Anyone have the 411 on Fresno CA.

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
Going there next monday for work for 1-2 weeks. Staying at the piccadilly inn or something. Any pool options in that area. Thanks in advance

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I was in the Fresno area for a couple of months in 2008 and there were three main pool rooms that I found, The Rack and Diamond that are about three miles apart from one another on Blackstone. The other was Classic Billiards in Clovis which was about 10-15 minutes down the road off interstate 168.

Of the three, Classics had 8-10 Brunswicks, Diamonds had one Diamond and 8? and The Rack had 8 Brunswicks and a carom table, or maybe they were knock offs? Regardless, it seemed all the players rotated between the three of them and it just mattered what night of the week it was.

Classic had the best deal, I think for like $40 I received a month pass for free pool anytime.

I would suggest attending the event below and you will run into all the locals.

OH, I do believe that they all had aircon, which is a must during this time of the year...

Have Fun.

SUNDAY..........JUNE 3RD.......... 10:00 am
DIAMOND BILLIARDS, 6460 N. BLACKSTONE, FRESNO, CA (559-435-1130)
(Corner of Blackstone & Sierra Aves)

"DIAMOND DAN REMEMBRANCE TOURNAMENT"

OPEN DOUBLE ELIMINATION 9-BALL TOURNAMENT
TEXAS EXPRESS RACE TO 5 (Winners Side) & RACE TO 3 (Losers Bracket)
*********ENTRY FEE.....$50 (All fees go into PRIZE FUND)**********
******NOTE: Additional $500 Will be be added to PRIZE FUND******

SIGN-UP - 9:00 am with FREE play 'til tournament starts (10:00 am)

RESTAURANT OPEN ( PLEASE NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED)

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
I was in the Fresno area for a couple of months in 2008 and there were three main pool rooms that I found, The Rack and Diamond that are about three miles apart from one another on Blackstone. The other was Classic Billiards in Clovis which was about 10-15 minutes down the road off interstate 168.

Of the three, Classics had 8-10 Brunswicks, Diamonds had one Diamond and 8? and The Rack had 8 Brunswicks and a carom table, or maybe they were knock offs? Regardless, it seemed all the players rotated between the three of them and it just mattered what night of the week it was.

Classic had the best deal, I think for like $40 I received a month pass for free pool anytime.

OH, I do believe that they all had aircon, which is a must during this time of the year...

Have Fun.

WOW. Great info. Thanks alot

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Going there next monday for work for 1-2 weeks. Staying at the piccadilly inn or something. Any pool options in that area. Thanks in advance

U are welcome to stop by and also see my shop and some of my work. I am about 90 minutes away. I will have some Portuguese beer waiting if you want :)

Also have have a pool table at home and in-ground pool :thumbup:

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
U are welcome to stop by and also see my shop and some of my work. I am about 90 minutes away. I will have some Portuguese beer waiting if you want :)

Also have have a pool table at home and in-ground pool :thumbup:
Sounds good. I'd love to see your work. I am a sucker for cues (even though I am down to 1). I am here doing some delivery work so in a given day I could be in L.A. or Blythe or points between. And what a coincidence, I like pool, pools, and beer. Although have never tried the portuguese variety. Will be in touch. Thanks
keep us posted on your action in Fresno.
I'm an out of stroke working stiff now (Or at least some temp work) and left the SW at home so no action for me. ATM I need the 8 from you sir. :cool:

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bavafongoul Here...Did Someone Call My Name?????

Okay....Here's the 411.....

Diamond Billiards (6460 N. Blackstone Ave) 559-435-1130...Tournament on Sun. nites @ 7:30 PM......great tables.......play on the Diamond Table up front....See Jim (Mgr), or Josh (Ass't Mgr) or Sam, Keith, or Travis.....tell them Matt said they'd take great care of you......be careful....some sleepers there.....Tread cautiously.

The Break Room ( 411 W. Swift Ave) 559-276-9000.....New Owner (Mike Tucci)......see Mike (Owner), Phil C. (Mgr) or Stella....same thing....tell 'em I sent you in there for a great time.......maybe try to book some table time with Mike on his private table up front......It's invitation play only.......and indeed, Mike is one of the young studs......shoots a steady stick and has one of the best strokes I've seen.... Tournaments on Thurs nite 7-7:30 PM. Sometimes on Sat afternoons depending....typically around 2 PM.

The Rack (4678 N. Blackstone Ave) 559-222-1222 See Daniel Campos......Owner/Mgr....Daniel is also a very strong stick....and his pals there are even a wee bit better......proceed with caution.....Tournaments every Tues nite....7:30PM.

Classic Billiards (711 W. Shaw, Clovis, CA) 559-297-4246 Tournaments Mon. nite 7:30 PM and the 1st sat of every month (bigger crowd).

Babylon Biiliards (1064 N. Fulton) 559-495-0852.......down in the Tower district.....haven't played there in a few years....used to have lots of different beers on tap and decent tables......don't know it as a players hangout or roadies. maybe you should just skip it.......the better players hang out the Big 3 in Fresno.

Now you can go to any of these joints and just get in some recreational time with one of the local players. Everything doesn't have to have action attached but if you just want to make it interesting, that's not an issue.You can always find something light or grab some major action.........plenty of that too. If you're interested in some really outstanding one pocket competition....we have some real best in CA, there seems to be more one pocket action played at Diamonds and the Rack than at The Break Room. Nonetheless, if you want some heavier action, it's easily available. The Break Room used to be Diamonds South owned by Dan Dadian who just passed away. Mike Tucci bought the pool room from Dan in Spring 2011 and has done some great things with the room. Mike is also one of the best sticks in the state and should never be taken for granted......in order words, don't go pettin a rattle snake unless you don't mind being bitten.

SUMMARY

That pretty much is my run down on where to go.......the best spots are:

The Break Room.....brand new Simonis cloth on all the tables (16 -9' tables and 7- 7' tables). See Mike Or Phil C.

Diamond Billiards......excellent tables.....Simonis cloth well maintained daily....... (19 -9' tables & 2-7' tables) Diamond Dan Remembrance tournament is there this weekend.....send me a PM if you want more details. See Jim (Mgr) or Josh (Ass't Mgr) or Sam, Keith, or Travis.

The Rack.......14- 9' tables and 1- 10' table that gets exchanged back and forth (billiard table or snooker table)......Oh yeah, proceed with caution...strong players there too. See Daniel Campos.

Classic Billiards......is in the City of Clovis, not Fresno. Here's how that works.....Clovis is on the east side of town and Shaw Ave is the main street that runs right through town from Hignway 99 which is located in Fresno which is the west side of town. So as you travel on Shaw Ave eastbound direction from Hwy 99........you first travel thru Fresno and miles down the road on Shaw Ave....Voila!....It becomes Clovis on the very same road......See Brandon Lawlor.

CONCLUSION

Well folks.....that's my short column on pool in the center of the Central Valley....and by the way, that guy named Dan Dadian was instrumental in promoting amateur pool play and helping maintain local interest in competitive play through the several pool halls he owned and operated. I hope you enjoy and get to use some of this information.

Oh yeah, this weekend in Fresno the local APA is holding its City Wide Qualifier for Las Vegas....that means the pool halls at the Break Room & Classic will be jammed Fri nite thru Sunday evening..........the APA play is all on 7' tables but when you have that many teams, even the 9' tables get grabbed fro practice by these teams......parking lots at both places will be jammed.

If you need to ever refer to me, just mention "The guy with the Custom Mottey & Scruggs Cues with ivory joints."....Pretty much most of the better sticks in town Fresno know my cues.....two absolutely spectacular cues.......and there's also my one of a kind, custom ordered Schon Runde....I'm probably the reason Bob Runde stopped taking customer designed cue orders while he was at Schon. At Runde cues, all of Bob's cues are his design, one of a kinds. I was a real jerk back in the early 80's when he made my cue....he has to be one of the most generous, kind hearted persons imaginable.....you might have read one of my prior posts about my Runde Schon.

Anyway, I hope to bump into you, or any other Azers sometime, perhaps at the Diamond Dan Tournament. I can always give you my skinny on any of the competitors if you're curious. Due to the potential for likely interference (overfow) with the APA tournament this weekend, there'll also be another Diamond Dan Tournament this upcoming November..............Stay tuned for more details folks.......I mean can you believe that Dan decided to just up and pass away after the local APA chapter had already made its schedule for 2012....How rude and inconsiderate of Dan to do that....that ole SOB.......it's kinda just like him 'cuz he really wasn't fond of playing on 7' tables anyway.....he would sometimes refer to it as being akin to playing in the sandbox.

Anywho.....contact me if you ever have any questions......where you'll be staying is really close to Diamonds, The Rack and The Break Room.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Passes In Fresno

Diamonds, The Break Room and Classic Billiards offer monthly memberships that cost approximately $30/month. You are untitled to unlimited pool every day including weekends and holidays up until like 7 PM. I'm not sure about the Rack having that.......Women play free on different nites at Diamonds and The Break Room (which has a Sun. nite beer special extravaganza). Diamonds also has $5 Wednesdays where for $5 you can play from noon to 2 AM all day.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have Fun.

memberships at diamond billiards are only $30.

diamond billiards has 20 tables total. 17 rebcos, 1 diamond table, and 2 dynamo bar boxes.

out of the 4 pool halls diamond has the best equipment. the other two have pretty worn in equipment. classic billiards just recovered their tables though. but to be honest almost everyone that plays at classic is either a kid or they look like they should be on jerry springer. there's more action at classic though so keep that in mind.

the rack is a cool place. i don't hang out there but i like the set up. i forget which day it is but they have a $5 and you can play all day deal one day a week. the owner's son runs the place and plays pretty sporty. saw him beat mike massey in a tournament once

The break room is a pretty nice room. the guys that work there are good people and the regulars are DTE too. it's real close to the rack and diamond so you can check out all 3 in the same day if you want. shoot me a pm and i'll give you my number. we can hit some balls if you stop by diamond. i'm there most nights.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Diamond Billiards (6460 N. Blackstone Ave)

Diamond Billiards see diamond jim he is one of the best in running a pool room .
MMike

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Break Room

Apparently not everyone is up to date or in the know.......that's not a knock on anyone.....here's the actual status.

The Break Room covered all of their tables after Mike Tucci bought the room from Dan Dadian in the Spring of 2011......Every table was done in Simonis Cloth...gorgeous.....work was done by Ken Mendoza.

This was Mike's first turn at owning and operating a poool room but he's a natural at it and really loves the game too. But in Mike 1st year of operation, the tables got beat up and so rather than stretch out a dollar and leave things status quo, Mike is intent on being recognized as the premier pool room in Fresno. So what does Mike do? Approximately a month ago, he has Rick at Mecca Billiards (Fresno) come in and recover every 9' table all over again in Simonis cloth . And trust me, after having paid to have this done twice in 15 months, Mike is making sure all of the tables at the Break room remain in immaculate condition.

Historically, Diamond Billiards has always had the best tables in town....you wouldn't have expected anything less since it was Dan Dadian's main pool room......Dan was an exceptional individual, especially when it came to his pool rooms. Nothing but the best was Dan's mantra. Now keep in mind that Phil Costello used to manage both Diamond Billiards North and Diamond Billiards South for Dan Dadian. When Dan sold his pool room in Reno, NV, Jim transferred back to Fresno and became manager at Diamonds North and Phil handled Diamond South for Dan. When Dan's health worsened, he sold Diamonds South to Mike Tucci (March 2011) who changed the name to The Break Room.

Dan's former right hand man, Phil stayed on with Mike and Phil now manages The Break Room. Phil grew up in the pool room under Dan Dadian and so he understands the business better than most and is now Mike's right hand man....and Phil also shoots a stick that should not be taken lightly either.

Every single day, the tables at Diamond Billiards are always cleaned and brushed.... And Mike now has the same vigilant table maintenance routine at The Break Room.........THE TWO BEST ROOMS IN FRESNO........AND THE VERY BEST TABLES TOO.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Masta Cruz

Registered
Fresno consists of all rebco tables. Plus one diamond table at diamond Billiards on blackstone and Sierra.

Tournament schedule is as follows:

Monday - Classic Billiards in Clovis has handicapped 9 ball race to 5/3 double elimination 7$ entry 7pm.
Tuesday - Rack Billiards has a call pocket open 10 ball 10$ entry fee race to 5/1 double elimination. 7pm
Wednesday - Classic Billiards has a handicapped 9 ball 12$ entry single elimination race to six. 7pm
Thursday - The Break room has a open 9 ball race to 5/3 double elimination 10$ entry at 7pm.
Nothing on Friday or Saturday
but this Sunday at 10am is the Dan Dadian memorial tournament 50$ entry race to 5/3 open 9 ball 500$ added. At diamond Billiards.
Normally Sunday nights are an open 9 ball race to 5/3 10$ entry at diamond at 7pm except this Sunday is the big one.

Action wise this town is a small action town mostly. 10$ or 20$ 9 ball sets are most common along with 5$ or 10$ a game one pocket. Most players show up in the daytime at diamond Billiards.

It's always a treat to see new players come to our town. Ramon mistica came by a few weeks ago along with Jun Almoite. Little john macias came into town too about two months ago and cleaned out my own pockets playing one pocket.

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the scoop. Now just need to find the time to go. working 12-14 hours a day leaves little time and 0 energy for much else....even torturing the rails. But I will make it to Break room or Diamonds sometime next week before I leave. Next stop is Denver so I may be creating a new post shortly. Looks like that trip will allow some more free time thank god. Hope ya'll have a great week.