Greats and near greats from Kentucky

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kentucky has long been famous for its bank players--like John Brumback. But it seems like there have always been a lot of good pool players from here. For instance, Billy Burge, Red Jones, and even unknown players--unless you ran into them on the road--like the 1P player Tibs "Goody" Goodpaster.

Rumor is, even though Earl isn't from here, he honed his skills at places like The Green Lantern in Winchester, and Monroe Brock's Maverick Club in Richmond.

Of course, writer Walter Tevis got the material for The Hustler and The Color of Money while living above Toby's old place in Lexington.

It's really no wonder that a lot of good players came from here--every town, no matter how small--seems to have at least one pool room where even 9-year-olds can sometimes run a rack. Mt Sterling, a slightly larger town had six rooms at one time, not counting bars. Ronnie Allen tells an interesting story about playing there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JmT9ftWy0

I've played in the room he's talking about, and swear it still looks like it must have looked in the 50's!

Can you add to the list?

Do you have a good story about playing in Kentucky, or someone from here?

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these guys are from Kentucky
Buddy Hall, Shannon Daulton, Truman Hogue, Butch Baker, Eddie Taylor, Nick Varner.
I'm sure I am forgetting a lot.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Met "Razor Ray" Schultz of Owensboro a couple of times in the mid 1990's, when he was playing on the PBT, the primary American men's tour at the time. Nice guy and a fine player.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall was from Illinois and Eddie Taylor was from Tennessee.

Billy Peay and Vernon Elliot I believe are from Kentucky. These two guys stayed under the radar for most of their life.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Kentucky has long been famous for its bank players--like John Brumback. But it seems like there have always been a lot of good pool players from here. For instance, Billy Burge, Red Jones, and even unknown players--unless you ran into them on the road--like the 1P player Tibs "Goody" Goodpaster.

Rumor is, even though Earl isn't from here, he honed his skills at places like The Green Lantern in Winchester, and Monroe Brock's Maverick Club in Richmond.

Of course, writer Walter Tevis got the material for The Hustler and The Color of Money while living above Toby's old place in Lexington.

It's really no wonder that a lot of good players came from here--every town, no matter how small--seems to have at least one pool room where even 9-year-olds can sometimes run a rack. Mt Sterling, a slightly larger town had six rooms at one time, not counting bars. Ronnie Allen tells an interesting story about playing there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JmT9ftWy0

I've played in the room he's talking about, and swear it still looks like it must have looked in the 50's!

Can you add to the list?

Do you have a good story about playing in Kentucky, or someone from here?

Hey,Ever here of a guy named Marlboro from Irvine,KY.man could that guy play some bankpool! Champion speed player that never ever left his little town.Wonder what ever happened to him.Nice guy to play with also.The locals would sure bet on him too.Your right,just about every small town had a champ or two In them.John B.

John Brumback

Silver Member
BJ's family billiards

Don't forget Bobby Johnson from BJ's In richmond,KY.World class player at just about all games.Bunch of road players left there talking to their self and wondering what had just happened when they got done playing him.In the mid to late 80's you had Earl,Buddy,kieth M and a whole list of champions hanging around there at the time.John B.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's great to be getting replies to this thread! I hope to see more....

I think these guys are from Kentucky
Buddy Hall, Shannon Daulton, Truman Hogue, Butch Baker, Eddie Taylor, Nick Varner.
I'm sure I am forgetting a lot.

I think Butch was from Ohio. Met him once, but was smart enough to not get trapped. *grin*

Hey,Ever here of a guy named Marlboro from Irvine,KY.man could that guy play some bankpool! Champion speed player that never ever left his little town.Wonder what ever happened to him.Nice guy to play with also.The locals would sure bet on him too.Your right,just about every small town had a champ or two In them.John B.

I've heard a lot about Marlboro from some guys we both know, but never met him--just know some folks who played him and didn't like it.

Don't forget Bobby Johnson from BJ's In richmond,KY.World class player at just about all games.Bunch of road players left there talking to their self and wondering what had just happened when they got done playing him.In the mid to late 80's you had Earl,Buddy,kieth M and a whole list of champions hanging around there at the time.John B.

I know a girl from Stanton who got the 8 from Bobby back in the day, and won. She ran three racks at one point.

John, I checked on another of our old buddies--Fox--he's in a home in KY. Another guy and good player you probably know--Mikey Watts--called and found out. Mikey has had it rough this year. He had a stroke.

Anybody here remember High Pockets (Johnny Borders)?

Last edited:

John Brumback

Silver Member
Wc ??

Does anyone remember a man with the name of WC ? I went on my first road trip with him down through TN.He played with an ole Ginacue and had torn the wrap off of It.I remembered It still had the old glue on It.This guy played real good but just stalled around all the time playing real cheap.Just
wondered If anybody knew him.This was back In about 1980 or 81.In Lex,Ky Thanks,John B.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Roberts, of Louisville Ky.

Don't know him. Maybe John does. I do know a couple of good bank players from there--but don't want to knock their action.

Bucky from Kentucky? :smile:

Been a couple of Buckys. Which one?

Pete Glenn was from Kentucky, or at least was based there for many years.

Never heard of him. Please tell us more. *grin*

Does anyone remember a man with the name of WC ? I went on my first road trip with him down through TN.He played with an ole Ginacue and had torn the wrap off of It.I remembered It still had the old glue on It.This guy played real good but just stalled around all the time playing real cheap.Just
wondered If anybody knew him.This was back In about 1980 or 81.In Lex,Ky Thanks,John B.

This is cool. I don't/didn't know WC (Richards? Richardson?) but heard about him from some good players, including one of his protégés. Played in Winchester lots. Another good player from that area died terribly a few years ago--Midget Dare.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Clyde Childress

Last time I spoke to Clyde Childress (God rest him) he was living just
south of Lexington...had a 4x8 in his garage, which was appropriate 'cause
if you played him there...good chance you'd lose your vehicle.

Guy who ran the room in Hopkinsville was known as The Hillbilly.
He had days he could make a road player look for gainful employment.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kentucky

Brian Roberts, of Louisville Ky.

Saw Bryan today as a matter of fact, he put a tip on a cue for me at his place Rack 66. He is still plugging along and playing occasionally.

The "Bucky" referred to earlier I believe was Bucky Bell.

While not from Kentucky (more across the river in southern Indiana) you have Greg Sullivan of Diamond Billiards. Not a half bad one pocket player. He spent a lot of time there and the factory was there for a while before going to Jeffersonville, so that is a toss up.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 60s most pool rooms had one table with only red balls on it. No numbered balls at all. This was the bank table and you would only be allowed to play bank pool on that table. Maybe that is why there were so many good bankers back them. Speaking of banks, Eddie from Paducah plays pretty sporty at banks I do believe. Tom

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WAY BACK - 60's

I am glad to see this thread. Does anyone remember Pig Choates and John Young of Hopkinsville ? I think Buddy Hall would. I just wonder if they are both alive. Pig owned a nice poolroom there and shot real well.=, at least to a 17 yr old Bible salesman. I could tell some stories from my summer there.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I am glad to see this thread. Does anyone remember Pig Choates and John Young of Hopkinsville ? I think Buddy Hall would. I just wonder if they are both alive. Pig owned a nice poolroom there and shot real well.=, at least to a 17 yr old Bible salesman. I could tell some stories from my summer there.

Was one of those guys known as the Hillbilly?...
..I was there in the late 70's