do you use talcum powder?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a big bottle of Silver cup that I hid eight years ago. My home table looked splotched green from over use. A vacuum? Forget about it. I got my GC and buried the talcum. This post reminds me to go dig it out, it hits the garbage this afternoon.

No powder, use a glove. No glove? Tough shit. Go play someplace else.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fyi, johnson and johnson will no longer be selling the stuff here (north america)
due to glut of lawsuits alleging that j&j powder use can cause cancer
google it to find your favorite news outlet reporting

with the glove out there, and "in my case," hand sanitizer
does anybody still use talc?
No. My 'hall doesn't allow it anyway.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
No thanks.

Nothing beats a clean dry bridge hand and a clean dry shaft.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our pool room does not allow powder in the room period....It made to much of a mess on the cloth, the tables the floor and every day they spent hours cleaning it up.So none allowed..

Smart pool room. All talc does is dirty up the tables and the rails. And anyway, since the glove and the graphite shaft came along, it's become totally unnecessary. With a Revo shaft the only time I'd need a glove would be in the middle of the Summer with no working A/C.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used it myself. I use a closed bridge about half the time and my skin formed callouses there - no sweat at all even during warm and humid conditions.
Same as to the calloused hands not needing it much.
However, when I use it, it has mostly been on the butt to avoid that sticky feeling.
I try to allow the grip to slip back and forth a bit.
This has helped me quit the “death-grip” we all start out with.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
The structure of talc is chemically similar to asbestos, and it is also found in the ground where talc is mined. In the 70s when they realized it was harmful, J&J worked to remove it (it was minor trace amounts). In testing, there has been no asbestos in the baby powder since the early 80s.

Now that said, judges are finding in favor of people (mostly women) who say they used it in their underwear, and it caused their ovarian cancer.

Possible? Possibly. Likely? No. Even the American Cancer Society says there is little to no chance of it being the cause.

But its a multi-billion dollar corporation versus the little guys.

If you go back, a lot of the settlements, if not most have been reversed after the initial rulings. But the reversals dont make headlines like the original, "Granny from Omaha awarded 100 million dollars because the big bad company gave her cancer."

Good post.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I take 3 strokes of the cue stick on a cube of talc once a week (or so). So far this cube of talc has lasted 9 years and looks to last the rest of my life.

So, in a technical parlance I do use talc, but I use so little that there is no practical way of measuring how little I use.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm retired but If I'm wearing jeans and helping a friend building a deck or framing an addition in the Alabama summertime, I may get some talc to dust up under my fellas a time or 2, cornstarch works better though.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always use Johnson powder, I’m so used to it, friends offered trying gloves but I didn’t like it and went back to using powder.

Now this thread made me a little bit concern and worried, should I change my habits? Or is it all a myth, also what are my other options if I dislike gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will _NOT_ miss talcum powder.

As far as moist hands, well, it probably sucks to have them but on the other side of the coin moist hands are less prone to flaking. I do feel extremely moist hands are far, far better than people with extremely dry hands due to fungi which create painful crevices and sometimes extreme flaking.

... what are my other options if I dislike gloves?

Rosin bags and corn starch is popular, but please don't use them if you're on a public table. Besides just the look of it, they also increase flaking of the skin, so it's kind of nasty all around.

Have you tried other materials for gloves? There's plenty of materials to try. For me in particular, it wasn't so much that I minded wearing a glove, it was that I didn't like the feel of the material. The resistance was better, but it felt too smooth. For instance I started playing around with some old suede and it felt better (although it increases friction).

All that said, the reason I want a carbon fiber shaft is because I don't want to wear a glove, that's honestly the #1 reason. Carbon fiber shafts feel really good without a glove, I like them much better (or maybe I'm telling myself that because I don't want to wear a glove :-/).

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fyi, johnson and johnson will no longer be selling the stuff here (north america)
due to glut of lawsuits alleging that j&j powder use can cause cancer
google it to find your favorite news outlet reporting

with the glove out there, and "in my case," hand sanitizer

Long as you keep the powder out of your vagina, you should be fine.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will _NOT_ miss talcum powder.

As far as moist hands, well, it probably sucks to have them but on the other side of the coin moist hands are less prone to flaking. I do feel extremely moist hands are far, far better than people with extremely dry hands due to fungi which create painful crevices and sometimes extreme flaking.

All that said, the reason I want a carbon fiber shaft is because I don't want to wear a glove, that's honestly the #1 reason. Carbon fiber shafts feel really good without a glove, I like them much better (or maybe I'm telling myself that because I don't want to wear a glove :-/).

I swear this forums driving me insane, you say that the #1 reason for using CF shaft is that it felt good without a glove? And I keep hearing the exact opposite, that with a CF you must and I mean must use a glove, also that you can’t use powder with a CF shaft.

Actually if you watch online, all pros who use CF shaft are also using gloves 100%, check that out.

So I’m curious to know which brand of CF you’re using that it’s too smooth to the skin? I know with Revo you must use a glove honestly most people say this.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear this forums driving me insane, you say that the #1 reason for using CF shaft is that it felt good without a glove? And I keep hearing the exact opposite, that with a CF you must and I mean must use a glove, also that you can’t use powder with a CF shaft.

Actually if you watch online, all pros who use CF shaft are also using gloves 100%, check that out.

So I’m curious to know which brand of CF you’re using that it’s too smooth to the skin? I know with Revo you must use a glove honestly most people say this.

Not sure why its driving you insane. This is not a lab full of scientists giving you data compiled from controlled experiments. This is a forum where pool players give their opinions, right or wrong. Different people have different experiences. :thumbup:

That said, I have played with Predator cf shafts, and own 2 cuetec cf shafts. I dont wear gloves with any of them. The do need to be cleaned/wiped down more often, as crud seems to adhere to them easier than a wood shaft.

I grew up in Kentucky, and in the summers it was pretty much 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for most of July and August each year. The months on either end of those werent great either. We used talc, and used it properly. The tables had no powder on them. Nobody complained about chalk on tables, cause there was no chalk on the tables. Even the casual players knew how to use the cones of talc without it making a mess.

That said, I still carry a talc bag in my case for places I go into where the air is damp and or sticky.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why its driving you insane. This is not a lab full of scientists giving you data compiled from controlled experiments. This is a forum where pool players give their opinions, right or wrong. Different people have different experiences. :thumbup:

That said, I have played with Predator cf shafts, and own 2 cuetec cf shafts. I dont wear gloves with any of them. The do need to be cleaned/wiped down more often, as crud seems to adhere to them easier than a wood shaft.

I grew up in Kentucky, and in the summers it was pretty much 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for most of July and August each year. The months on either end of those werent great either. We used talc, and used it properly. The tables had no powder on them. Nobody complained about chalk on tables, cause there was no chalk on the tables. Even the casual players knew how to use the cones of talc without it making a mess.

That said, I still carry a talc bag in my case for places I go into where the air is damp and or sticky.

I carry powder and corn starch in my pool bag, but I haven't used it in ages.

I have been using a glove for a few years and have gotten used to it, but I still prefer no glove and powder, even though it would take me a bit to get back to the feel.

I have a package of about 10 cheap gloves from China in my bag that should last me for quite a while.

When this lock down is over, I may try a day of playing with no glove and back to my powder.

I ain't afraid of powder.