Long Cue Shafts

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although another rubber grip, here is another from Lucasi's Thorsten Hohmann series...but still has that three-piece look to it.

ZdCCaF8l.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you!

I love Irish linen...only on a pool cue...not snooker or 3-cushion cues.
My favorite old Joss, often my hand comes off the wrap....
...I hold it shorter when I’m in.
So Buddy showed me a Blud where the wrap came down to an inch from the butt plate.
I ordered a Jensen the same way...it was perfect.

But as for length.....I’m 6 ft with a 6.3 wingspan....started with a 60 inch cue.
Eventually I settled on 57 inch with a caromish taper...snooker and pool.
...12 mm for pool...10.4 for snooker.

A 57 inch cue hits stronger....you can only accommodate yourself so much....
...you also have to accommodate the cue ball.

At least, that suited me.

Thank you! I have never hit with a cue with a long linen wrap, one reason I have never put one together. I read your comments about overall length with interest too. I am giving the butt of a cue more credit for the hit than I once did after finding out that adding or removing the rubber bumper could vastly affect the hit of a cue.

CadillacJ, appreciate your reply too. I have to admit that I don't care for rubber grips in general, just not what I am used to. Might decide the opposite if I gave them a fair trial but I have only hit a little with one a few times, trying somebody else's cue.

Hu

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same reason as any other difference in a cue or anything else. Balance, weight, how it reacts when you hit a ball, longer cue is easier to reach shots.

I never really liked a longer shaft, but using a mid-cue extention I liked. I tried two 30" shafts, did not really like either of them, they felt less stable during slow spin shots.
Being fairly tall I've mastered the game with 60" Prather cue (equal split). So may be that is why I did not notice my previous 30" solid maple playing shafts were not stable.
Here is the youngest version of me when I played with my first 60" Prather
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQybNUKZ_E&t=25s
Now I'm playing with 62" cue with 31" solid maple ferrule less shaft I've built for myself knowing what exactly I want from my cue. My extra long shaft is pretty stiff. It feels much stiffer than most of production standard length shafts. The reasons are in: what kind of maple it is built of, the construction and of course the taper. There are reasons why I've built 62" cue equal split where the butt is full spliced and the splices are extremely long, the shaft is "certain construction" ferrules less. So between the CB on the tip and my hand at the butt there is the one and only joint connecting the shaft and the butt. I accept only one extension in my cue - butt extension for those shots I cannot reach. Thanks my parents, I meet such shots not really often).
And here is the latest version of me in practice with my current 62" cue
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYKKq_Fk4Fo&t=1s

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) I think that picture might have been a staged photo. I believe the live video of Mosconi from his younger days he was much lower on the cue.

2) Mosconi had a slip stroke, and his back hand slid back on the.cue during his warmup strokes, until it made his forearm much more vertical and closer to what we have today, as compared to this picture.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
1) I think that picture might have been a staged photo. I believe the live video of Mosconi from his younger days he was much lower on the cue.

2) Mosconi had a slip stroke, and his back hand slid back on the.cue during his warmup strokes, until it made his forearm much more vertical and closer to what we have today, as compared to this picture.

Willie’s a little more serious here...

D7CE108C-D8F6-4E48-A533-4D8B9054667E.png

But he’s still in that position that makes slipping needed on certain shots.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure he slip-stroked on the five-railer.

....but the show was no more believable than the Emily Duddy show.

He definitely slip-stroked the five railer.

I had to reread because at first glance I thought you were comparing Emily to Willie.

Jeff

Dustdvl

I've never been asked to build a "long" shaft. I have been asked to build long or short cues though. A standard pool cue is 58", equally divided between butt and shaft, so 29" each. It's fine for most people. The reason to go off spec is a person's height. Taller players benefit from longer cues, shorter players benefit from shorter cues. The reason is to keep that 90 degree elbow. Taller players tend to grip a bit back, shorter players choke up. A properly sized cue eliminates that need.

Short cues have another purpose, playing in a constrained environment with insufficient clearance around the table.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome?

I've never been asked to build a "long" shaft. I have been asked to build long or short cues though. A standard pool cue is 58", equally divided between butt and shaft, so 29" each. It's fine for most people. The reason to go off spec is a person's height. Taller players benefit from longer cues, shorter players benefit from shorter cues. The reason is to keep that 90 degree elbow. Taller players tend to grip a bit back, shorter players choke up. A properly sized cue eliminates that need.

Short cues have another purpose, playing in a constrained environment with insufficient clearance around the table.

I would bid you welcome but that seems silly after you have been here eight years. I'll settle for nice first post!

Hu

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
What are long cue Shafts used for?

I have a 28" reach on each arm without my shoulders so playing with a short cue can be a problem for me. I can reach most shots on a 9' or 10' but I'm pushing a shorter cue very far forward which limits my stroke and follow-through.

My two main playing cues have 29.5" butts (the carom cue is a little shorter), and the shafts vary in length. The shortest shaft, a carom version of the 314-2 is 27" long, my main 314-2 is 29.5" long, as are the original ivory ferruled shafts, and I have an overlength OB-1 at 30".

Different cues and shafts are made for different games. Carom cues are shorter and have a conical taper. My main cue is made for pocket-billiards and as such is a little longer (60") with a pro-taper.

57" cues were the norm for one-piece house-cues, although I think the newer ones are slightly larger at 58". Either one I find harder to use and even though I can adjust I still find them a little awkward.

Attachments

• Cue Lengths.jpg
    Cue Lengths.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 131