5 rails and don't knock the quarter off - how many times did it take you to make it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Took my GF 6 tries. She's an APA 1 who has played 2 matches and probably less than 100 games in her life.

I tried ten times and couldn't make it (came real close about 3 times).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnkHNQGzAt0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks to Kickin' Chickin' for his story about this.
Cue Ball Kelly's version of the shot is to throw the cue ball with his hand, hit the five cushions and then freeze to the object ball on the spot which has a piece of chalk balanced on top. There are people who will bet on 20 throws. I've seen someone who never tried it before freeze it in two throws (small table, slow cloth, Copper Mountain, Colorado, about 1982).

(The chalk actually stabilizes the object ball and a groove pressed into the table a ball from the spot helps with the freezing, but the groove would be unethical if you were betting.;))

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Ball Kelly's version of the shot is to throw the cue ball with his hand, hit the five cushions and then freeze to the object ball on the spot which has a piece of chalk balanced on top. There are people who will bet on 20 throws. I've seen someone who never tried it before freeze it in two throws (small table, slow cloth, Copper Mountain, Colorado, about 1982).

(The chalk actually stabilizes the object ball and a groove pressed into the table a ball from the spot helps with the freezing, but the groove would be unethical if you were betting.;))

What about superglue? Couldn't that "accidentally get on the ball, cloth and chalk" I haven't seen anyone bet more than 2 dollars on a prop bet in 50 years, and I was the sucker , just because I wanted to learn it .

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of an odd 5 rail kick, but I'm game for anything, well almost anything.

Edit: Got it on about the 15th try. I think I would of lost the bet to. LOL A bit challenging trying to change the natural running english on the last two rails, but it actually helps slow it down.

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
That one is good. Almost as good as 8/9 rails to land on the $100 bill to keep it.

-td

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That chalk definitely makes it easier. I'm going to have to try and throw it now and see what happens.

Kind of an odd 5 rail kick, but I'm game for anything, well almost anything.

Edit: Got it on about the 15th try. I think I would of lost the bet to. LOL A bit challenging trying to change the natural running english on the last two rails, but it actually helps slow it down.

LOL, at least you didn't get beat by an APA 1 :)

That one is good. Almost as good as 8/9 rails to land on the $100 bill to keep it.

-td

I haven't tried that since the early 90's. I'll have to give it a go soon.