who have you played

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just you, Chris. This thread has great value. I'm always looking to learn more about various players and about the game's history, and the posts in this thread will help me with determining from whom I can learn more about specific players.

The one negative is that by telling others about who we've played, some of us, like me, are showing our age!

LOL.
I played Mosconi an exhibition in 1964.
Does that make me an old fart?
Oops, I guess my avatar gave that away.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played these well known guys...James Walden,Norman Hitchcock,Jr Norris,Gabe Owen and Verl Horn.Played a couple of Reds,Cornbread and Jersey and some guy named Chip.I lost to all of them except Norman. I did win an easy c-note off of Jersey Red when I bet him he would not make it thru our match without swearing.Might not have been much fun at times but it was an education.
Ronnie Allen, Preacher Red,Al Winchenbaugh. I teamed up with Fach against Nick Spanos and the owner of Gary's Billiards (we won).
What did you think of Hitchcock? I saw him at the Stardust Open years ago.
I forgot Tugboat Whaley at an exhibition. He looked to be about 80 yrs.old, but could he play!

Last edited:

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane McMinn
Conway, Jr.
Gary Spaeth
Shawn Putnam
Josh Roberts
Mark Jarvis
SVB
Dennis Orcullo
Jason Miller
Justin Bergman
Andy Quinn
Chang Jung Lin

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two best players I have played (if you want to call it that) Jim Rempe and Dave Daya (both back in the late 90's)

Didn't stand a chance with either of those, but it was fun and a good learning experience.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just you, Chris. This thread has great value. I'm always looking to learn more about various players and about the game's history, and the posts in this thread will help me with determining from whom I can learn more about specific players.

The one negative is that by telling others about who we've played, some of us, like me, are showing our age!

I don't believe anyone is bragging. I look at some of it as learning, while at the same time acquiring battle scars.

I'm sure there are several of us that have stood toe-to-toe with some great players at least once and lived to tell about it.

Also, there are some beast among us today. Not all are dead and gone....or even old for that matter.

First time I played casper....I underestimated him due to him looking like he was 14 years old (not sure how old he was). Rascally kid almost beat me....he has much improved since then I'm sure. That was in 2017.

Jeff

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

:lol: You are a perfect age IMO.

Dave <-- a '58 baby who has played World Champion Cliff Thorburn in an exhibition game and Canadian Champion Darryl Wouters too many times :thumbup:

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who else did I play

I almost forgot a great weekend at MaGoos in Tulsa.I played a few games with Hopkins,the Miz and Effren. I did not impress any of them although Mr Reyes laughed at the way I butchered tagolag.I t was to many years since I had been to Clark AB.I played in a ring game there with Cuemakers Stroud Scruggs and Blud...who knew these fellas can play.Of all the players I mentioned Jr Norris,Verl and Hitchcock stand out as guiet unassuming nice guys that could take all your $ and let you enjoy it while they did it.:smile:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh there are beast out there today

i used to play anybody with a spot

today if you ask me how i would play
scott or tony or alex,i would be afraid to play

20 to 3 would be a tough game
people i can beat say oh no 8 to 4

little do they know

these guys play great

JJ,chip, joey

it is even worse if you talk 9 ball

there is no reasonable way to match up if they ever
get to break

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Did anyone around here play Danny basavich back in the day?

I read that book about him and he seemed like someone who could catch a serious gear, but there were some inconsistencies that made me wonder. And one part claimed he won 80 straight racks against a guy named “Cheyanne” Pete Trujillo.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much shorter list than anyone here, mostly players who either came from or passed through DC BITD. Most of them I only played in tournaments, but a few of them I did gamble with, most of them of course with weight.

Geese (many times, greatest one barrel shot artist ever)
Gump (Steve Gumphrey, many times, with big spots)
Tom-Tom (Tom Wirth, many times, but only 9 ball)
Frisco Jack (at Beanie's in Virginia)
Lefty Joe (great DC player BITD)
Denny Searcy (at the Palace in San Francisco and one other place out there)
George Michaels (at 79th & Exchange on Chicago's South Side, when he was in the Army)
Earthquake (many times at weekly tournaments in Rockville, MD)
Mike Davis (ditto)
Max Eberle (ditto)
Manny Chau (ditto)
Brandon Shuff (ditto)
Leonardo Andam
Shaun Wilkie
Charlie Williams (with a huge spot)
Buddy Dennis

Of all those, the best I ever saw were Denny Searcy, Steve Gumphrey, and of course Keith "Earthquake" McCready. (Only played Andam once, in a local tournament, and his mind was elsewhere.)

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you really play Pat Morita? Everybody glossed over that. Tell us the story! Did he chalk a chopstick?

I don't know the exact date but it was right after one of the Alomar brothers from the Baltimore Orioles spit on Hersfield the ref over a disputed play.

We were staying in the Sheraton Inner Harbor. I had met the manager when she visited the Outer Banks a couple months earlier and planted the bug about watching a game and staying there.

We went to the bar the first night after the game and a few players were there. The manager told us that Pat Morita had been there but left already. I can't remember all the questions I asked but she said he was in town for a Natural Foods Expo in the hotel and he has been playing nightly and has his own pool stick.

We go the 2nd night and we are getting ready to leave when I look down the hallway and see a very short fellow carrying a case. It had to be him. I quickly gave my wife a $10 and tell her to get all quarters.

We lined them up on the table and I waited for him to almost finish his 1st gold drink. I approached I invited him for a game for which he said he would be over in a minute.

A couple of moments later he came over and we introduced ourselves and we started playing. We played 1x1, and doubles with our wives. Every time he needed a drink, we bought whatever it was and every time we needed a beer, he was buying that for us.

He was good pool player. I don't play league but I would say a high B player but it was obvious that he wasn't taking it too serious either.

We played for at least 2.5 hours and other people we standing and watching but they didn't approach us. We were all getting ready to leave when Pat asked us if we wanted a picture or something and we said we didn't want to put him through the trouble. The manager sent someone for a Polaroid camera lol, and was told the cleaning crew had it and were taking pics of damages.

The manager picked up both of our tabs. I never found out what the gold stuff was. We played and talked and laughed. He lit a cigarette which surprised me for some reason. We never mentioned Hollywood or Happy Days and neither did he. It was just a good time with a really nice guy

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a great story and I'm sure a good memory. Everything I have read about him says he was a very funny guy and very genuine.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky player

Jimmy Hodges with the last 3, and won/Joe Dan Bilyeu/lost, and Hoot Owl.
All 3 of them played as good as anybody in their time.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Matlock was really a great player
I believe he comes close to being what people
imagine a money player to be

he went up against anyone willing to play. Stayed in
constant action,played at the very top level
bar pool. Had stakehorses that constantly and consistently made money.

And he played so very good and high and often

My impression was that wherever he went ,he played.

He wasn't a Nick varner ,but he was and still may be great.

What was his stake horse name?

FRDennis

Registered
Mike Dechaine
Rob Saez
Alex Pagulayan
Francisco Bustamante
Shaun Wilkie
Kid Delicious Danny Basavich
Tom D'Alfonso
Nelson Oliveira
Carlos Viera