Shuffleboard

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else notice shuffleboard becoming popular? A couple rooms in the DC area have been added tables in the past year. I went to my league last night and two Brunswicks have been removed, and the rumor I heard was shuffleboard tables were replacing them.

Those shuffleboard tables take lots of real estate and I'm hoping the trend doesn't continue too much.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I understand that bars took them out because they did take up too much space, were very expensive, and also and hard to maintain.

It may just be a fad or novelty. They are also a alternative to playing pool for someone that cannot play pool very well. Each player still has a turn no matter how bad they are. In pool if you cannot play very good you may not get many chances at the table.

Foosball and darts were supposed to take over but I don't think either has.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a shuffleboard at Amsterdam Billiards. I don't see it used terribly often but apparently, it's very popular with the Saturday night crowd, especially when there is a wait-list for pool. This should tell you something.

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't even know what a shuffleboard looks like, i'll google it. So i'm pretty sure there aren't any pool halls around here with one!

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
There are alot more of these out there than you would think. Usually they are leased rather than purchased. I know there are, at least, 100 boards in the Greater Phoenix area. 50+ bars have them all across the valley.

Shuffleboard is an intersting game to follow. Since it is unknown, it is organized, at the highest levels, by the players and the people who have a passion for the game... Imagine what pool could be if the right people were behind the wheel.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
You can put a Shuffleboard table along a long wall. There is no need to walk around the table, just one narrow walkway on oneside of it. IMO they take up less room than a pool table with the player haviing to walk all around it to shoot wth cueskicks pistoning in in all directions. It's a great game of skill and you can gamble on it. Johnnyt

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
I heard that there's a place here locally that wants to hold the state championships for shuffle board there. They also said that they might have to take out some tables there as well. D'oh!!!