Gold Crown I

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Appreciate all the chatter on ashtrays...lol. Been a smoker that's used the ashtray on a GC1 WAY BACK WHEN and also the smoking hater (Present Day) that's seen what cigarettes do to people and it makes me sick.

All why I was a little conflicted between nostalgia and present day presentation. Totally appreciate both or either.

The wife, a descendant of Kentucky tobacco farmers and self-ordained Ministers never smoked and hated it when I did back in the day. I could see her not appreciating the nostalgia on a piece of furniture in the house. :bash:

They're putting a lot of work into the refinish on this GCI. I left the corners up to him and what he feels looks best - I'll be happy with either. They're doing all the metal work, I just ordered the Reproduction name plate, will hang onto original. It looked tricky to refinish and paint - not my strong suit. :eek:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Appreciate all the chatter on ashtrays...lol. Been a smoker that's used the ashtray on a GC1 WAY BACK WHEN and also the smoking hater (Present Day) that's seen what cigarettes do to people and it makes me sick.

All why I was a little conflicted between nostalgia and present day presentation. Totally appreciate both or either.

The wife, a descendant of Kentucky tobacco farmers and self-ordained Ministers never smoked and hated it when I did back in the day. I could see her not appreciating the nostalgia on a piece of furniture in the house. :bash:

They're putting a lot of work into the refinish on this GCI. I left the corners up to him and what he feels looks best - I'll be happy with either. They're doing all the metal work, I just ordered the Reproduction name plate, will hang onto original. It looked tricky to refinish and paint - not my strong suit. :eek:

there's a way to paint the nameplates involving vaseline on the high relief but still quite a pain in the ass.

I know someone who still may have some NOS orig nameplates - his family was in the billiards biz in the 60's and he sold me a couple a while back.

if interested, let me know and I'll chk with him.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
there's a way to paint the nameplates involving vaseline on the high relief but still quite a pain in the ass.

I know someone who still may have some NOS orig nameplates - his family was in the billiards biz in the 60's and he sold me a couple a while back.

if interested, let me know and I'll chk with him.

Thank you sir!!! Kind offer! I guess it's just two screws and the Repro is adhesive and I have one coming from Classic. 90 bucks seemed kinda steep but...glad they are around to do business with. The chrome ball box frame is supposed to be in nice shape and they'll beautify but if not - ouch at $195.00.

Anyway - appreciate the offer, I'll have them take the old one off while they're here and mildly attach the repro. Will let the wife (artsy...left hander) try and paint the original, I get the concept of the vaseline. If all that fails...I'll send you a smoke signal.

Thanks much. I've got to remember to win a couple games on it before I worry about "perfect", I reckon. :lol:

RickC

Registered
"fond" memory

I remember playing Marco Marquez in a local Chicago tournament long ago on tables that had these ashtrays. Being the underdog, I knew I had to play my best to have a chance, so I took a deep breath before a tough shot and exhaled as I bent over the cueball.
Ashes flew In my face and everyone had a good laugh.....I still got beat. But fun memory.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
When GC's came with ashtrays were they in all 4 corners or just 2 corners diagonal from each other??

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
I remember playing on them and firing a ball in and knocking the ash tray out sometimes. 🤦🏻*♂️

They definitely rattled on some tables so some rooms none of the tables would have them in.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When GC's came with ashtrays were they in all 4 corners or just 2 corners diagonal from each other??

All four corners. I had the original Brunswick double high chair setups at every table. The two high chairs were joined by a narrow table with an ash tray in the center. Players could leave their burning cigs in there. These things were pretty flimsy and I was constantly tightening the screws that held them together. I doubt there are many left in existence today.