Need advise on paypal dispute

wild west

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold a cue on Ebay...buyer said cue need refinish. I offered to pay for refinish. He said that he sent the cue back and provided a false tracking #. I never heard from him again. And now he has filed a charge back through his credit card, claiming that cue arrived damaged. So now not only am i going to get screwed for the cue...but the $$$$.

I have saved all the emails where he gave me a fake tracking #. Any advise would be helpful...

-West

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
wild west said:
I sold a cue on Ebay...buyer said cue need refinish. I offered to pay for refinish. He said that he sent the cue back and provided a false tracking #. I never heard from him again. And now he has filed a charge back through his credit card, claiming that cue arrived damaged. So now not only am i going to get screwed for the cue...but the $$$$.

I have saved all the emails where he gave me a fake tracking #. Any advise would be helpful...

-West

I wouldn't worry too much if you have saved the emails, etc concerning this. If the tracking # was false and can proven that it was false, then that shows his intent is dishonest, not yours. Tell him "Good Luck" because you are getting a lawyer and suiing him in return. :D

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This entire discussion depends on the amount of $. If it is less than $200, you will lose money in order to collect. Depending on how valuable your time is, it may be a higher cut off than that. I have had the same issue, and on threat of lawsuit the other party paid up.

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wild west said:

-West

Sorry for your troubles . I too had a problem when I sold a cue and got paid through paypal. I was deligent in filing a claim and seeking restitution until I got my money back. Good thing I never shipped the cue either.

I suggest you file a cliam with paypal annd stick to it till you get your money back, The is probaly gone, But if you know where this guy lives then contact the police in his state. They can help in crimes like these. You must stick to your guns though because it won1t be a quick fix. wish you the best.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
What is the amount of the dispute? If it is over $250 you must have signature confirmation for your delivery to him or you are a dead-nuts lock to lose with PayPal. If it is under 250, delivery confirmation will do, you can have all the documents you want, but if you don't have physical proof of delivery that PayPal can access and verify online you are an automatic loser in a chargeback dispute.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Kevin

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
wild west said:

-West

PayPal will not refund if you can prove that he did not send the cue back. You should be able to verify a false tracking# thru the shipper.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Bigjohn said:
PayPal will not refund if you can prove that he did not send the cue back. You should be able to verify a false tracking# thru the shipper.

If the buyer has filed the dispute through his credit card company it will be a chargeback through PayPal and there's no "up front" question of the details, PayPal has already refunded the money back to the buyer's credit card, and has taken the $$$ out of the sellers account or locked his account if there weren't enough funds to cover the dispute.

PayPal can't exist without MC/Visa/AmEx, thus PayPal will NEVER take a position against a credit card company. How PayPal even learns that there has been a dispute filed is that the money has been taken back from PayPal by the credit card company. That is the extent of "negotiations" or "notice". PayPal now goes back against the seller to restore their funds (which again, are 100% gone as soon as the dispute hits PayPal from the credit card co) and all this happens before there is any "talk".

These threads are often about "what should happen" rather than "what will happen". I've found that in these matters it is best to deal with what is rather than what should be.

As a seller in a PayPal transaction one must always ship to a confirmed PayPal address (in the US) and have positive proof of delivery or you are a loser in any dispute. If you have done what I suggest, then you are eligible for PayPal's chargeback insurance. If you are eligible for the insurance, PayPal knows you have satisfied these requirements and they could actually be out the funds, they will treat the seller's side of the transaction seriously. Otherwise, the buyer got his $$ back from his credit card co, the credit card co got the $$ back from PayPal, PayPal got the $$ back from the seller and the seller is out. Done deal.

Kevin

Last edited:

Flttracker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paypal Sucks !

I also sold a cue on eBay, I did everything right received the money to my acount took the money out shipped the cue........ All good right ?.......Wrong I gt a e-mail 2 weeks later stating payment reversal pending. Said the guy paid with fraudlent(SP?) funds. So with my acount at $0 the took the $300 out to leave me with -$300 so now I will have to put $300 in to get back to $0 pretty much sucks ! So for all you people that think paypal in so great think again :) From what they told me is that it was sent to a nonconfirmed address. And to think I used paypal to be safe ! LOL In closing..PayPal Sucks !!

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Flttracker said:
I also sold a cue on eBay, I did everything right received the money to my acount took the money out shipped the cue........ All good right ?.......Wrong I gt a e-mail 2 weeks later stating payment reversal pending. Said the guy paid with fraudlent(SP?) funds. So with my acount at $0 the took the $300 out to leave me with -$300 so now I will have to put $300 in to get back to $0 pretty much sucks ! So for all you people that think paypal in so great think again :) From what they told me is that it was sent to a nonconfirmed address. And to think I used paypal to be safe ! LOL In closing..PayPal Sucks !!

Not to argue, but if you shipped to an unconfirmed address then you didn't "do everything right".

Kevin

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
wild west said:

-West

did you pay through a CREDIT CARD? Go to your Credit Card company and FILE A DISPUTE.
drinkbeer.gif

wild west

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold the cue...he got the cue. He said that the cue arrived damaged; i said "no problem"...i had insured the for 1800. i went and spoke to my local UPS claims person and said that they would be happy to pay for a refinish. They sent out a claims rep in his hometown and refused to provide any information. He spoke of a full refund and i agreed upon getting the cue back. He provided the original tracking # of hime receiving the cue. Not a # sending the cue back to me. I did not hear from him since 11/14...and now one month later he decides to file a chargeback through his Credit Card. Again, i asked for the cue and a Tracking #. He has yet to provide one.

blusystems

Banned
wild west said:
I sold the cue...he got the cue. He said that the cue arrived damaged; i said "no problem"...i had insured the for 1800. i went and spoke to my local UPS claims person and said that they would be happy to pay for a refinish. They sent out a claims rep in his hometown and refused to provide any information. He spoke of a full refund and i agreed upon getting the cue back. He provided the original tracking # of hime receiving the cue. Not a # sending the cue back to me. I did not hear from him since 11/14...and now one month later he decides to file a chargeback through his Credit Card. Again, i asked for the cue and a Tracking #. He has yet to provide one.

U.P.S needs to be contacted, when they inspect damaged article, the protocol is to bring damaged goods back to home office.
Allowing U.P.S. to handle a packaged custom cue is like throwing a barbie doll into a gorrilla cage.
Fed-Ex or USPS, I would never send U.P.S., NEVER!

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
kvinbrwr said:
If the buyer has filed the dispute through his credit card company it will be a chargeback through PayPal and there's no "up front" question of the details, PayPal has already refunded the money back to the buyer's credit card, and has taken the $$$ out of the sellers account or locked his account if there weren't enough funds to cover the dispute.

PayPal can't exist without MC/Visa/AmEx, thus PayPal will NEVER take a position against a credit card company. How PayPal even learns that there has been a dispute filed is that the money has been taken back from PayPal by the credit card company. That is the extent of "negotiations" or "notice". PayPal now goes back against the seller to restore their funds (which again, are 100% gone as soon as the dispute hits PayPal from the credit card co) and all this happens before there is any "talk".

These threads are often about "what should happen" rather than "what will happen". I've found that in these matters it is best to deal with what is rather than what should be.

As a seller in a PayPal transaction one must always ship to a confirmed PayPal address (in the US) and have positive proof of delivery or you are a loser in any dispute. If you have done what I suggest, then you are eligible for PayPal's chargeback insurance. If you are eligible for the insurance, PayPal knows you have satisfied these requirements and they could actually be out the funds, they will treat the seller's side of the transaction seriously. Otherwise, the buyer got his $$ back from his credit card co, the credit card co got the $$ back from PayPal, PayPal got the $$ back from the seller and the seller is out. Done deal.

Kevin

I have had a few ebay transactions and this has not been my experience with PayPal. However, I am not surprised to hear crap like this from them.