"twenty years from now, you'll be looking for a wooden shaft like a hen's tooth"

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Referring to the well spoken, well groomed and well dressed president of Predator as "the cartel looking dude" is as well.

I was only quoting a previous poster myself with that description.

When I first saw him, I thought he looked like a Latino rapper or something similar to Pitbull. :grin:

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK boomer. lol
I have no clue what that means. If those old cues are so great how come NO top players use them? They look cool and that's it. They play fine but not any better than a good $250-300 cue you can buy now. I'd take a 400-500buck Mezz any day of the week.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
CF Shafts

Almost everyone in my 8-Ball Pool League is playing with one of these shafts now. Low Deflection shafts were originally designed for (9 ball mostly) players who travel the cue ball large distances with a lot of spin. Seems to me that only about 5% of the players I know who use these shafts actually need the properties they offer, and they are very expensive. I play 14.1 and 8-Ball, so low deflection is rarely an issue for my game. I have tried Predator, Cuetec , etc and they feel kind of lifeless to me with little feedback.

-dj

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
feedback

Almost everyone in my 8-Ball Pool League is playing with one of these shafts now. Low Deflection shafts were originally designed for (9 ball mostly) players who travel the cue ball large distances with a lot of spin. Seems to me that only about 5% of the players I know who use these shafts actually need the properties they offer, and they are very expensive. I play 14.1 and 8-Ball, so low deflection is rarely an issue for my game. I have tried Predator, Cuetec , etc and they feel kind of lifeless to me with little feedback.

-dj

I have shot with an 11.8mm REVO that a friend got his hands on somehow. I expected it to pocket balls well and feel like crap hitting with it. Much to my surprise it has a midrange hit, not dead or too pingy. That thing is a ton easier to shoot with than my flat laminate maple shaft and feels every bit as good. Of course everyone's idea of hit is subjective but I think when you find the CF shaft that suits you, you will be pleasantly surprised. I certainly was. Now all I have to do is figure out how to steal that shaft!

Hu

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If I'm even still breathing in 20 years, I'll then be 96 years old. I doubt shaft composition will be a concern to me.

Thinking about it, it really isn't a concern now. I'm strictly a recreational player. I'm out for fun, not blood. Will stick with wood, thank you.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The only advantage I see is less risk of warping.

Bingo you might be right, and respecting good wood shaft, they will not warp. I am in hot dry AZ with low RH, you have to protect Cue in the extreme heat.

I am not stopping for an hour to shop & leaving my Cue case in the car when it 120 DEGREES. That would be asking for warpage.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I have only ever hit with one cf shaft, a Revo on a P3 butt at the Open last year, it was nice and felt ok but all I wanted was my cue stick. Older Joss butt with 314z shaft. Why? Because that's what I am used to and comfortable with.

It's a hard question to answer to the OP, but in my opinion, wood shafts will never go away.

Do y'all remember the triangle shaped wood shafts? Glad those didn't last long LOL

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I have no clue what that means. If those old cues are so great how come NO top players use them? They look cool and that's it. They play fine but not any better than a good $250-300 cue you can buy now. I'd take a 400-500buck Mezz any day of the week.

top players are sponsored that's why dummy. and I know several A and open players who use them. two guys I play with occasionally both have a titlist conversion by tascarella and another by Michael morgan. most guys who own one use it as their main player. wonder why. they must be shit and mezz is clearly superior. bc someone else said it is ofcourse, you didn't actually come to that conclusion on your own bc a broomstick feels the same to you. lol.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t answer the question for sure. As far as I go, my interest in getting a cf shaft has only to due with no warping, no dings and less maintenance. The playability has nothing to do with my interest.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
another major advantage

The only advantage I see is less risk of warping.

What I see as another major advantage is consistency. Buy two of the same CF shaft and the hit should be very very close to the same. Wood, not so much. One reason for the spliced wooden shafts was to use up all of the low quality shaft blanks.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
top players are sponsored that's why dummy. and I know several A and open players who use them. two guys I play with occasionally both have a titlist conversion by tascarella and another by Michael morgan. most guys who own one use it as their main player. wonder why. they must be shit and mezz is clearly superior. bc someone else said it is ofcourse, you didn't actually come to that conclusion on your own bc a broomstick feels the same to you. lol.
No need to get personal and i'm no dummy. Keep drinkin' that classic cue kool-aid.