Please help selecting a carbon fiber shaft

msnicq

Registered
Hi all,

Thank you for spending time reading this post. I really need some advice in choosing a CF shaft.
I am pay with Mcdermott cue with their i3 shaft, and I am planning to buy a different cue to play.
I want to buy a Meucci cue butt with a Revo/Meucci/Mcdermott CF shaft. However, I have couple questions, please help answer them. Much appreciated.
1) I heard that Meucci cues have poor quality. How about their cue butts? Are they bad as well? or mainly the shaft? (I like their cue butt design)
2) I have heard bad things about uni-loc joint, some people say the joint would loose during the game. Is it true? Is it good if I look for radial joint or 5/16x18 joint?

The most important question
3)It seems that only Revo, Meucci CF Shaft, and Mcdermott offers radial/5/16x18 joint. Which one out of the three would you recommend? Or any other brand with the joint that you recommend?
I am looking for a Low deflection carbon fiber shaft, and unfortunately, there aren't any shops around me that can let me try those shaft. Please help. Thanks

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

Thank you for spending time reading this post. I really need some advice in choosing a CF shaft.
I am pay with Mcdermott cue with their i3 shaft, and I am planning to buy a different cue to play.
I want to buy a Meucci cue butt with a Revo/Meucci/Mcdermott CF shaft. However, I have couple questions, please help answer them. Much appreciated.
1) I heard that Meucci cues have poor quality. How about their cue butts? Are they bad as well? or mainly the shaft? (I like their cue butt design)
2) I have heard bad things about uni-loc joint, some people say the joint would loose during the game. Is it true? Is it good if I look for radical joint or 5/16x18 joint?

3)It seems that only Revo, Meucci CF Shaft, and Mcdermott offers radical/5/16x18 joint. Which one out of the three would you recommend? Or any other brand with the joint that you recommend?
I am looking for a Low deflection carbon fiber shaft, and unfortunately, there aren't any shops around me that can let me try those shaft. Please help. Thanks

I think you mean radial and 5/16-18. You might try the ask the cue makers forum. Plenty of gents there to help.
Best regards.
Joe P

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't over think on the butt. If you like a Meucci, go for it.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec Cynergy & Pechauer Rogue also make carbon shafts with those pins. Never had a uniloc come loose on me. My top 3 joints would be Radial, 3/8-10 & uniloc quick release.

NorthernArbiter

Registered
Hi all,
RE:
Thank you for spending time reading this post.
2) I have heard bad things about uni-loc joint, some people say the joint would loose during the game. Is it true? Is it good if I look for radial joint or 5/16x18 joint?

3)It seems that only Revo, Meucci CF Shaft, and Mcdermott offers radial/5/16x18 joint. Which one out of the three would you recommend? Or any other brand with the joint that you recommend?

1. Cue butt.

Cue butt are mostly a cosmetic choice, but the type of wrap (linen, leather, leather luxe, no wrap) are personal choices. What I like about the leather luxe on my SP2REVO4 is that it extends right to the very end of the cue butt. PS Not my choice, but Meucci makes great cues.

2. Uni Loc Joint

Both my BK Rush breaker and playing cue have uni Loc joints. I've had zero issues with the uni Loc joint... It stays tight. The best feature of the uni Loc joint is that any cue shaft that has a uni Loc joint will fit perfectly to any uni Loc joint butt... It will be seamless.

I've a friend who prefers the radial joint, but I can't tell a difference and I don't think there is any feel difference between cue joints... It's a mental thing for some. Like I wrote, uni Loc gives you the most shaft options.

3. Carbon Shaft Choice

I play the Revo shaft... It's my preference. I've tried the CueTec 15K shaft and Meucci.

But.... You mentioned you don't have any shops in your area... What makes the Revo hit so spectacularly well is that it does not have a ferrule..... But that's a huge maintenance problem. Replacing cue tips in a Revo requires a skilled cue guy with a lathe... So if you don't have a cue repair guy, then maybe choose the Meucci.

Yeah, no ferrule in the Revo... The predator marketing calls it vault plate technology. There is a relatively thin bit of carbon below the cue tip.... If you damage or wear the thin layer you risk destroying your Revo cue shaft... Tip replacement should only be done by top notch cue repair guys who use a lathe.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
i have hit the revo and the revo hits very differently on each butt the old black series p3 molinari ikon series all have steel joints the revo has a weird ping that i did not like the newer roadline ikion and p3 are a type of plastic or implex joint so feel and sound is different.to me a schon or peachauer steel joint with the revo i feel would be to stiff and very loud in a fake way and not feel like wood in my opinion. pechauer rogue and jacoby black and also cuetec synergy sound and feel like wood.
but deflection of synergy is highest to me.

so far my favorite setup has been the Predator stratus ii with revo imo hits best with revo or the
pechauer with jacoby black if like like a good stiff hit. just my opinions im not stating facts.

NorthernArbiter

Registered
Good points made about the Revo on different joints. As a rule, the butt has zero impact on the cue shaft hit.... But varying joint materials will absolutely make a feel difference.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe my SP2REVO4 Revo cue has the same micarta joint as the Roadline Cues... The hit using a micarta joint roadline and my all Revo cue is the same.

The only metal joint I ever liked was on the old Falcon NFZ Cues... I forget the thread pattern... I used the falcon with the original 314 shaft... Sadly, I sold it when I left billiards for many years.