12.5mm to 12mm tip question.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
What adjustments do you have to make going from a 12.5 to a 12mm tip?
I think it would depend largely on how the tips are shaped and still have very little impact until you are putting an extreme amount of english on the ball. If both are dressed to the same radius, it shouldn't require an adjustment at all on an ordinary shot.

As frequent visitors here might expect, our Dr. Dave has given this some thought.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue-tip/size-and-shape/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never made any adjustments, i like smaller for close shots
but my poor stroke tends to miss the aiming point on the cue ball and i miss longer shots

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What adjustments do you have to make going from a 12.5 to a 12mm tip?

I play with a 12mm...dime shape...if I play the spot shot with high inside english...
...I aim like it’s a 314.
If I use a 12.5 mm, I have to aim thicker....my friend has one...so no guesses here.

But that’s me...your mileage may vary

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 10.5-13mm tips that I use regularly w/ dime radius (more nickel-like for the 9.5- & 10.5mm tips).

To be honest, I don't find a huge difference in the feel in the 11.75-13mm range.

Perfect example is going from my 12.5mm WX700 & EX-Pro to my conical tapered 12mm WX900...not huge difference in feel to me personally.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 10.5-13mm tips that I use regularly w/ dime radius (more nickel-like for the 9.5- & 10.5mm tips).

To be honest, I don't find a huge difference in the feel in the 11.75-13mm range.

Perfect example is going from my 12.5mm WX700 & EX-Pro to my conical tapered 12mm WX900...not huge difference in feel to me personally.

I have the 30” WX900 with the 12mm and was thinking of ordering the 30” WX700 12.5mm but we not sure under what circumstances I would use the 12mm over the 12.5mm. Do you have a preference or circumstance where you might have a preference?

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the 30” WX900 with the 12mm and was thinking of ordering the 30” WX700 12.5mm but we not sure under what circumstances I would use the 12mm over the 12.5mm. Do you have a preference or circumstance where you might have a preference?

There is a difference in deflection and a bit of feel between the tapers, but my preference is for the WX900 yet many others prefer the pro-tapered WX700. You can't go wrong with either one really, I like them both.

Would love a 30" WX900 w/ Wavy joint...what joint do you have, and is yours new or used? Hit me up if you think of selling.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me the thinner shafts dont feel as good as the thicker ones
Otherwise it doesnt matter

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the thinner shafts dont feel as good as the thicker ones
Otherwise it doesnt matter

In a closed bridge, I agree 100% that the 12.5-13mm fits my longer fingers better. With an open bridge it doesn't matter as much, although I prefer thinner shaft feel w/ open bridge.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference in deflection and a bit of feel between the tapers, but my preference is for the WX900 yet many others prefer the pro-tapered WX700. You can't go wrong with either one really, I like them both.

Would love a 30" WX900 w/ Wavy joint...what joint do you have, and is yours new or used? Hit me up if you think of selling.

Brand new. Not foe sale.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the most part, 12mm shaft was the original LD shaft. Of course, that’s just my opinion. I have a 12.1 mm shaft and I have it because, it was my original LD shaft. I have since moved on, about 15-20 years ago, to a 314.

I don’t believe there is any magic feel or great ability to spin a ball due to the 12mm shaft, but I do think a think maple shaft gives some of that great feel/feedback that is lost with most LD shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums