Quick question about a scenario

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, is there a standard rule (for the most part) or does this seem like something that has to be discussed pre-match?

In a 9 ball game where a ball is part of the spot/handicap lets say you're giving the 7 :)grin-square:), your opponent sees an opportunity to make the hanging 7 ball while shooting at the 6 ball, they then fluke the 6 ball in another pocket other than the one initially intended but also fails to make the 7 ball. Do they lose their turn or gets to continue shooting?

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Ok, is there a standard rule (for the most part) or does this seem like something that has to be discussed pre-match?

In a 9 ball game where a ball is part of the spot/handicap lets say you're giving the 7 :)grin-square:), your opponent sees an opportunity to make the hanging 7 ball while shooting at the 6 ball, they then fluke the 6 ball in another pocket other than the one initially intended but also fails to make the 7 ball. Do they lose their turn or gets to continue shooting?

They would continue shooting, very rarely have I ever seen call pocket nine ball.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nine ball is not a call pocket game, unless you've specified before hand.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that the general rule of 9 ball is not "call pocket" and sometimes "calling the 9' and "wild 9" is established beforehand but in this scenario it's a persons money ball. Could there be some fine print in there where like "oh you didn't make the called ball" could be draft up? Think of it like this, it's a call the 9 game, player shoots at X ball and in the chaos the 9 goes in, clearly it gets spotted but who's turn is it?
Now I'm slightly playing dumb here just to see that there's a mutual consensus.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
then fluke the 6 ball in another pocket other than the one initially intended but also fails to make the 7 ball. Do they lose their turn or gets to continue shooting?

the 6 ball never needed to be called, in any situation, so as everyone has already said, shooter continues...…(IMHO)

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that the general rule of 9 ball is not "call pocket" and sometimes "calling the 9' and "wild 9" is established beforehand but in this scenario it's a persons money ball. Could there be some fine print in there where like "oh you didn't make the called ball" could be draft up? Think of it like this, it's a call the 9 game, player shoots at X ball and in the chaos the 9 goes in, clearly it gets spotted but who's turn is it?

The way I've seen this played is if you are calling the 9-ball and it goes in the wrong pocket it spots. If it is the only ball made on that shot the other player shoots from where the cue ball lies. If another ball is made on the same shot as the incorrectly called 9-ball the player making the 9-ball continues to shoot after the 9-ball is spotted.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that the general rule of 9 ball is not "call pocket" and sometimes "calling the 9' and "wild 9" is established beforehand but in this scenario it's a persons money ball. .....

Remember the line from Tropic Thunder?
"Never go full retard".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You don't specify whether the winning 7 is "wild" or "called". That has to be specified before the game starts.

If a winning ball is "wild" you further need to make sure whether it counts on the break.

If a winning ball is "called", then you need to specify what happens if you call it but something else goes in instead. You also need to decide whether it is spotted if made in an uncalled pocket by the spottee.

I think there is no absolutely standard set of rules for spotted balls at nine ball.

It's easier to spot games on the wire and have both players use the same (standard) rules, but sometimes the fish won't bite for that.:wink:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To further complicate this, the scenario you described you are the player getting the 7 ball, and your opponent made the 7.

In the Philly area where I'm from we usually played: call the spotted money ball only, 9 is wild for both players, and money ball spots on the break if made by either player, and if made by the spotted player it spots and he does not win. We almost never, ever, played wild spotted money ball.

Now, when playing this way, every ball is wild, except the spotted money ball. If you are the player getting the spot, shit in your money ball (and no other ball), you keep shooting, but you don't win, and your money ball stays down.

If you are the player giving the spot, you don't call ANY ball at any time. So if you have a chance to shit in your opponents money ball, by all means go for it if you want. You just increased your odds of winning by taking the spotted ball off the table. Under no circumstance is this called.

I moved to Atlanta 10 years ago, and now go to Philly for Xmas vacation. My last trip up, it was all new players. And they all play call every shot in 9 ball. I wanted to strangle them all. The game makes zero sense that way, especially when giving or getting spots. Its fukking stupid. End rant.

In contrast, playing in Atlanta, EVERTHING is wild in 9 ball, even the spotted money ball, and even on the break it counts as a win.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to those of you who chimed in confirming what I thought was the standard.
And those of you who saw it fit to comment with no actual valid input even going as far as to say that I was the one getting the spot when I specifically said that it was being given well although fun comments are just that "fun at times" you manage to show the down side of the forum so congrats to you on that one.
That's pretty much it guys, thanks again, I'll be sharing this with my the individual who fell victim to the latter

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a pretty common scenario, odd that the player knew enough about playing with a spot but not how the general rules of 9 balls are. I am guessing the opponent was trying to weasel out of having the guy keep shooting LOL

I run a weekly tournament with a called 9 rule. No other ball is called. I've never seen any other ball called (unless you actually state you are playing called pocket), even if you fail to make a money ball that has to be called. Any ball you make should count, except the money ball. If a player in my event makes the 9 in the wrong pocket, and it's the only ball they made, they loose their turn. If they crap in any ball during any shot, they keep shooting no matter what happens with that money ball, they either win if it's made, or keep shooting if it's not.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called balls are quite common in matching up. Call 8, call 7, etc. Its not that big a deal but sometimes it will get a guy out of his chair.