2017 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Pulled out a different cue for once, with a tip on it I don't like, ran a 43 (the usual problem…) followed by a 140. Got too straight and scratched on the break - might say hindsight is always easier than foresight and that I should really have babied the break shot, but then, the table being slow, knocking a ball out, the run may have come to an end either way. As buddy Mikko once observed, as long as I'm occasionally running three digits, I'm still all right for a blind old man… :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Ran a 57 which ended because of no shot after a Breakshot and a 63 which ended because the object ball skidded on me on 3/19/17 the anniversary of Mosconni's 526

Something must of been in the air today because my buddy Blair ran a 127 on a table a few over from me.

-Steve the Commish

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Yup, you're alright, my friend. :)
Pulled out a different cue for once, with a tip on it I don't like, ran a 43 (the usual problem…) followed by a 140. Got too straight and scratched on the break - might say hindsight is always easier than foresight and that I should really have babied the break shot, but then, the table being slow, knocking a ball out, the run may have come to an end either way. As buddy Mikko once observed, as long as I'm occasionally running three digits, I'm still all right for a blind old man… :thumbup:

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Yup, you're alright, my friend. :)

Thank you! :eek: Hope you are well, too! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a 46 in the US Open and a 70 today (Ides of April) in league.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Maybe the third time this year I played straight pool, this time with camera phone rolling. Started the session with 10 innings each starting off with a break shot and I totaled 132 points with a highest run of 29 so I think was nice and consistent there but far away from being spectacular. :) After that I had a 57, looking a bit shaky, stiff and uncomfortable. But I still love playing despite nowadays I get a chance to play way too seldom. Here's the run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCxcUy1_hg

Too bad the number of players on the list are going down every year...

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Maybe the third time this year I played straight pool, this time with camera phone rolling. Started the session with 10 innings each starting off with a break shot and I totaled 132 points with a highest run of 29 so I think was nice and consistent there but far away from being spectacular. :) After that I had a 57, looking a bit shaky, stiff and uncomfortable. But I still love playing despite nowadays I get a chance to play way too seldom. Here's the run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCxcUy1_hg

Too bad the number of players on the list are going down every year...

Nice shooting my friend, good to see you play, smooth stroke is holding up well, great rhythm, even with little practice, one couldn't tell the difference. Balls are opening up reasonably well (way better than the currently do here), table/cloth not as beaten up as in one of your earlier videos?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Thank you! The cloth was changed some time ago so the spread is better. Still have to punch through too many balls, so worn already. And the rail cloth was not changed which make the pockets play super tough especially shooting balls down the rail. Thank you for your kind words, I feel I play quite well despite my few hours on the table but I don't like being uncomfortable with my stroke and stance. Slowly getting there, maybe a 100 for me this decade ;)
Hope you are doing well and shootin 'em straight, my friend!
Nice shooting my friend, good to see you play, smooth stroke is holding up well, great rhythm, even with little practice, one couldn't tell the difference. Balls are opening up reasonably well (way better than the currently do here), table/cloth not as beaten up as in one of your earlier videos?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
High run this year so far

Please put me down for 63 during a short practice. Finally finding some time to get in a practice once in awhile. Thanks.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Please put me down for 63 during a short practice. Finally finding some time to get in a practice once in awhile. Thanks.

Nice! Keep up the great playing, my friend! :thumbup:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I just ran 55 today. I missed breaking out the last cluster by the slimmest margin and had to shoot a combo on my last two balls and missed. My previous high run was 44. I do have the 55 on video, but I probably won't post the vid. I like to remain anonymous on public forums.

The funny thing was, after I finally missed, I really didn't know how many racks that I was on. I thought that I was only on the 3rd rack until I watched the video. That's probably why I didn't miss earlier. LOL

Table: 9-foot Brunswick with Shimmed 4.5 inch pockets.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I just ran 55 today. I missed breaking out the last cluster by the slimmest margin and had to shoot a combo on my last two balls and missed. My previous high run was 44. I do have the 55 on video, but I probably won't post the vid. I like to remain anonymous on public forums.

The funny thing was, after I finally missed, I really didn't know how many racks that I was on. I thought that I was only on the 3rd rack until I watched the video. That's probably why I didn't miss earlier. LOL

Congratulations on beating your record!

On a side note, I use a coin to get counting off my mind, and in tournament play, keep saying to myself I need to get on another break shot (= one after the other, always the same attitude) until I get to the last one, at which point I'll check how many balls I can leave on the table.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ran 105 practicing at home. Everything was clicking on the positive side.

Nice Run! :thumbup:

I don´t really have time to practice right now due work changes.. but I have one night when I hit some 14.1 and run two 70 ball runs back to back..

Also I´ve been fixing our poolhall tables. One more table to do when I have some free time from work. After I got them all done I gonna try get one week 14.1 practice on new cloths.
Dunno when I gotta have that time because I also want to start filming my(own style) instructional series about improving at pool.

P.s My game also little bit slump because all research I have been doing to for teaching pool + other strange stuff I tried.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nice Run! :thumbup:

I don´t really have time to practice right now due work changes.. but I have one night when I hit some 14.1 and run two 70 ball runs back to back..

Also I´ve been fixing our poolhall tables. One more table to do when I have some free time from work. After I got them all done I gonna try get one week 14.1 practice on new cloths.
Dunno when I gotta have that time because I also want to start filming my(own style) instructional series about improving at pool.

P.s My game also little bit slump because all research I have been doing to for teaching pool + other strange stuff I tried.

Very good goals that you have. Thank you for the comment. I will look forward to your videos when they come out. As for me.... Once in a "Blue Moon"... my Hand/Eye coordination comes together and I get a great run. I do not play enough to make it happen often. I am very pleased that I do get good numbers once in a while. As a kid I could never imagine that I could hit those numbers.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Just ran 105 practicing at home. Everything was clicking on the positive side.

Already congratulated on your latest three-digit run elsewhere, happy for you! Keep up the great playing! :thumbup:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

153 in practice this afternoon. Missed a very makable (though not easy as should be) key ball when (again…) the mobile phone rang. Now going to make it a rule to turn it off once I'm into three digits. Having said that, there were a couple of shots earlier that I thought I'd missed but didn't. Getting old and nervous, back pain, feeling weak, sweaty palms, blurry eyes, confused - seriously, can't recommend it to anyone… :rolleyes: