Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current owners might throw in the towel, but somebody will take over, be it months or next year.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO owning a Pool Roomin 2020 is tought way to make a buck, and run it in the black. How many roon ov=Winer do you personally know who are making money, not just surviving.

The list is long in Phoenix Arizona Area of all the Pool Bars, Pool Rooms that have closed in the last 10 years. Bottom line is their are less then 10 years ago, not more.

JMHO

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've gotta believe it will.

It's survival of the fittest. If you sit around waiting to get destroyed, you will be.

If the owner has resources, they will survive. Here's what I would do:

I would make sure I have enough credit to get me though to better times.

I would tell the landlord I'm on rent holiday until reopening. Period.

I would use this time to make repairs, remodel, updates, rethink my game plan, rework my menu's and business plan.

I would buy a couple of ball washer's and sanitize the tables and equipment when reopened and I would advertise that fact.

I would contact the SBA and see what loans and grants might be available.

I would pay very careful attention to the fiscal reliefs being provided small businesses though the government packages.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect the ones operating on a lease will get a break on the lease until they can reopen.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
its the slumlords type property owners who wont give them a chance during this time, they have no interst in covid19 or what it does to business and money, and they rather have it closed than let someone not pay even when closed by government rules. I knew this woman in manhattan, she kept an apartment closed in the upper east side for 3 years than give it less than 15K a month in rent. so she forwent couple hundred K in rent money income. who knows how they think. lets hope its not terrible

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
its the slumlords type property owners who wont give them a chance during this time, they have no interst in covid19 or what it does to business and money, and they rather have it closed than let someone not pay even when closed by government rules. I knew this woman in manhattan, she kept an apartment closed in the upper east side for 3 years than give it less than 15K a month in rent. so she forwent couple hundred K in rent money income. who knows how they think. lets hope its not terrible

A lot of states have frozen rent, mortgage, eviction proceedings

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one's that were already struggling could be done for.
The rooms that were thriving will survive if the owners were smart about holding on to some cash.
Either way all of the poolrooms are small business that will see some financial relief with the stimulus package about to be passed.
Another stimulus package will certainly follow.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I would think that during the quarantine that home pool table sales would grow. IDK

Pool will not die off because as soon as the pandemic is over and all the bars reopen (with their 7-ft. Valleys), there will be a resurrection of pool interest leading to the need to establish pool halls once again. JMHO

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The one's that were already struggling could be done for.
The rooms that were thriving will survive if the owners were smart about holding on to some cash.
Either way all of the poolrooms are small business that will see some financial relief with the stimulus package about to be passed.
Another stimulus package will certainly follow.

Philly Cheesesteaks in your avatar??? That's just wrong. :thumbup:

Now I've gotta go rustle me up some grub.

Maniac

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I would contact the SBA and see what loans and grants might be available.

I would pay very careful attention to the fiscal reliefs being provided small businesses though the government packages.

Amen. From what I heard, the 2 trillion stimulus package that is supposed to pass the house vote, today, has specific provisions for small businesses, specifically, through the Small Business Administration (SBA). Typically, the few/main avenues for small business support has been through the SBA, but the stimulus package is supposed to have additional provisions or revisions to how the SBA will support small businesses.

If I owned a poolhall, this would be the next place I contacted (after securing a line of credit thru your bank).

Eric

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i expect pool to take a huge dive
pool was hurting before and will be worse for the near future

the government spending will destroy the dollar and possibly the country

when has even 1 government program worked ?

they went to viet nam and can not explain why to this day
they destroyed education
the prisons do no rehabilitate

for every 3dollars collected for social security one dollar has been paid out in benefits and the program is bankrupt

now they think spending money they don't have will cure things

other than that i would say the economy will recover led by a strong advance from the pool sector

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If everything goes smoothly, there shall be no evictions allowed during this downtime. And as such, most banks will be easing payments for properties affected by the mandated closures.

No the sky is not falling.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Private sector in most cases can do things better then Uncle Sam. Problem with most of the Pool Bars & Pool Rooms in PHX that have closed.

Most of the owner did not understand changing with times, or doing thing to build the business's. Hell speaking of bars, anyone ever watch Bar Rescue. Lots of Nucklehead owners.

What work well in 1950, or 1960, does not work well in 2020. The world is constantly in a state of change.

The younger generation is into video games, my step grandson has an e-sport team at his high school. Gamers, video gaming.

Someone said the strong will survive that was a good observation.

Member ManOne up in Washington State had a nice little Pool Room, made Cues, did repairs, but he also had a Military Pension to help keep thre family fed, and tri-care for life Heath insurance.

Not sure the business is still there, believe he sold it. I know he was marred to two people wife & business.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that...optimistically..
If your room was suffering before this epidemic. Stick in there...there may be opportunities coming to help you.
People will be looking to do recreational activities as soon as this is over. This Opens an opportunity to cultivate new customers.
I suggest to Advertise asap. Family specials...hourly deals. Whatever it takes.

If you are a pool room / bar you will do just fine.

If your a pool room that already had a good following and customer base, you'll be ok.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The 3 rooms I service here in Toledo will be just fine. They all own their buildings and have solid business. Miss Cue North and South are using this time to finish remodeling. Racktime is just awaiting the time to reopen. Leagues will be a bit screwed up, but, I am sure it will all get caught up. People will be excited to be able to get out and shoot!

TFT

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Those with a shaky busi ess model trying to run it like its 1968 will likely die but if they were a solid business with food, bar and marketing they should come back just like any other sound entertainment venue.

Sent from the future.