Lying Laurie Franklin of SW cues

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I've owned both a Brian Mordt and SW the woods they use makes the difference

And I stand by what I said she's putting others ahead of people that ordered years ago I just read a post on here where she let someone jump the line it's not fare ...................:mad:

And not just one stick but 2 every year

Why? If the order was in for 2 every year before the waiting list, why would it matter? And in this case the order was made long before you even considered ordering one.

If you don't like the wait, I'm sure they would take your name off the list with a simple phone call.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? If the order was in for 2 every year before the waiting list, why would it matter? And in this case the order was made long before you even considered ordering one.

If you don't like the wait, I'm sure they would take your name off the list with a simple phone call.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My order was pushed back....
BUT Laurie let me know what was up-
" When my turn came-
we designed the cue,
I sent deposit....
Approx 6 months and my cue arrived-
MY SW is in my AVATAR"
My only complaint-I really wanted Ebony nose
Still a great cue-
SUPERBLY CRAFTED-Excellent shafts as well"

If you went over the design, why isn't it Ebony nosed?
Jason

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason

There was something on the forum some years back about the CITES laws changing for some exotic woods (ebony being one of the main ones), and Southwest choosing to not use it anymore after their supply was gone IIRC.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There was something on the forum some years back about the CITES laws changing for some exotic woods (ebony being one of the main ones), and Southwest choosing to not use it anymore after their supply was gone IIRC.

I remember that. That's brutal to wait all those years and not get what you wanted.
Jason

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jason

Laurie said something like-
No GOOD QUALITY EBONY WOOD AT THIS TIME"
When We went over the design.

" No worries-
I think the Cocobolo plays every bit as good as ebony-
Cue Butt weighs 15.2 ounces
LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER TOO :)

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laurie said something like-
No GOOD QUALITY EBONY WOOD AT THIS TIME"
When We went over the design.

" No worries-
I think the Cocobolo plays every bit as good as ebony-
Cue Butt weighs 15.2 ounces
LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER TOO :)

Would SW accept a piece of Ebony from you and use it if it met their quality standards?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would SW accept a piece of Ebony from you and use it if it met their quality standards?

" I'm not sure about that"
" I'LL SAY THIS-
Throughout the order time and delays,
Laurie was always right up front with me,
Left me feeling great as a customer....

I never thought of offering wood though,
Primarily BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE ANY GOOD QUALITY EBONY EITHER :grin-square:
just kidding,
but maybe I could of sent wood to build my cue"

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
" I'm not sure about that"
" I'LL SAY THIS-
Throughout the order time and delays,
Laurie was always right up front with me,
Left me feeling great as a customer....

I never thought of offering wood though,
Primarily BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE ANY GOOD QUALITY EBONY EITHER :grin-square:
just kidding,
but maybe I could of sent wood to build my cue"

I don't think sending your own wood is acceptable at SW no matter what. Gaboon ebony is back in stock for the cues at this time. With an upcharge. Only one ebony cue may be ordered per customer per year.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think sending your own wood is acceptable at SW no matter what. Gaboon ebony is back in stock for the cues at this time. With an upcharge. Only one ebony cue may be ordered per customer per year.

" I know GABOON IS desired by South West fans,
But I Would of ordered Macassar-
"PLAYS MUCH BETTER THAN GABOON :wink:

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own. I like the playability of gaboon over macassar. Some ppl like power pool others prefer finesse.

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
I admit, I came into this thread on page 3, and I haven't been on AZB for quite a long time. However, I will chime in on the SW discussion. To the gentlemen who said SW cues play like crap, I'd like to say you're an idiot, but because I don't know you personally, I'll just say you have zero clue to what a great playing cue is. To the gentlemen who called Laurie a liar, you Sir, are sadly mistaken. I've never met a more upstanding business person in my life. I ordered my first SW in Feb 1997, and there was a 4 year wait. I didn't receive my cue until 2005, yes, 8 years later. Stuff happens. I've been a steady customer ever since. As for the gentlemen who said he wouldn't want a SW unless Jerry built it, well, there are Franklin-era SW cues available. What I know to be true and factual is, that the last 2 years of Jerry's life he was only spraying the finish on the cues and Mickey was already taking over as the main cuemaker. That's directly from Laurie. As for sending your own wood to have them build a cue. That's highly unlikely. Reason being...imagine you had a prized piece of (whatever wood) and they accepted it to build your dream cue, and in the process of turning it down, it cracked and became unusable. Hmmm...how would you be feeling? That's probably the #1 reason they don't use customer's wood.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I admit, I came into this thread on page 3, and I haven't been on AZB for quite a long time. However, I will chime in on the SW discussion. To the gentlemen who said SW cues play like crap, I'd like to say you're an idiot, but because I don't know you personally, I'll just say you have zero clue to what a great playing cue is. To the gentlemen who called Laurie a liar, you Sir, are sadly mistaken. I've never met a more upstanding business person in my life. I ordered my first SW in Feb 1997, and there was a 4 year wait. I didn't receive my cue until 2005, yes, 8 years later. Stuff happens. I've been a steady customer ever since. As for the gentlemen who said he wouldn't want a SW unless Jerry built it, well, there are Franklin-era SW cues available. What I know to be true and factual is, that the last 2 years of Jerry's life he was only spraying the finish on the cues and Mickey was already taking over as the main cuemaker. That's directly from Laurie. As for sending your own wood to have them build a cue. That's highly unlikely. Reason being...imagine you had a prized piece of (whatever wood) and they accepted it to build your dream cue, and in the process of turning it down, it cracked and became unusable. Hmmm...how would you be feeling? That's probably the #1 reason they don't use customer's wood.

Laurie is a wonderful person and that shop is amazing.
On the other hand this thread is awful, so you have to consider the fact that certain people will complain about anything.
To go so far as to call Laurie Franklin a liar publicly is disgraceful.

Laurie called me last week to talk about an old Kersenbrock I sent pics of, and she is really cool.
I think we are the same age, I have a crush.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Laurie is a wonderful person and that shop is amazing.
On the other hand this thread is awful, so you have to consider the fact that certain people will complain about anything.
To go so far as to call Laurie Franklin a liar publicly is disgraceful.

Laurie called me last week to talk about an old Kersenbrock I sent pics of, and she is really cool.
I think we are the same age, I have a crush.

My experience with Laurie as well. She's a sweetheart.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i had the good fortune of getting many cues from Jerry (RIP), Laurie and the rest of the SW crew.

if only all cue shops were as honest and straight forward as they are

must take someone real special to get sideways with them

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m calling her a LIAR

I got along with her over the phone very nice person but she’s a liar 12 years I’ve been waiting and passed over for years
wow, if something like that happened in the restaurant business, well, I don't know. Maybe if you were a jerk your table might be late, or, possibly your food is delayed with a couple of added "treats" on top

always amazes me when hundreds if not thousands of people have a positive a experience based on a 30+ year run and someone jumps up and goes crazy in the other direction.

hard to believe Southwest can stay in business... Ha

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
wow, if something like that happened in the restaurant business, well, I don't know. Maybe if you were a jerk your table might be late, or, possibly your food is delayed with a couple of added "treats" on top

always amazes me when hundreds if not thousands of people have a positive a experience based on a 30+ year run and someone jumps up and goes crazy in the other direction.

hard to believe Southwest can stay in business... Ha

Joel,
Nice looking up in your avatar-
German short hair pointer?
S/W SHOP Excellent reputation....HIGHLY RECOMMEND-
"Just be patient :smile:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Llewellin Setter... great bird dog and great around the house. He was about 3 months old in the picture & now about 11 years old and sill going strong.

H

happynappypappy

SouthWest is just one of many "NAME" cues , life won't end if you don't get one ... It is very petty and shallow to publicly air your disappointment . Laurie is doing the best she can . I personally have visited her and truly admire her for making a living making cues as I have made them myself . I used to have one ( from early 80's made by Jerry) that was made for Jimmy Mataya ... Played good . After 2 unsuccessful attempts to buy her cues in person , I started making my own . I've had the gambit of so-called name brands and truly believe that their names do not mean great playing cues !!! The flippers and no playing turds have set the prices because idiots are paying them . My advice , since good woods are getting harder to get , I would call PRATHER , or Andy Gilbert . They seem to have good woods ! Thats what is most important , don't pay for a name when it's all about playing the game . Get off little Laurie because she is a real sweetheart and should be admired for her work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man , people nowadays , I say spank the hell out of your children , maybe the future will improve ...