In the kitchen question

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
In straight pool if a player has ball in hand after an opponent scratches are object balls touching the string line playable or must they either be fully in or out of the kitchen? Thanks in advance.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In straight pool if a player has ball in hand after an opponent scratches are object balls touching the string line playable or must they either be fully in or out of the kitchen? Thanks in advance.

You go by the base of the ball (where it touches the table). If the base of the OB is on the head string or beyond it, that OB is playable with cue ball in hand behind the head string.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
You go by the base of the ball (where it touches the table). If the base of the OB is on the head string or beyond it, that OB is playable with cue ball in hand behind the head string.

Thanks for the quick reply. Had a discussion on this during play last night and that was my position but wanted to confirm that I was correct. Thanks again.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the quick reply. Had a discussion on this during play last night and that was my position but wanted to confirm that I was correct. Thanks again.
Some one pocket tournaments are played by "entire ball" relative to the line. That means the object ball must be all the way over the line and the cue ball must be all the way behind the line when in hand. I think that's a bad rule. There's no point to use anything other than the standard rule. Some people say it's much easier to judge in/out by the edge, but I don't agree, especially if the head string has been drawn on the cloth.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I did not know that Bob but now think that fact is what may have fueled the debate. Always can count on a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks