Japan Open

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, you played last year didn't you.

Browser can't translate for me so hard to read the page.

Anyway, good luck and hope you do well.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
Ah too bad.. :( I usually spend 6 months a year in Tokyo to be with my girlfriend but right now im in Spain.. craap .. I wish i was there

Btw does anyone know a good and cheap pool hall in tokyo? I like bagus but its too damn expensive..

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Ah too bad.. :( I usually spend 6 months a year in Tokyo to be with my girlfriend but right now im in Spain.. craap .. I wish i was there

Btw does anyone know a good and cheap pool hall in tokyo? I like bagus but its too damn expensive..

Stella and Risk are pretty good pool halls, I don't know about cheap, but probably cheaper than Bagus.

If I remember correctly, you played last year didn't you.

Browser can't translate for me so hard to read the page.

Anyway, good luck and hope you do well.

Thanks.

Yea, I lost to Ko Pin Yi in the single elimination bracket. Never had a chance.

Just scroll down a bit and click on the pdf links to open the brackets. Your computer should be able to display it.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Heres the stream for the final day.

link

ベスト16:

津堅翔(Spider) vs 川本比呂志(Bagus)
銘苅朝樹(Predator) vs R・ガレゴ(Predator)
大井直幸(Flannel) vs J・メゾン
川端聡(Adam) vs 岡正武

藤本共史(K.Andy) vs L・V・コルテッザ
R・エスキリオ vs W・キアムコ
羅立文(K.Andy) vs カルロ・ビアド
喜島安広球聖 vs A・リニング

Best 16

Tsuken vs Kawamoto
Mekari vs Gallego
Ooi vs Mezon
Kawabata vs Oka

Fujimoto vs Corteza
Esquilio vs Kiamco
Lo (Li Wen) vs Biado
Kijima vs Lining.

Last edited:

RackOnTour

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough field

It must be hard to draw a talent like Ko Pin Yi and still keep focused. I am sure you will be back next year to try again.

Most of the other AZ crowd would be shocked at the professional attitude of all the players there. The room is full of mutual respect, talent and love for the game.

Thanks again for the info on Tokyo rooms last year and also for the link to this year's matches.

We are tossing up on whether our son will have his first school year in Japan in 2013. If so I will definitely be there!

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe that Oi Kun still plays out of Flannel. I figured by now for sure he'd be in a bigger room.

dave

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
It must be hard to draw a talent like Ko Pin Yi and still keep focused. I am sure you will be back next year to try again.

Most of the other AZ crowd would be shocked at the professional attitude of all the players there. The room is full of mutual respect, talent and love for the game.

Thanks again for the info on Tokyo rooms last year and also for the link to this year's matches.

We are tossing up on whether our son will have his first school year in Japan in 2013. If so I will definitely be there!

Cool, no problem. It definitely is a good experience playing in Japan. They have a much more structured system for amateurs and pros here.

This year I beat 2 Japanese pros and 2 amateurs, but lost to Lining in the round of 64. Maybe next year I can get an easier draw. Lol

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I can't believe that Oi Kun still plays out of Flannel. I figured by now for sure he'd be in a bigger room.

dave

I gotta say, it is REALLY cool that the players are all linked to a room like that and that the tournament advertising this fact in the draw like that. Something like that in the USA could really help some higher end pool halls.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta say, it is REALLY cool that the players are all linked to a room like that and that the tournament advertising this fact in the draw like that. Something like that in the USA could really help some higher end pool halls.

One of the great things about the scene over there is that most all players work as a house pro (salary) or as a rep (expenses) for a room somewhere. One of the other cool things about Japan is that because there are so many rooms and in the Tokyo area they all stagger their weekly tournies to avoid convlict with eachother, whenever you sign in for a tournament, they always ask you for your home room. If they get several players from the same home room, they work the draw so that you're not cutting heads with eachother til the later rounds. And, because you can play a tournament almost every night of the week in the Tokyo area, you'll generally run into the same players every night. It's like a mini tour. Hijikata, Oi, and Dasuke Hanawa..................................used to run into these kids every night. I remember when Hijikata was an 11 year old trying to learn how to bridge a cue. One of my young students was always coming in 2nd to Hijikata in the all Japan Jr. events and they ended up being really good friends. "Hi" kun used to come to my room and hang out with us. I literally watched this kid go from learning to bridge to turning pro at the age of 16 and ranking in the top 5 on the tour in his rookie year in a span of about 5 years.
dave

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
One of the great things about the scene over there is that most all players work as a house pro (salary) or as a rep (expenses) for a room somewhere. One of the other cool things about Japan is that because there are so many rooms and in the Tokyo area they all stagger their weekly tournies to avoid convlict with eachother, whenever you sign in for a tournament, they always ask you for your home room. If they get several players from the same home room, they work the draw so that you're not cutting heads with eachother til the later rounds. And, because you can play a tournament almost every night of the week in the Tokyo area, you'll generally run into the same players every night. It's like a mini tour.

That sounds absolutely awesome. If the pool scene in America did stuff like that and made people feel a part of a pool scene like that the sport would be WAY bigger then it is today. It is all in the presentation and making the general public want to play because they become a part of something cool and Japan seems to be doing that very well while North America including both the USA and Canada does not.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, the All Japan actually is not an open. If you aren't a pro, you have to go through a qualifier to play, i think.

U have to go through a qualifier to play in the US Open Golf also if not ranked pro. It is still Open for any golfer in the world to enter a q'r and get into the main event. Id bet tennis works the same way. Having every bum in the world enter the main event -well that isnt really a plus as far as im concerned

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
U have to go through a qualifier to play in the US Open Golf also if not ranked pro. It is still Open for any golfer in the world to enter a q'r and get into the main event. Id bet tennis works the same way. Having every bum in the world enter the main event -well that isnt really a plus as far as im concerned

Yea, but in pool, open generally means open, except in the case of female tournaments. Also, it's the All Japan Championship, not the All Japan Open, I believe.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
That sounds absolutely awesome. If the pool scene in America did stuff like that and made people feel a part of a pool scene like that the sport would be WAY bigger then it is today. It is all in the presentation and making the general public want to play because they become a part of something cool and Japan seems to be doing that very well while North America including both the USA and Canada does not.

Yea, Japan has created a die hard scene with some well thought out details like you mentioned. Pool halls in Japan tend to create a welcoming environment for new players. It helps that the player rooms tend to be small and personal and the big game center rooms point people who want to learn the game to the serious rooms.