View Single Post
Old
  (#10)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
I think what 99 is advocating will help people somewhat but it might not help your end of rack problems. Consistently having end rack problems is usually a result of bad decisions earlier in the rack.
This is a good post.

I think the key to get a run started is to make a good first shot. The first shot is often what makes or breaks a run. You need a pocketable shot that gets your cue ball under tight control.

This no-touch drill is designed to get you to think about your cueball from the very beginning and keep a sharp focus throughout. How often haven't we all had a great breakshot and then relaxed a little bit and gotten stuck somewhere? I can't speak for anybody else, but personally I've done that about a million times.

Even if you find the drill itself not useful, for whatever reason, I think a reasonable substitute drill to do is to practise the first shot after a break from behind the line. Shoot a breakshot, take ball in hand behind the line and try to play position on a secondary break or problem ball without touching anything else. Play position for a secondary breakshot and rebreak. It's almost the reverse of the 5.1 he's been practising. In the substitute drill he's focusing on the first 2 or 3 shots, rather than the last 5. If you combine that with 5.1, you're focusing on the biggest hurdles of the game. The first and the last shots.

Or you could just play the game normally, of course. I realize that not everybody shares my ideas of the game and practise. That's ok. I'd like to thank everyone for testing this drill for me and satisfying my curiosity. Personally, I love making drills, trying very challenging things, rather than just play. I believe it helps me improve faster, but I realize not everyone is like me.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 07-16-2018 at 05:47 PM.