Searing), are so much nicer.

On the Searing Dufferin, you would have to go through a ton of Dufferin's to get a worthy candidate.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Murray Tucker doesn't do too bad. Mine is shiny. Not a Dufferin. Cocobolo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited: