2018 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
36 ball run on 7-22-18 bested previous high by 1 ball 🤷🏽

https://youtu.be/p9PpumumQnA

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Nice Shooting. you pocket very well.

You should definitley seek instruction in 14.1 from someone who knows the game and patterns. Quite a few times you were on the right path, but you changed things up which caused some issues. you had some much better patterns you could of played. and a few times i think you may have fallen into position as for you were not playing to be there.

Just an observation

keep shooting well !
-Steve

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Shooting. you pocket very well.

You should definitley seek instruction in 14.1 from someone who knows the game and patterns. Quite a few times you were on the right path, but you changed things up which caused some issues. you had some much better patterns you could of played. and a few times i think you may have fallen into position as for you were not playing to be there.

Just an observation

keep shooting well !

-Steve

Thanks Seth and Steve!

Steve, I do recognize I didn’t approach the table properly throughout the racks like I was instructed to, even while I was shooting I recognized it. I had non-14.1 things I’m working on that was my primary focus, yet I still try to play the game as often as possible. As for 14.1, i know I should’ve identified break and key ball as early as possible, knock out rail balls (when cue is at narrow angle or steep angle only if i have insurance ball to pocket once cue comes off rail and into cluster) and balls that block other balls from being pocketed in corner pocket. I know right out the gate I need to analyze the table to see what goes where and what balls can be pocketed to open up clusters, if possible, opening up away from the break ball. I know I shouldn’t go into a cluster except i know i have an insurance ball to pocket. I know that my last balls should ideally be square in shape so that all i need to do is pretty much stop shots down to an ideal break shot position for the cueball, etc etc.

In spite of my novice run, I’m still very proud of my run! I’m even more proud of my progress on the things I’ve been working on. All in all, those things plus what I was taught in 14.1 will gel and you will see even higher runs from me.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks Seth and Steve!

Steve, I do recognize I didn’t approach the table properly throughout the racks like I was instructed to, even while I was shooting I recognized it. I had non-14.1 things I’m working on that was my primary focus, yet I still try to play the game as often as possible. As for 14.1, i know I should’ve identified break and key ball as early as possible, knock out rail balls (when cue is at narrow angle or steep angle only if i have insurance ball to pocket once cue comes off rail and into cluster) and balls that block other balls from being pocketed in corner pocket. I know right out the gate I need to analyze the table to see what goes where and what balls can be pocketed to open up clusters, if possible, opening up away from the break ball. I know I shouldn’t go into a cluster except i know i have an insurance ball to pocket. I know that my last balls should ideally be square in shape so that all i need to do is pretty much stop shots down to an ideal break shot position for the cueball, etc etc.

In spite of my novice run, I’m still very proud of my run! I’m even more proud of my progress on the things I’ve been working on. All in all, those things plus what I was taught in 14.1 will gel and you will see even higher runs from me.

I was not knocking you at all. just giving some insight. If you watch the 1st rack you had a Breakball and Keyball the whole rack and then you shot it away with a few ball left to break a remaining cluster with a few balls left. you did have other chances where you could of solved that with preserving the KB/BB.

Keep It Up

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not knocking you at all. just giving some insight. If you watch the 1st rack you had a Breakball and Keyball the whole rack and then you shot it away with a few ball left to break a remaining cluster with a few balls left. you did have other chances where you could of solved that with preserving the KB/BB.

Keep It Up

Thanks Steve! I didn’t take offense though. Nice to have a reminder to get back to the mental side of that game.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Quick little 29 ball run last night.

https://youtu.be/WxFlg4Yrbpk

I haven’t practiced any 14.1 in a long time so played a little last night. I ran this 29 then started getting really frustrated and mad so I stopped. Sorry about the music...lots of f-bombs.

Nicely Done !! BUT its only 28 LOL

I noticed you pocket real well, and in both racks you seem to attack your issues right away which is good. But i think the middle of the rack patterns may be something to be addressed. in both racks you could of come up with a better route which would of got you especially better on the 2nd break shot.

Keep up the nice work !
-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Oh, because I scratched it’s 28? I didn’t even think about that. I guess that last ball would spot in a game, huh?

Thanks for the feedback. My patterns are weak for sure and it gets really frustrating when I have perfectly runnable racks and I don’t get there because I can’t see the right patterns. I was recently told I just need to play more straight pool, so that’s what I intend to do. Maybe one day I’ll start seeing the right shots, lol.

It's amazing, we all see the correct shots when we watch it in a match or computer or tv, but when we are at the table the blinders come out.

I think that just means we all must walk the table more.

Keep at it my friend. i'd love to see more to help you out if i could !!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
46 this morning...getting closer to that elusive 50 ball mark.

https://youtu.be/0shFmx8OdcY

If you want a chuckle, check out the circus shot to open the stack after the break in the second rack.

I’m starting to see patterns a little better but I’m still really slow about it (and probably seeing the wrong patterns). I’m going to keep at it though. I’ll hit 50 sooner or later if I don’t give up on it.

Nice Shooting !!

That circus shot as you call it comes up a lot more than you think. One time I ran 73 off the break on a very similar shot but when my cue ball was down at the head rail.

Good catch on seeing that !!

You’ll get to that 50 Mark, your tenacity and drive will get you there.

Keep it up my friend.

Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
32 and 34. All the fat trimmed. Total time for the vid is about 6 and a half minutes.

Edit: I deleted the 28 and combined the edited 30, 32, & 34 into one vid so as not to create much clutter and for easier viewing. Total time for all three runs is a little over ten minutes.

https://youtu.be/d3XnwJ3jxtk

I won’t clog up the thread with these vids anymore. I’ll post one when I get in the 40s and I won’t post another until I manage to break 50 or until next years challenge—whichever comes first. :thumbup:

Post all the videos you want, that’s what we’re here fir

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High Run

(37)- July 24th during league play. This is my highest run during competition on a 9'. Also, had a 28 the same night. Was hot that night, not sure why. :rolleyes:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got inspired to really practice 14.1.. Let´s see if I gonna put some score here too :D

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Been a long time coming... but I finally did it !!! IT ONLY TOOK 10 YEARS TO FINALLY DO IT

Broke my high run with 136 on 9/2/18

Gotta see if the security camera caught it on video, not sure if this table is in camera view. If it is I’ll be sure to download it and post it.

Too bad it wasn’t in a game, so it’s not worth much. Felt like it was coming had 4 runs over 50 yesterday in games. With 65,52,57 and 82.

Steve

Last edited: