Ultimate playing equipment

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are your preferences for pool(pocket billiards) games...

1. table/cloth
2. balls
3. triangle(ball rack)

Researching for possible future pool hall. Mahalo for your time up front and good shooting.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GC Box, the old 860 cloth, 4.5" pockets, what ever cue works the best for me-with a triangle tip, diamond light(new model), a good triangle to rack the new Aramith balls with, old Master chalk, pounds of baby powder-preferably J&J, regular tip tapper, white terry cloth crying towel not washed with softner, a good case for my cue, bank-roll. Action. Anything else isnt necessary.

optional is a iPod.

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Fatboy. I'm sure you racked with a lot of different racks. Which brand and model (if apropriate) do you prefer.

Mahalo Carl

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
7' Diamond Smart for 8 ball.9' Diamond 4.5 inch,pro cut,drop pockets for any game esp 1 pocket.Any rack except the cheap wood that leaves slivers or the flimsy plastic.Simonis any color.Diamond lights or similar light that create even light without glare.Master chalk,same color as the cloth.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Gold Crown with 4.25-4.5" pockets. Simonis 860 cloth (not HR). Wooden Diamond rack. Old Masters chalk or Blue Diamond.

Snake Plisken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) TABLE; Either a Diamond Pro-Am/Professional or any GC set up by RKC with 4 1/2" pockets (9 footers of course).

-CLOTH; Simonis 860 HR Tournament Blue (you definitley want the HR if its going into a pool hall).

2) BALLS; Any Aramith for playability and longevity. For playability, longevity and looks, either Centennials, or the new Aramith Tournament (all are made by Saluc of Belgium).

3) TRIANGLE; Doesn't matter to me, but if I was purchasing for a pool hall they would need to be wood with metal reinforcements at the corners to help prevent warping or twisting.

jmho..

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table- GCI w/ 860 Simonis set up by Ernesto and Oscar with 4 - 4 1/8 pockets

Balls- Centennials

Triangle- Delta - 13

Food- Kimchee

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been there. I live in Los Angeles and we have a lot of Korean Markets here. I'm addicted to Kimchee. The hotter the better. My good friend is Korean and she brings homemade stuff from her Aunt. Awesome.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
GC, or Diamond table with atleast 2 of em being 4" pockets, Simonis electric blue or tournament blue 760, Diamond lights, Super Aramith balls, Master chalk and any non-cheapo rack which isn't flimsy plastic that bows out when you press on the rack.

I generally play on a Diamond or GC with 4" pockets and Simonis 760. I of course wouldn't make all the tables that way simply because non-pool players wouldn't have fun on them.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Table: Gold Crown 4.25" - 4.5" pockets

Cloth: Simonis 860HR then 860. Must be green or T. blue.

Rack
: Delta (Full rack games) and Delta or Magic Rack for 9/10 Ball

Balls: Cents or Aramith Tournaments

Light: Fluorescent over incandescent.

Chalk: Blue Diamond

Bridge: Tiger Corona leather bridge head.

Since you are doing research for a possible pool hall, I sure wouldn't be disappointed if I walked in to a place and found a room full of Diamond tables either. But to me a great pool hall has good cloth, premium ball sets always clean and polished, good table lighting, enough room between tables and comfortable seating.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spinali racks are my favorite wood racks, I need to check on the spelling.

I dont know if he is still builing racks, the Delta-13 racks are great(the expensive ones, not the cast ones).

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Table: Gold Crown and Diamonds

Cloth: Simonis Tournament Blue

Rack: Delta

Balls: Cents or Aramith Tournaments

Light:flouresent

Notches in the seating tables and shelves for the cues.

Hot water, soap, and hand towels in the lavatory.

None of this matters if the equipment and building is not kept clean.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
mix of 7' & 9' Diamonds w/4" pockets .
7'ers make 9ball more interesting - cramped space creates more clusters/fences for safety play .
Aramith Super Pro
simonis 860 (not hr) (real pool tables are green)
quality wood racks (don't bow out like plastic)
master chalk
Diamond flourescents
if you're gonna have leagues or large tournaments , they need chairs & drink tables -not just three chairs per pooltable - so many rooms forget this feature .
soap & paper towels , & toilet paper in the restrooms would be greatly appreciated
house cues that are straight & have tips
COLD BEER & hot CHICKEN
pretty barmaids/waitresses

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great input everyone. Idealy I would have 20 table's(all 9 ft). 10 GC varying pocketsizes and the same for 10 pro am's all simonis (tourney blue) make a couple straight/one hole (760) and 860 hr (humid hear in the islands). Give everyone a chance to compare and contrast. Wondering if Diamonds rubber for the rail work might be the way to go unless Artemis' proves to be financial feasable. A Gabriel Carom and a snooker table. I also prefer wooden rack's that don't splinter, Hawaiian Brians has spinali's that are 20 yr's and in bad shape. I personally use a similar rack to the spinali with my aramith super pros. Would like the Delta 13 elite but never tried it and as of now can't justify the cost if I can get Diamond's club rack instead. Master's chalk of course. Getting any of the old stuff will only prove more difficult and costly with time, outside of personal use, and absolutly NO talc. As mentioned previously and I couldn't agree more, apropriate toilet facilties with good hand soap and hand towels. I think investing in the simonis x-1 would be prudent. For lighting unsure outside of Diamond lighting. By the way I gotta say Diamond has really set the bar for billiard equipement. I played the carom table at Shooter's in Olathe and loved there lighting system (unbeleavable and a must for that discipline). For house cues would apriciate some more input. Would love to have older srtaight Dufferins or talked with Diamond before about there house cues and I am curious to know if anyone has any input about them. Mahalo again to all for your time and much appreciated input, good shooting. Carl

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
Sounds like a great place. Good luck with it.

Any thought of putting in some 7 foot tables, or are those not popular in Oahu? I figure there have to be some casual players, people on dates, etc, who have never played on 9 footers and only on bar tables. Personally, I play league but have a big table at home. Sometimes I like practicing on 7 footers for league night, but prefer a pool hall to a loud smoky bar.

Just my two cents.