Gold Crown I

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Well...having sold my Brunswick 9' Medalist about 20 years ago and stepping away I came back to the game last year. Love it more than ever. The problem is, running out today to get some fresh air and a country drive, my truck auto-steered itself to the rural Billiard and Cycle shop I'd bought the Medalist from. Family run, small, at least 4 generations of table and motorbike mechanics.

Kinda surprised A.they were still in business and B.open today.

Original owners grandson was working, I casually asked about used tables and about 7 minutes later I signed off on a GCI. :lol:

They'd bought 9 from a college up state and had two left.

White is gonna get stripped off, sanded, and stained. IMO, in my house, it will look better. Throw on some blue 860 cloth. Rails all looked great, asked him for the corner ashtray alternatives but stuff is hard to find and they are nice and retro. We'll see on that.

Anyway - since the wife will first know when she see's it set-up after she gets home from work in a few weeks I figured I'd tell ya'll. :yeah:

I have to stop social distancing driving. It's gets expensive.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...having sold my Brunswick 9' Medalist about 20 years ago and stepping away I came back to the game last year. Love it more than ever. The problem is, running out today to get some fresh air and a country drive, my truck auto-steered itself to the rural Billiard and Cycle shop I'd bought the Medalist from. Family run, small, at least 4 generations of table and motorbike mechanics.

Original owners grandson was working, I casually asked about used tables and about 7 minutes later I signed off on a GCI. :lol:

White is gonna get stripped off, sanded, and stained. IMO, in my house, it will look better. Throw on some blue 860 cloth. Rails all looked great, asked him for the corner ashtray alternatives but stuff is hard to find and they are nice and retro. We'll see on that.

Anyway - since the wife will first know when she see's it set-up after she gets home from work in a few weeks I figured I'd tell ya'll. :yeah:

Better buy her something nice. :smile:

td

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a set of solid corners i'll trade for the ashtray corners.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
You guys taking about the corner castings or just the ashtrays themselves or both? I could swear I saw one or the other this morning when I was poking around on parts.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys taking about the corner castings or just the ashtrays themselves or both? I could swear I saw one or the other this morning when I was poking around on parts.

The corner castings that had the ash tray built into them.... part of the table, not a separate ash tray.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
As I remember them there were castings that had the rests integrated and could accept ashtray liners which were separate but I can'tbe sure and an questioning myself since I can't find any images.

Those must have been a mess to clean when they were used as intended.

Maybe I'm thinking of the ones built into some of the bowling seating?

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
As I remember them there were castings that accept ashtrays which were separate pieces...and mostly lost to time.

Sent from the future.

Thanks...I believe that's the case. I should have taken a few pics, I always forget I have a phone in my pocket. :blush: Makes a helluva lot more sense if you're going to have an ashtray, the tables are kind hard to move just to empty one. Who wants to pick someone's butts from an ashtray?

But as I've read up on GCI's today, as many can appreciate, it can get confusing. The name plate looked like cast aluminum and should have been plastic. Seems lots of nuances on GC1's depending on the moment they were made.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

my gc1 came with the standard corner castings but years ago I saw a set of corner castings avail with the ashtray inserts and I jumped on them. A buddy of mine who does metal work gave these a quick freshen up before I installed them. I wanted these for nostalgic reasons, some of the early rooms I visited had them.

There was some concern over whether or not these might cause a bridging issue on some shots but I'm happy to report there has been zero problems with that. If any such problem ever did come up, remember the ashtrays can lift right out. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing your acquisition when you get it set up.

congrats!

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• GC1-ashtray-top.jpg
    GC1-ashtray-top.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 447
  • GC1-ashtray-bottom.jpg
    GC1-ashtray-bottom.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 444
  • GC-1-ashtray.jpg
    GC-1-ashtray.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 605
  • ashtray-chalk-GC-inst.jpg
    ashtray-chalk-GC-inst.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 431
  • ashtray-table-GC-inst.jpg
    ashtray-table-GC-inst.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
my gc1 came with the standard corner castings but years ago I saw a set of corner castings avail with the ashtray inserts and I jumped on them. A buddy of mine who does metal work gave these a quick freshen up before I installed them. I wanted these for nostalgic reasons, some of the early rooms I visited had them.

There was some concern over whether or not these might cause a bridging issue on some shots but I'm happy to report there has been zero problems with that. If any such problem ever did come up, remember the ashtrays can lift right out. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing your acquisition when you get it set up.

congrats!

best,
brian kc

KC: - your table looks great! :thumbup2: Thanks for the background and the pics.

Did you send out the name plate or Repro? That looks in really fine shape. I think you're right about having metal work done, I've got to call him today since we have a few weeks before they clean-up the table and deliver. Since I suck at taking things apart and putting back together it would be best to get ahead of it.

I too recall shooting on tables with the corner ashtray but I'll be darned if I can remember where. I know I smoked which is why I remember. :lol: It still feels a little off on the corner casting though, I only glanced at the table corner (all disassembled) and my mind's eye remembers a recessed but not hollow housing where the ashtray would sit. It was very shallow. However I have not seen any pics online of an ashtray other than what you have on your table which is the same as what I remember.

Did you send out your ball box trim too?

Thanks...geez these GC1's are finicky with the timeline they were built and the use-what's-on-hand business model!!

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The corner castings are very cool.
In the 60’s an$ 70’s it wasn’t uncommon to see a smoking player lay his cigarette on the rail or drop ashes on the cloth. In bars you would see burn marks on the rails. I don’t miss the smoking days. Despite that, I still love those corner castings.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never liked the idea of ashtrays on a pool table and had mine replaced in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. I think I paid the local Brunswick dealer $20 per table to swap them out, and I had twenty of them. I did not allow cigs on the rail either by my customers. The two Brunswick snooker tables did not have ashtrays. Weird huh

Last edited:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never liked the idea of ashtrays on a pool table and had mine replaced in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. I think I paid the local Brunswick dealer $20 per table to swap them out, and I had twenty of them. I did not allow cigs on the rail either by my customers. The two Brunswick snooker tables did not have ashtrays. Weird huh

I completely agree. If anyone came near my table with a cigarette I'd flip my lid.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I completely agree. If anyone came near my table with a cigarette I'd flip my lid.

the ashtrays on my gc are decorative and nostalgic. No one smokes in my rec room or anywhere in my house. when any buddies who smoke have come over they typically head out to my driveway for a smoke break.

At the pool rooms in the 60's and even the 70's I remember guys playing on these early gc's with the ashtray corners and still leaving their cigs burning on the formica. :confused: I mighta been one of those jerks around the mid 70's, once or twice. :eek:

best,
brian kc <----- smoke free since '95

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in rural Kentucky in the 60's and 70's and smoking while shooting pool was just standard operating procedure. There was no furniture in those long narrow halls to even put an ashtray on anyway. The only furniture was old classic art-deco Brunswick and Steepleton tables. I kinda assumed that table manufacturers made the rail caps out of dark wood like walnut, or rosewood, just so the cig burns didn't show up as bad. I don't think they even bothered putting a finish on those rail caps, other than maybe hand rubbed with a cloth soaked in linseed oil.

I never really smoked, so it was never my favorite part about hanging out in the halls, but tobacco was king in those days and you just had to live with it, or stay home, and I loved the game too much to stay at home.