Which cues goes up in price over time?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I want shed of everything...but it never works. I sell three and get two, sell four and get one. When I get to zero im done for sure. Most everything of any consequence I have owned is gone. The massive amount of people putting cues together has effected every facet of the process. It snowballs upward, everything effects the top. There will always be a select few that buy and never touch them again, just stick them in a case and hope they never warp so their heirs aren't stuck with a bunch of vastly over priced looky-cues.

The only way to make any money or consider something an investment is to buy dirt cheap and sell lower than market value.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garzar they are not old high deflection antiques. You can put any of the new technology shafts on any of them. Demand may go down some but there will always be a demand for the true top shelf makers.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy a cue based on appreciation factor. I'd only buy what I wanted to play with and enjoy. Having said that, there is no cost to put your name on the list for 2 new South West cues per year. You might have to wait 14 or 15 years but those who have done so have been handsomely rewarded.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garzar they are not old high deflection antiques. You can put any of the new technology shafts on any of them. Demand may go down some but there will always be a demand for the true top shelf makers.
I know that. I'm just saying that if you go to almost any major event these days you rarely see the old classics. Lots of production stuff, LD shafts of all types. Current generation and next generation of players have almost zero interest in the old-school stuff. The butt to them is just a shaft holder. Inlays, veneers and all the other goodies don't even register to a lot of players.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My schon has tripled in value, want to buy it?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My $.02... as stated before, buy what you like.. Me? I like
TAD, Gus Szamboti, Tim Scruggs, Tascarella. The
"investment" part doesn't figure into it.. those are the
cues with the hit I like.

If you have a desirable cue or case for sale, it'll sell to
someone that likes owning the classics. Every time I
see a nice It's George 1x2 case for sale, it's sold in
a New York minute.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the input. I definitely agree with "shooting/buying what you like and ignore the value". I have been with the same cue for almost 20 years and have owned various cue's (southwest, black boar, dishaw, hearn, predator,viatorre, etc.).
I have been on a pool hiatus for 2 years and i rechecked how much my southwest cue is worth; and it blew my mind how much the resale asking price for a southwest has gone up.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? So many are being resold at a loss on fb now.

I know, I was pointing out the juxtaposition. I actually can't imagine the collector cue market doing very well right now. Forget what people say, only an OPEN auction tells you whats what.

][cee

Registered
The old Schon cues (Runde era) have gone up in value. My $350 R12 is easily worth over $1000. This took over 30yrs; so real estate, old cars and stock would have a better ROI if that is what you are looking for.

I like knowing that I've had a lot of enjoyment from every cue I've owned with no loss in value.

Fred

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The old Schon cues (Runde era) have gone up in value. My $350 R12 is easily worth over $1000. This took over 30yrs; so real estate, old cars and stock would have a better ROI if that is what you are looking for.

I like knowing that I've had a lot of enjoyment from every cue I've owned with no loss in value.

Fred

There are a lot of cues that went up in value that were made pre 90's but those cues values have consistently decreased over the last 20 years. The 80's Schön cues have been one of the few cues that have ridden out the up's and downs, even making gains, over the last 20 years. They were never considered a very high dollar cue even though they were very nicely built and a great playing one. Now that they're more readily available they've kind of become the "poor mans" Szamboti imo. Also the many fans of early Schöns, me included, are a big reason they're staying desirable and for now, keeping the prics fairly steady.

That said, their values have peaked and are no longer going up imho.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

To bolster your argument I bought a base BLACK BOAR in 1993 for $850.
I sold it last fall for $4850 on e bay. In the last 5 minutes it went from
$1900 to $4850

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the spread between bid and offer is huge for well know high dollar cues, so unless you buy right figure on a big bloodbath.
They may go up in price but it could take years to be able to sell at a profit. Cues are for fun,not making money.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
To bolster your argument I bought a base BLACK BOAR in 1993 for $850.

I sold it last fall for $4850 on e bay. In the last 5 minutes it went from

$1900 to $4850
It's like they say about art, buy quality that you like and if you are fortunate you'll enjoy it and as a bonus it can go up. On the other hand, $850 put in Apple stock in 1993 would be worth somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 today depending on how early in the year you bought it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's like they say about art, buy quality that you like and if you are fortunate you'll enjoy it and as a bonus it can go up. On the other hand, $850 put in Apple stock in 1993 would be worth somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 today depending on how early in the year you bought it.

And that would be a monster loser compared to buying Bitcoin in the early days.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
And that would be a monster loser compared to buying Bitcoin in the early days.
Was bitcoin around in 1993?

But yes, I get it, there are more extreme examples. I went for a realistic one.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard's are fixing to skyrocket, probably surpassing all but Burton, Herman, and George.
(This, of course, is my opinion)

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You fail to mention the hundreds of start ups that are now worth 0.
Also, I got the use of the black boar for many years

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
The days of cue value appreciation are gone. Nothing made today will appreciate. My only caveat is if one receives a cue directly from a tier one maker, and then flips it due to supply/demand. A cue bought second-hand in today's market is worth what one pays, or below. You'd have to luck into one hell of a steal to make a profit.