Jr World Championship

Race2-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the latest update from the Jr World Championships and was pleasently surprised to read that true sportsmanship still exist when Landon Shufflet (? spelling) called a foul on himself that no one else saw! I read all the time about the low lifes in this game and I'm glad to see the possibility that the next generation of players may have more intestinal fortitude than exist today. Just my thoughts

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
That action bears out Landon's good character and upbringing. I wish it were indicative of his generation's integrity but as far as I'm concerned, I see too much evidence to the contrary. Landon will continue to distinguish himself in all ways in life I'm sure. The die is cast...Tom

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 possible reasons for calling a foul upon one's self.

Perfectionist attitude: A perfectionist would call a foul on themself, and would not accept a slop shot.

Glutton for Punishment: He may have called the foul on himself in order to teach himself a lesson. If the foul costs him a game or the match, then he will never want to repeat that mistake again.

Ethical Code: He may feel obligated to be honest with everyone because it might cause feelings of guilt for winning if he had not called the foul, and consequently won the game/match.

You know this game was originally played by royalty and also to very high class society. And integrity and respect would be incorporated in the game. I like to think, that playing pool is a priviledge, and that I would strive to use proper ettiquette befitting a king.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Bobby Jones did the same thing a long time ago in the US Amateur (golf) only to lose by the penalty stroke he called on himself. This, while not followed 100% of the time, has become the norm, and expected in golf. I hope that billiards would follow suit. Integrity is sadly overlooked much too often these days as a trait to be admired, and immulated....

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
3 possible reasons for calling a foul upon one's self.

Perfectionist attitude: A perfectionist would call a foul on themself, and would not accept a slop shot.

Glutton for Punishment: He may have called the foul on himself in order to teach himself a lesson. If the foul costs him a game or the match, then he will never want to repeat that mistake again.

Ethical Code: He may feel obligated to be honest with everyone because it might cause feelings of guilt for winning if he had not called the foul, and consequently won the game/match.

Um, you left out good sportsmanship.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
From the AZ front page:

"Aslam Sayed Sharik, a young player who redefines methodical, bested both Yevgen Novosad of the Ukraine (9-7) and Chew Ming Tan of Singapore (9-2) in a match that saw Sharik take more than 25 minutes to clear a single rack."

Wow.

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone figure how the format goes?

Is it a seperate event for the guys and gals or do they all play one another?

Pool is such a wonderful game play by so many people from so many different country. Didn't know there was such a country as Nicaragua!

Pool is such a wonderful sport.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
trustyrusty said:
Bobby Jones did the same thing a long time ago in the US Amateur (golf) only to lose by the penalty stroke he called on himself. This, while not followed 100% of the time, has become the norm, and expected in golf. I hope that billiards would follow suit. Integrity is sadly overlooked much too often these days as a trait to be admired, and immulated....

In Europe, this is a common thing to do, and not only respected but expected act. And I'm talking about Pool here...

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
From the AZ front page:

"Aslam Sayed Sharik, a young player who redefines methodical, bested both Yevgen Novosad of the Ukraine (9-7) and Chew Ming Tan of Singapore (9-2) in a match that saw Sharik take more than 25 minutes to clear a single rack."

Wow.

shot clock should be implemented !

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Very cool move from Landon. Gotta respect that kind of integrity. That's playing the game as it should be played.