Johan ruijsink usa captain 2017

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He was talking about someone whom I knew well, but had not connected with in several years—Johan Ruijsink, the non-playing captain and coach of Europe’s Mosconi Cup team. What is there about a man who can bring together players from four different countries, with four different languages to form a cohesive battle unit that laid waste to the best of American players?

... but in his two years as coach, Marcus Chamat has been even more successful than Johann, winning by a combined score of 22-10. Niels of Netherlands/Denmark, Darren and Mark from England, Jayson from Scotland, and Albin from Austria, also represented four different countries.

Coaching a team that has far superior talent is a challenge but a far less challenge than coaching a heavy underdog, which Team USA is year after year. To be fair, Marcus has not had teams as strong as some of Johann's. For example, the 2013 Team Europe had four World 9-ball champions on it and its fifth member had collected a bronze in the World 9-ball championships.

Ralf Souquet was coached by Johann but never by Marcus.

The evidence suggests that anyone who coaches Team Europe will look like a genius right now. It's chiefly about the players.

BilliardBidz

Auction House Director
No matter how many Pros. This Con,, tops them all.

The American community would like to take a knee and gracefully thank the European community. We want to thank you for loaning one of your fine European champions to assist us in our cause. We know now that without the help of the European community, we would not stand a chance of ever winning the Mosconi Cup ever again. It is through the kindness of the European community that will push us forward.

So when the day comes that the American Mosconi Cup team can once again hold the cup high above their heads. We will know that we could not have done it without the help of Europe.

BilliardBidz

Auction House Director
And if the USA wins 2017. The only thing that will be said is that " The only reason for the win... is due to the leadership of Matchroom and the Support of a European champion as a Captain.... USA could not do it by themselves"

Is this what we want?

Quit crying and join the real world. Where someone was born makes no difference to anything. Although i stayed silent, i was flabbergasted at some of the sales pitches that were being made on here.

Johan's pedigree is behind doubt. Now the only question is, will he do the right thing and ditch SVB?

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This Here!

The Value of a Coach. ~ Bert Kinister

When my friend Ralf Souquet says, “Best coach ever,” I sit up and take notice.

He was talking about someone whom I knew well, but had not connected with in several years—Johan Ruijsink, the non-playing captain and coach of Europe’s Mosconi Cup team. What is there about a man who can bring together players from four different countries, with four different languages to form a cohesive battle unit that laid waste to the best of American players?

I first met Johan in 2002 in Cardiff, Wales at the World Tournament. We were introduced by Niels Feijen, a student I had been working with since he was a teenager and Mosconi Cup MVP. We struck up an immediate friendship and I agreed to return to The Netherlands with him to teach in his poolroom. I was with the great Arubian champion Ditto Acosta. The three of us set out from Cardiff to Northern England in Johan’s old Volvo.

Not always driving on the correct side of the street, our very merry band made it to an old hotel in the north of England where we spent the night in very cramped uncomfortable conditions made worse by Ditto’s, AKA: El Snorizo, unbelievable snoring. Johan and I never got any sleep, none. In the morning we drove onto the giant catamaran that would ferry us and our car—along with 500 others—to The Netherlands later that day. With over one million horsepower the trip did not even take three hours, clearing Customs was another story.

Finally on the road to Johan’s home, night club and pool room in The Hague, we coasted in under cover of darkness with no brakes, no gas, no sleep and there they were waiting—I do not know for how long—eight to 12 young men acting like a drill team, waiting to learn pool.

I worked with them as long as I could before I had to sleep. In the morning I woke to Johan’s beautiful wife’s face getting me up for breakfast.

That is when I began to understand how great coaches create themselves.

While Johan was out getting an assortment of cheeses for breakfast, his wife, an Olympic swimmer, related that Johan was ex-Dutch Special Forces, an expert in discipline and teamwork. This explained all of the eager teenagers waiting for us in the middle of the night, and Johan’s tireless work ethic.

Johan must have been born with the joy that he brought to the game.

After spending several days teaching with Johan and his friends, I went on to fulfill teaching engagements all over Europe. Johan went on to work tirelessly, and for very little financial reward, bringing his discipline, work ethic and, did I mention, joy to his students from the youngest players in the Netherlands and Europe to the Champions of today.

For Johan it has been a 12 year road to success, so when Ralf Souquet says, “Johan Ruijsink is the best coach in the world,” I believe him.

http://www.sneakypetemafia.com/the-value-of-a-coach-bert-kinister/

I'm all for great coaching and I think any professional player that works with Johan will emerge better than ever. This has a lot of upside for our players.
If a great American instructor, bert kinister, believes Johan is the best coach in the world, then he's perfect for American pool at this time.

Thank you for this post!

Both Johan and his wife Christel, are salt of the earth people, both personally and professionally, their character and standards are beyond reproach.

I would stand with whoever is picked for Captain for Team USA,
but that it has been placed in Johan's hands, European or not, is a good thing/

For the players, this is a good thing.
They will glean something new perhaps.
And from a marketing perspective, it's a ratings bonanza!

Y'all can lose your minds if you want to, but right now, we should all be happy American players are being invested in in both knowledge and time and
be humble and gracious for the opportunity given to us.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... but in his two years as coach, Marcus Chamat has been even more successful than Johann, winning by a combined score of 22-10. Niels of Netherlands/Denmark, Darren and Mark from England, Jayson from Scotland, and Albin from Austria, also represented four different countries.

Coaching a team that has far superior talent is a challenge but a far less challenge than coaching a heavy underdog, which Team USA is year after year. To be fair, Marcus has not had teams as strong as some of Johann's. For example, the 2013 Team Europe had four World 9-ball champions on it and its fifth member had collected a bronze in the World 9-ball championships.

Ralf Souquet was coached by Johann but never by Marcus.

The evidence suggests that anyone who coaches Team Europe will look like a genius right now. It's chiefly about the players.

I believe it's the environment that Johan creates. In the Kinister article he mentions Johan being former special forces and the young pool students "acting like a drill team, wanting to learn pool."

Johan is not intimidated by superior pool players and will create the environment needed for them to excel.

I remember reading how those early Johan teams were like brothers, and kept a strict schedule of drills, practice, sleep, and they produced results. It's that same environment that Marcus has taken and run with - And yes, their superior play helps.

This is a great opportunity to learn and flourish. I hope our US players embrace it like the European players did (like you said, Stu, many of them world champions at the time yet still open to critique). Possibly this will pay dividends into the American player's individual careers outside of the Mosconi Cup - And that is what I'm anticipating.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for this post!

Both Johan and his wife Christel, are salt of the earth people, both personally and professionally, their character and standards are beyond reproach.

I would stand with whoever is picked for Captain for Team USA,
but that it has been placed in Johan's hands, European or not, is a good thing/

For the players, this is a good thing.
They will glean something new perhaps.
And from a marketing perspective, it's a ratings bonanza!

Y'all can lose your minds if you want to, but right now, we should all be happy American players are being invested in in both knowledge and time and
be humble and gracious for the opportunity given to us.

:clapping:

Well stated. I Agree wholeheartedly.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's All Be Honest,,,,,,The U.S.A Could Bring In Michael Jordan To ''Coach'' & It Wouldn't Mean One Damn Thing,,,,!!!
And Yes,,,,,''M.J'' Plays & Loves The Game Of Pool,,,,,!!!!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Somewhat related, ut I think that team based pool is an exciting format and it need not remain nationality based.

BFrench501

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a European I'm not entirely sure what to make of the appointment.

I think it is great for the USA however I think that the USA have some deep rooted problems that will be tough to resolve.

For one, how can players like SVB and Mike Dechaine play matches where there has been bitterness on show, then suddenly become pals like Team Europe seem to?

The USA also do not appear to have the Fundamentals down as well as the Europeans which means that they can not execute as well under pressure. Only the players can resolve that themselves. Note - I think Justin and Skylar have very good fundamentals. SVB is obviously world class but he is susceptible to misses as his elbow is never in a straight line. Watch him behind a shot and his elbow is not in a straight line.

Players from the USA seem to spend more time working out how to manipulate racks, and breaking from 1 on the spot. They are not playing the same game as the Europeans. Europe seem to be able to control the 2 at the back almost as easily as they can control the wing ball and the 1.

Europe also have better competition. No disrespect intended to the USA at all, but there is a Eurotour where all of the strongest players meet several times a year. There are also club tournaments where the standard is phenomenal from top to bottom.

The USA doesn't have the strength in depth, and there simply aren't enough players to push the top Americans. If they were to reside in Europe, I think that they could easily be on a par. Talent isn't the issue, but I just feel that the USA's top players suffer from Minor League syndrome.

I may be completely wrong and it is just an opinion from the outside looking in.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a European I'm not entirely sure what to make of the appointment.

I think it is great for the USA however I think that the USA have some deep rooted problems that will be tough to resolve.

For one, how can players like SVB and Mike Dechaine play matches where there has been bitterness on show, then suddenly become pals like Team Europe seem to?

The USA also do not appear to have the Fundamentals down as well as the Europeans which means that they can not execute as well under pressure. Only the players can resolve that themselves. Note - I think Justin and Skylar have very good fundamentals. SVB is obviously world class but he is susceptible to misses as his elbow is never in a straight line. Watch him behind a shot and his elbow is not in a straight line.

Players from the USA seem to spend more time working out how to manipulate racks, and breaking from 1 on the spot. They are not playing the same game as the Europeans. Europe seem to be able to control the 2 at the back almost as easily as they can control the wing ball and the 1.

Europe also have better competition. No disrespect intended to the USA at all, but there is a Eurotour where all of the strongest players meet several times a year. There are also club tournaments where the standard is phenomenal from top to bottom.

The USA doesn't have the strength in depth, and there simply aren't enough players to push the top Americans. If they were to reside in Europe, I think that they could easily be on a par. Talent isn't the issue, but I just feel that the USA's top players suffer from Minor League syndrome.

I may be completely wrong and it is just an opinion from the outside looking in.

Though I don't agree with every point you made, this is a generally well-reasoned post. Nicely said.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johan..................

Not that I'm a huge soccer fan but don't various WorldCup teams have manager/coaches from outside the team's country? If this coach can get the U.S. team a "w" who cares where he's from. His record speaks for itself as does our's ,unfortunately.

BFrench501

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though I don't agree with every point you made, this is a generally well-reasoned post. Nicely said.

Thank you for the kind reply. Out of interest and for the purpose of having genuine insight from someone quite knowledgeable like yourself, can you share where our opinions differ? If you would like to do so via PM I would welcome that. I know forums can become a hunting ground sometimes ;)

I am keen to see the American point of view on things regarding my comments on manipulating the rack, 1 on the spot, triangles etc that you just don't see in Europe any more :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind reply. Out of interest and for the purpose of having genuine insight from someone quite knowledgeable like yourself, can you share where our opinions differ? If you would like to do so via PM I would welcome that. I know forums can become a hunting ground sometimes ;)

I am keen to see the American point of view on things regarding my comments on manipulating the rack, 1 on the spot, triangles etc that you just don't see in Europe any more :)
In a nutshell? We(the U.S.) don't give a FLYING F^*K what Europeans do. Sorry to be so blunt but its true. The MC is a Barry Hearn, Euro-centric, made-fo-t.v. exhibition. Do i wish we'd stop CHOKING OUR NUTS OFF and win one again? Of course but its still a short-race sideshow.