Any Good Books Coming Out?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christmas is right around the corner. Anybody know of any good instructional books on billiards coming out in time? I already have Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and Brian Crist's Poolology. Those are the most recent books that have useful concepts in them that I am aware of.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christmas is right around the corner. Anybody know of any good instructional books on billiards coming out in time? I already have Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and Brian Crist's Poolology. Those are the most recent books that have useful concepts in them that I am aware of.

A couple of guys here have been really pumping a new book on aiming that's supposed to change the world. I wonder if they have heard anything?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of guys here have been really pumping a new book on aiming that's supposed to change the world. I wonder if they have heard anything?

There was this one book that was at the publisher like 2 years ago. I think the Manhattan Project figured out how to split the atom in less time. Maybe editing a book like that is like figuring out how to cut the Hope diamond. You have to study it for months before making a single cut. :wink:

Just joking around. I'm sure that book will be quite an accomplishment if/when it does come out.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you have Tor Lowry's latest book.

Mental System for Pool Players. Excellent read.

John

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone want a new book on aiming? Here you go:

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Develop a PSR that makes the OB go into the pocket and the CB behave the way you expect it to.

Chapter 2

See the ball, make the ball, get position.

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Develop a PSR that makes the OB go into the pocket and the CB behave the way you expect it to.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

This is excellent! With some editing and a few diagrams showing how to determine exactly where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ob (without guessing), you would have a great piece of work here. I really like the way you use the word "art" in relation to aiming, because that's really what it becomes once a player develops a great feel for pocketing balls -- art.

Have your people contact my people and we'll turn your 1 page book, "The Art of Aiming", into something closer to 112 pages. I think you have something special here that could potentially become a great contribution to the pool and billiards community. I look forward to working with you on this project.

PS....If you choose to stand firm on your 1 page book design, I will understand. Perhaps you'll at least allow me the honor of endorsing your work, as I believe "see the ball, make the ball, get position" is an award-winning approach to the game.

Thank you.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

Where do I get my autographed copy?

Sanctuary much,

Boxcar

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

Nice, but can I suggest one edit? You know editing takes a good 3 years so we should be hitting the book stores by 2023 on this baby. Here's the first edit, if I may:

Foreward: All youze suckers have been doing it wrong for 100 years so just read this and you'll be taking home all the cash in a week or two.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is excellent! With some editing and a few diagrams showing how to determine exactly where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ob (without guessing), you would have a great piece of work here. I really like the way you use the word "art" in relation to aiming, because that's really what it becomes once a player develops a great feel for pocketing balls -- art.

Have your people contact my people and we'll turn your 1 page book, "The Art of Aiming", into something closer to 112 pages. I think you have something special here that could potentially become a great contribution to the pool and billiards community. I look forward to working with you on this project.

PS....If you choose to stand firm on your 1 page book design, I will understand. Perhaps you'll at least allow me the honor of endorsing your work, as I believe "see the ball, make the ball, get position" is an award-winning approach to the game.

Thank you.

It is art.

Its underpinnings are rooted in science but once a player approaches a table they are like a dancer walking onto a dance floor. Some will look stiff and contrived yet complete enough steps to call it a tango or waltz Others will eventually begin to look like Fred Astaire.

And if you develop a solid PSR you will be seeing the ball/shot from the same perspective over and over. Then, it is not so much a matter of guessing but rather hypothesizing what will happen. You make your best "guess" AND THEN you remember the result and file it away as a success, failure, or needs work. A great pool player must have a great memory.

I look forward to your endorsement of my final work... which may extend to four or five chapters of similar length in its final form.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It is art.

It's underpinnings are rooted in science but once a player approaches a table they are like a dancer walking onto a dance floor. Some will look stiff and contrived and complete enough steps to call it a tango or waltz and others will begin to look like Fred Astaire.

And if you develop a solid PSR you will be seeing the ball/shot from the same perspective over and over. Then, it is not so much a matter of guessing but rather hypothesizing what will happen. You make your best "guess" AND THEN you remember the result and with file it away s a success, failure, or needs work. A great pool player must have a great memory.

I look forward to your endorsement of my final work... which may extend to four or five chapters of similar length in its final form.

Lou Figueroa
And no matter what aiming system you have while standing up, it goes down the toilet if you cannot pull the cue on the stroking line consistently. And that's before you even deliver the final stroke.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice, but can I suggest one edit? You know editing takes a good 3 years so we should be hitting the book stores by 2023 on this baby. Here's the first edit, if I may:

Foreward: All youze suckers have been doing it wrong for 100 years so just read this and you'll be taking home all the cash in a week or two.

From my own very real travails, yes it takes a while to crank out a book.

But I would go with a different forward on this one to emphasize that pool is just not very easy and in fact, to hit a round object, with another round object, that has been struck by a round object makes it a triple tough endeavor. Sure, there are some naturals out there that, straight out of the box, play like Efren. But for most of us it's a tough slog. And the path to success is to work hard, pay attention, wash and repeat. Everyone else can buy the "magic book."

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And no matter what aiming system you have while standing up, it goes down the toilet if you cannot pull the cue on the stroking line consistently. And that's before you even deliver the final stroke.

Yes, this is very true.

And some PSRs will allow you to play pretty well. BUT, if you want to play at your highest speed you have to abandon those and a player must seek out the PSR that delivers what you've alluded to.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you do a video? I am more of a visual learner.

I guess I could put out a DVD...

And then maybe another DVD if I messed anything up in the first one...

And then release the book!

Lou Figueroa
ya
that's
the
ticket