Poor Bustamante

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel kinda bad for the guy. So many times he has been soooo close to snapping off a big one, but he always falls short. Whether its the US Open, the WPC, and now this. He is the only upper-upper-upper echelon player that hasn't won a prestigious event. The way he was playing, especially going so far undefeated in this tournament, I was hoping he would go all the way. Is he cursed or something? What is holding him back? Does he dog it in the finals or semifinals? Right now he is playing so well, I hope he wins either the US Open or the WPC. From now on I'll be rooting for him in every tournament, he deserves a big one.

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will echo those sentiments, well said.

Fransisco is a thoroughly nice person to talk to, always willing to talk and people have a lot of time for him as a result. The man oozes class.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Francisco

cuetechasaurus said:
I feel kinda bad for the guy. So many times he has been soooo close to snapping off a big one, but he always falls short. Whether its the US Open, the WPC, and now this. He is the only upper-upper-upper echelon player that hasn't won a prestigious event. The way he was playing, especially going so far undefeated in this tournament, I was hoping he would go all the way. Is he cursed or something? What is holding him back? Does he dog it in the finals or semifinals? Right now he is playing so well, I hope he wins either the US Open or the WPC. From now on I'll be rooting for him in every tournament, he deserves a big one.

I agree, especially the way he plowed through everyone until the semi-finals...he looked invincible, having broken the record for consecutive victories at the IPT....Maybe he just got tired or lost focus after winning (18?) matches in a row....just goes to show he's human....anyway, I can't feel too sorry for him, after a $40,000 payday......... and he's well established as a world class champion anyway.....I'm sure he will continue to finish high in future tournaments, as he always does.....

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:

40K oxymoron :)

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
I think there's some kind of mental block. Bustamante looks to have a very solid mental game, but when it comes to the final moments of each tournament, there's always that final hiccup. I noticed it first when he was playing Pagulayan this year's US Open.

Maybe one day he'll overcome that mental block, but it's not just luck or the opposition. It's mental. I'd like to see him take one, too.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
He's won the World Pool Masters twice and the World Pool League Championship at least once. Although these are invitational events, it is certainly an accomplishment to win against the field of players that are invited.

It is rather strange that he seems to always do well in majors but then drop off near the end. I think you guys are right that it is probably a mental thing. It just reminds me of the description of Jersey Red in Hustler Days, where Red would always doubt himself at the wrong moments. Whether this is the case with Francisco or not I don't know.

Nevertheless there are definite similarities between Red and Bustamante. Red never seemed to able to get that major win yet he was definitely good enough, and he came second enough times.