T-Rex vs Robocop Big Money One Pocket Action Rubber Match

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And the problem with this is.... Tony ALWAYS responds to this sort of heat by getting more aggressive. But Orcollo isn't gonna give him a million shots, which pretty much means Tony is destined to shoot up in the air for the rest of the match.

Orcollo's One Pocket game has grown, and he pretty much does everything better, more precise, than Tony. The difference between the two, i.e. Tony's "trick shots", are not enough to overcome a multiple game deficit.

Does DO move ( defensively ) better than Tony now ?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Does DO move ( defensively ) better than Tony now ?

Well, looking at it from a 10,000 foot view... it's not as if Tony "can't" move tight..... It's that he doesn't necessarily want to. He wants to shoot, and will leave a little air on the cue ball if it allows him to shoot for the pocket, versus 6 inches to the left of the pocket, for example.

Dennis, on the other hand, is in this for the money, pure and simple. I don't think Dennis has any great love for One Pocket.. He is mostly in love with the money it brings. Dennis is more likely to opt to freeze Chohan on a ball, and if the OB goes a little long, and sits on the top rail, no biggie.

Looking back, it always seems to me that Chohan only ever learned the One Pocket moves in order to get himself to the next shooting opportunity. The problem is... Tony is a supremely talented player... With high shortstop-level fundamentals, not more.

Which necessarily limits his effectiveness on his moving. When you are 6-7 feet away from contact, and need to get a frozen ball on a crossover safe.... Fundamentals are key. They carry over into all parts of all games. It is very, very, VERY rare for one person with significantly better fundamentals, to lose any game to a player with lesser fundamentals.. Any knowledge advantage wears off very quickly, and if the player with lesser fundamentals can't finish off the other player quickly, they likely lose.

And here's the thing about fundamentals... They break down if they are not the sole focus, and heat is applied. And that's the difference between Orcollo and Chohan. Chohan likes to shoot, but he doesn't like to practice. Orcollo is a practice machine.

So, my short answer to your question is... I believe that Orcollo executes EVERYTHING better than Chohan. In a difficult layout... Orcollo will get a ball or two more.. He'll get a hair closer to the blocking ball on most safes... The "loosey goosey" nature of both Chohan's and Scott Frost's stroke betrays them under pressure.

What say you, SJM?

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well chit man... I guess there's no point in even playing. Loosey Goosey Toney has no chance. He might as well pay this bet off, so that we can all move on to something else.

(some one needs to code up a "jack-off" emoji...i would have used it here.)

Well, looking at it from a 10,000 foot view... it's not as if Tony "can't" move tight..... It's that he doesn't necessarily want to. He wants to shoot, and will leave a little air on the cue ball if it allows him to shoot for the pocket, versus 6 inches to the left of the pocket, for example.

Dennis, on the other hand, is in this for the money, pure and simple. I don't think Dennis has any great love for One Pocket.. He is mostly in love with the money it brings. Dennis is more likely to opt to freeze Chohan on a ball, and if the OB goes a little long, and sits on the top rail, no biggie.

Looking back, it always seems to me that Chohan only ever learned the One Pocket moves in order to get himself to the next shooting opportunity. The problem is... Tony is a supremely talented player... With high shortstop-level fundamentals, not more.

Which necessarily limits his effectiveness on his moving. When you are 6-7 feet away from contact, and need to get a frozen ball on a crossover safe.... Fundamentals are key. They carry over into all parts of all games. It is very, very, VERY rare for one person with significantly better fundamentals, to lose any game to a player with lesser fundamentals.. Any knowledge advantage wears off very quickly, and if the player with lesser fundamentals can't finish off the other player quickly, they likely lose.

And here's the thing about fundamentals... They break down if they are not the sole focus, and heat is applied. And that's the difference between Orcollo and Chohan. Chohan likes to shoot, but he doesn't like to practice. Orcollo is a practice machine.

So, my short answer to your question is... I believe that Orcollo executes EVERYTHING better than Chohan. In a difficult layout... Orcollo will get a ball or two more.. He'll get a hair closer to the blocking ball on most safes... The "loosey goosey" nature of both Chohan's and Scott Frost's stroke betrays them under pressure.

What say you, SJM?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

What say you, SJM?

Excellent analysis here. I tend to agree for the most part but disagree in certain areas. This match is not over by any means. Tony is very resilient and can reinvent himself on a daily basis. I look for day two to be more like 10-9 one way or the other.

Dennis does not dislike One Pocket. He loves it! In fact he loves all pool games since they have afforded him a good quality of life. Imo the Pinoys are particularly well suited for One Pocket thanks to their background in Rotation. They have learned to play the pack in very creative ways that lend itself to One Pocket. This carries over to almost all their shot making and how they conceptualize the outcome of each shot.

I do agree that DO's work ethic (long hours of practice daily) has honed his pool skills to a point where his control is near perfect. SJM once pointed out to me how well the top Pinoy players control both the cue ball and the object ball(s). Better than all but a handful of other players. In essence they are often playing two way shots in strategic games like One Pocket.

Just like in the first two matches, I look for this one to come down to who plays the best on day four. This match is not a sprint. It's an endurance contest both.mentally and physically!

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can guarantee you that Tony is a bit worried.

Sure, there is a long ways to go in the race but, at their level, trying to make up a four game deficit is exactly like trying to improve your game after reaching top-tier status.

Tony has allowed himself to get between a rock and a hard place.

I've seen both come back in similar situations but, it wasn't against each other. Its gonna be interesting.

Jeff

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Live play will resume Today Friday at 4pm central for Day #2

Day #1 replay will loop continuously until about an hour before live play resumes Today

Copy of Football Flyer Template (2) EDIT.jpg

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said Joey!

Like Joey said "Who said this was over, yesterday"?

Go Tony go!