Revo vs Becue and others

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for an insight on Revo vs Becue comparison. Never shot with either.
Or any other carbon composite shaft you want to include.

Also Jacoby is supposed to be coming out with a new LD shaft this year i think 134 piece laminated instead of the 64 piece hybrid one right now.

Lamination only protects from warping, has nothing to do with LD. LD is low front end mass and flexablity.

Only product i know that's wooden and comparable to revo deflection is Krown Custom Cues shaft, which is non laminated slow turned cue with very low end mass. Takes about a year to make from what I understand. But he has over 1k on hand for demand.I will be getting on of these shafts and will write a review when i play with it. His is 190 USD compared to the high demand and lofty prices of revo right now.

So I am looking at alternative carbon composite shafts

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have shot with the REVO on several different butts (Predator, Josey, and a few other expensive customs) and the Becue. To me, the Becue plays better and hits better.

If you do a search, you will find several reviews of both the REVO and Becue and comparisons.

Everybody has a preference and a different idea of "feel". What one person likes, another may not.

After playing with both, I own a Becue...so you know which one I prefer.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?448262&p=5989986#post5989986

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?471172&p=6108036#post6108036

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just adding a bit of info that keeps getting asked among the many threads.

The joint of my Becue is .830 and it is 1.19 at the very end of the butt cap.

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have shot with the REVO on several different butts (Predator, Josey, and a few other expensive customs) and the Becue. To me, the Becue plays better and hits better.

If you do a search, you will find several reviews of both the REVO and Becue and comparisons.

Everybody has a preference and a different idea of "feel". What one person likes, another may not.

After playing with both, I own a Becue...so you know which one I prefer.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?448262&p=5989986#post5989986

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?471172&p=6108036#post6108036

what is your preference shaft? the 5.1 or the Prime?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is your preference shaft? the 5.1 or the Prime?

The Prime.

I got the cue with the 5.1. The 5.1 plays good, but I use a closed bridge and the conical taper isn't the greatest for that type of bridge.

I then ordered the Prime, which I use all the time.

The 5.1 may be a tad stiffer. If you use an open bridge, you may not notice much of a difference between the Prime and the 5.1 shaft.

chancen it

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
revo vs becue

I have had both. The becue plays great but the conical taper rises quickly. I shoot a lot with closed bridge. The painted shaft seemed to get tacky.The revo is a great shaft. Revo stays smooth and the taper is more comfortable. I had the 12.9 but would prefer the 12.4. I ended up selling the shaft and went with a mezz with the wx900 shaft.Happy with it. Not ruling out going back to revo at the 12.4 size.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Meez ExPro plays as well as the Revo!

I spent the day playing with the Revo and I still like my Mezz ExPro Better, in fact I like my new Jacoby Ultra-Pro even better.. They did more then just add laminations, the frontend is lighter.
Also Both my Mezz and Jacoby came with a 12.7mm tip I went 11" back and to it down conically to about 11.85 & 11.95.
Both out play the Revo in my opinion..

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the recent BCA tournament, my friend and I hit extensively with both the REVO and the BeCue. We both felt that the LD hype of the carbon fiber is real. With both cues you can load things up with English and not really need to adjust for squirt at all.

Ultimately, we both preferred the BeCue to the Revo by quite a bit. As non-LD wood shaft players our whole life, the BeCue is much closer to the feel and sound of real wood than the Revo. We actually liked the Revo less each day. It is super LD, but missing in playability at least for us.

The BeCue in hand feels like a $15 aluminum cue, but in actual play it has better feedback, sound and feel than the REVO. My friend bought one, and after several league nights he still likes it quite a bit.

I passed, largely because towards the end of the show I tried the new Jacoby Ultra shaft which in fairly limited exposure seemed to have deflection characteristics very similar to the BeCue and REVO, but felt and looked like a normal wood shaft. I am considering still getting a Jacoby with that shaft and seeing if that impression holds up long term.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
IMO the painting of the BeCue shaft was a fatal flaw. At least when compared to the ultra-smooth Revo shaft. The BeCue shaft gets too tacky, period, and unless you want to play with a glove -- it's terrible IMO.

I bought the Dark Matter break cue, and even for breaking, the shaft is just too tacky. So I put the Dark Matter BeCue away and I bought a BK Rush break cue and couldn't be happier.

wibo

Registered
white Colour/lubricity

i have removed the white paint from my two 5.1 shaft's and now slide much better than my WX900 and my Z2. You can also order the shaft unpainted on BeCue.:smile:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the recent BCA tournament, my friend and I hit extensively with both the REVO and the BeCue. We both felt that the LD hype of the carbon fiber is real. With both cues you can load things up with English and not really need to adjust for squirt at all.

Ultimately, we both preferred the BeCue to the Revo by quite a bit. As non-LD wood shaft players our whole life, the BeCue is much closer to the feel and sound of real wood than the Revo. We actually liked the Revo less each day. It is super LD, but missing in playability at least for us.

The BeCue in hand feels like a $15 aluminum cue, but in actual play it has better feedback, sound and feel than the REVO. My friend bought one, and after several league nights he still likes it quite a bit.

I passed, largely because towards the end of the show I tried the new Jacoby Ultra shaft which in fairly limited exposure seemed to have deflection characteristics very similar to the BeCue and REVO, but felt and looked like a normal wood shaft. I am considering still getting a Jacoby with that shaft and seeing if that impression holds up long term.

I agree with you and your friend about the Becue in comparison to the REVO.

The only thing I like better about the REVO is that the shaft is much "slicker" to the touch. The paint on the Becue makes it tackier and most people would probably want to use a glove with it. I have never tried using it without a glove because I haven't used powder since I started wearing a glove. Maybe I will try it this weekend using my powder and no glove.

Even though I use a glove and the Becue works fine, I make it even slicker by using Renaissance wax on it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Becue specs

Got a bit of time and nothing to do at the moment, so I decided to get my Becue ready for playing on Sunday.

Cleaned the cue with alcohol and then waxed it up nice with Renaissance Wax (butt and shaft).

Checked to see what size weight I had in it and saw that I was using the half-ounce bolt. I think I will change it to the three-quarter ounce bolt and see how that works. Playing under last week's conditions, I think the extra quarter-ounce would have given me a tad more "punch".

Decided to break out the calipers to see how "true to size" it was.

SHAFT 1: Prime Pro Taper Shaft (29")

12mm at the tip

12.52mm at 6" down

13.3mm at 12" down

16.74mm at 18" down

20.42mm at 24" down

21.44mm at the shaft joint (.842")

BUTT: Naked model (29")

21.44mm at the butt joint (.842")

25.29mm at 12' down from butt joint (.994")

29.01mm at 22" down from the butt joint (1.14")

30.5mm at the very end of the butt cap (1.20")

BALANCE POINT (measured by balancing it on my finger, with no weight bolts inside...Becue 12mm Prime Pro Taper shaft...shaft 29" and butt 29")

Balances at 19.25" up from the end of the butt

Balances at 18'' up from the end of the butt with a 1-ounce weight bolt inside

SHAFT 2: 5.1 conical taper shaft (30")

11.8mm at the tip

13.57mm at 6' down from the tip

15.1mm at 12" down from the tip

17.57mm at 18" down from the tip

20.49mm at 24" down from the tip

21.44mm at the shaft joint (.842")

BALANCE POINT (measured by balancing it on my finger, with no weight bolts inside...Becue 11.8mm 5.1 conical taper shaft...shaft 30" and butt 29")

Balances at 19.25" up from the end of the butt

Balances at 18" up from the end of the butt with a 1-ounce weight bolt inside

I found it interesting that the balance points remained the same even though both shafts had different dimensions and the 5.1 shaft was an inch longer.

BALANCE POINT WITH 10" EXTENSION:

Balances at 14.5" up from the end of the butt of the cue with the 10", 5-ounce extension on it. (24.5" from the bottom of the extension)

For the record: These were measured while I was "eye-balling" the measuring tape and calipers and laying on the bed. Accuracy may be off by a "smidgen".

MalibuMike

Banned
I love my Jacoby Ultra shaft ! Hits as good as my Mezz ExPro!

I agree with you and your friend about the Becue in comparison to the REVO.

The only thing I like better about the REVO is that the shaft is much "slicker" to the touch. The paint on the Becue makes it tackier and most people would probably want to use a glove with it. I have never tried using it without a glove because I haven't used powder since I started wearing a glove. Maybe I will try it this weekend using my powder and no glove.

Even though I use a glove and the Becue works fine, I make it even slicker by using Renaissance wax on it.

I love my Jacoby Ultra shaft ! Hits as good as my Mezz ExPro!

MalibuMike

Banned
I tried the new Jacoby Ultra shaft

"The BeCue in hand feels like a $15 aluminum cue, but in actual play it has better feedback, sound and feel than the REVO. My friend bought one, and after several league nights he still likes it quite a bit.

I passed, largely because towards the end of the show I tried the new Jacoby Ultra shaft which in fairly limited exposure seemed to have deflection characteristics very similar to the BeCue and REVO, but felt and looked like a normal wood shaft. I am considering still getting a Jacoby with that shaft and seeing if that impression holds up long term."

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll add my two cents.

Been playing with the 12.4 revo for a year now. I just bought the 12.0 Prime M and have been switching between the two for three days. The Prime M feels the same glide between the fingers. Its real nice, squirt is about the same as far as I can tell. But I just love the ting sound and firmness of the Revo. Anyone want to buy my radial pin Prime M?

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the Becue is not there in terms of fit, finish & quality. This is the reason I sold my Becue w/ a 5.1 shaft.

Predator has created this segment and continues to lead it. Whilst others are just coming out with their versions, I am sure Predator will come out with a variant at the SBE right along with Mezz. Maybe a new size, taper, length or a combo of 2 of these features.

I am fully adjusted to the Revo not having a distinct colour for a ferrule/vault plate - this was never an issue for me. My only problem is whether I stick to the 12.4 or 12.9. 12.9 feels more solid of the two and has a much stiffer hit. The 12.4 is better in terms of sighting and I feel like it suits the butt I am using.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the Becue is not there in terms of fit, finish & quality. This is the reason I sold my Becue w/ a 5.1 shaft.

Predator has created this segment and continues to lead it. Whilst others are just coming out with their versions, I am sure Predator will come out with a variant at the SBE right along with Mezz. Maybe a new size, taper, length or a combo of 2 of these features.

I am fully adjusted to the Revo not having a distinct colour for a ferrule/vault plate - this was never an issue for me. My only problem is whether I stick to the 12.4 or 12.9. 12.9 feels more solid of the two and has a much stiffer hit. The 12.4 is better in terms of sighting and I feel like it suits the butt I am using.
In spite of the fact I had possibility to test only Revo 12.9 out of all c.f. shafts available now and I really liked it very much I want to point out that Becue after their first generation c.f. shafts now offer second generation Prime-M and 5.1 M shafts. I believe they did their homework and now offering much better product. For the time being Becue might offer the best choice in terms of different options (joint type, length etc).
It would be great to see Predator offering more options with the joints and extra length though. I did like a stiff hit of Revo 12.9.

wibo

Registered
In my opinion BeCue delivers very good quality and the service is excellent. Should something be wrong you would be back without any problems.
Back in December 2017 I bought the first generation Cue natural frosted, with 5.1 Shaft and since then the quality was very good. Maybe not quite as perfect as Mezz but very good.

Last edited: