OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Matlock was really a great player
I believe he comes close to being what people
imagine a money player to be

he went up against anyone willing to play. Stayed in
constant action,played at the very top level
bar pool. Had stakehorses that constantly and consistently made money.

And he played so very good and high and often

My impression was that wherever he went ,he played.

He wasn't a Nick varner ,but he was and still may be great.

What was his stake horse name?
Might've changed depending on the era but you're probably thinking of Bill Duggan.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I were to attempt to name all the players I refereed for it would take many pages on here. I would estimate that I've played a few hundred real pool players (hustlers, road men, tournament players, etc.) In my lifetime, from Willie and Fats to Ronnie, Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Brooklyn Johnny, Irish, Buddy and Earl, Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson, Billy Incardona, Lisciotti and Marino, to Keith and Louie, and on and on I could go but I won't.

A few celebs I have met and played pool with include Warren Beatty (on the set of Dick Tracy), Tom Cruise (just showed him a few shots at Q-Masters when he and Scorsece were scouting the U.S. Open), Jerry Buss (the owner of the Lakers in my poolroom at Hollywood Park), Keifer Sutherland (9-Ball for 20 a game at the Hollywood Athletic Club), John Stamos (on the set of his TV show Loving), Don Johnson, Telly Savalas and Jimmy Caan at Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood (for $), Dennis Miller the comdian (I shot the opening shot on his late night TV show), Paul Pierce the basketball player and Donny Osmond at the same charity event. I'm probably forgetting a few, like Joe Rogan and a couple of other Hollywood types.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If I were to attempt to name all the players I refereed for it would take many pages on here. I would estimate that I've played a few hundred real pool players (hustlers, road men, tournament players, etc.) In my lifetime, from Willie and Fats to Ronnie, Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Brooklyn Johnny, Irish, Buddy and Earl, Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson, Billy Incardona, Lisciotti and Marino, to Keith and Louie, and on and on I could go but I won't.

A few celebs I have met and played pool with include Warren Beatty (on the set of Dick Tracy), Tom Cruise (just showed him a few shots at Q-Masters when he and Scorsece were scouting the U.S. Open), Jerry Buss (the owner of the Lakers in my poolroom at Hollywood Park), Keifer Sutherland (9-Ball for 20 a game at the Hollywood Athletic Club), John Stamos (on the set of his TV show Loving), Don Johnson, Telly Savalas and Jimmy Caan at Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood (for $), Dennis Miller the comdian (I shot the opening shot on his late night TV show), Paul Pierce the basketball player and Donny Osmond at the same charity event. I'm probably forgetting a few, like Joe Rogan and a couple of other Hollywood types.

I've met many more celebs than I've played pool with, but I did play Jimmy Smits some 8-ball at House of Billiards in Santa Monica. He was terrible at pool, but a nice guy.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Dugan , that sounds right

I never played Dugan or Matlock,but I did win a pile from dugan
in an all night heads up poker game. i threw in with a fellow named James Dunn
and slept through the match only to wake up winner.

I got a lecture from the kibiters becuse if I had watched,I might have learned something.

I didn't have an excuse for my loss of opportunity so I just grinned and explained that I nodded off.

Is Dugan still with us,I haven't heard his name since then?

Jay could tell us some good stories if he had a mind to. He is quite a player and a bit of a character too.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who have I played?

I have been thumped by Silver Ochoa, James Davis Sr,James Davis Jr..Little Al Mason, David Henson and a host of other shortstop and up players at local tournies and at The old Fast Eddies' Tour events in the Austin Area/Central TX area. That was some time ago however as I have been on a pool vacation for some time now.:)

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I played George san souci in a tournament once. I broke the opening rack and I missed a kick from a safety. race to 11, that's all I shot. IT WAS AWSOME!!!!

OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Dugan , that sounds right

I never played Dugan or Matlock,but I did win a pile from dugan
in an all night heads up poker game. i threw in with a fellow named James Dunn
and slept through the match only to wake up winner.

I got a lecture from the kibiters becuse if I had watched,I might have learned something.

I didn't have an excuse for my loss of opportunity so I just grinned and explained that I nodded off.

Is Dugan still with us,I haven't heard his name since then?

Jay could tell us some good stories if he had a mind to. He is quite a player and a bit of a character too.
Bill passed away in 2018 at age 89. He was certainly a character and was definitely not afraid to bet.
https://www.garykelleyafs.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2118069