Do you have any pet peeves about a Pool Cue's appearance?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
For example: I prefer that the butt of the cue, not be white. I don't like white on a cue, unless the points are white. I'd live with it on a cue that was really sharp looking otherwise; but given the choice, I'd rather the very butt of the cue be black, or else show the wood grain. Black butt, with the maker's logo seems about right.

I also prefer either 4 points, or else pretty wood grain up in front of the wrap. A Stainless Steel joint collar is also preferred, but isn't a deal breaker if the cue feels great on contact. I can live without it.

Do you have any strong preferences in pool cues?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hate to see a blue chalk ring around the ferrule. It tells me the owner is a Borer. It doesn't bother me much on house cues, but in case I get a house cue alone, out comes the #600 and off comes the ring. No excuse on a store-bought cue.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like metal butt caps or solid/machined metal rings or South West style rings that use metal.

Can't stand most departures from the classic mother-of-pearl slotted-diamond. (Shape, size, material.)

Rounded points... Rounded inlays... ROUNDED POINTS.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like linen wraps on a pool cue, but not on a carom or snooker cue....
....no floating points
...inlays on four points
...Hoppe ending
..some pattern on the joint rings....but no Buska rings

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For example: I prefer that the butt of the cue, not be white. I don't like white on a cue, unless the points are white. I'd live with it on a cue that was really sharp looking otherwise; but given the choice, I'd rather the very butt of the cue be black, or else show the wood grain. Black butt, with the maker's logo seems about right.

I also prefer either 4 points, or else pretty wood grain up in front of the wrap. A Stainless Steel joint collar is also preferred, but isn't a deal breaker if the cue feels great on contact. I can live without it.

Bumperless. Will not buy a cue with a Bumper.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No “air brush”! The mid 90’s nearly killed me.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chalk-stained ferrule. Drives me freakin' nuts.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to see a blue chalk ring around the ferrule. It tells me the owner is a Borer. It doesn't bother me much on house cues, but in case I get a house cue alone, out comes the #600 and off comes the ring. No excuse on a store-bought cue.

I'm with you on the blue ferrules.

I hate to see people with nice cues where their shafts are all nicked up, like a dog has been chewing on them. I'm super picky about keeping my shafts smooth and dent free and I can't understand how people can beat the hell out of theirs so much.

And when their cue forearms are beat up from slamming them against the table while shooting and breaking.

I have cues that are decades old and they all are in almost perfect condition and I have thousands and thousands of games on them.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A Borer.

That's funny.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I, actually, like all white cues with black linen wraps. I've been meaning to have one made for ages, but never got around to it. I even mentioned it today while I was at the pool hall and saw one.

I have a preference for simple cues with 4-points, with veneers, but I'm not into all the inlays and such. I have several cues with inlays, but I didn't buy them for the looks. I bought them because they played good and I got them for good prices. Most of the cues I've bought have had stainless steel joints and 5/16-14 pins.

I have two old McDermott's with white implex joints and 3/8-10 pins that hit really, really well. I think they play a bit "flexier" than my steel jointed cues, but they are fun to play with when I decide to change up sometimes.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Floating points and points on the butt cap that point down, so essentially no points on the butt cap, other designs ok.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I'm with you on the blue ferrules.

I hate to see people with nice cues where their shafts are all nicked up, like a dog has been chewing on them. I'm super picky about keeping my shafts smooth and dent free and I can't understand how people can beat the hell out of theirs so much.

And when their cue forearms are beat up from slamming them against the table while shooting and breaking.

I have cues that are decades old and they all are in almost perfect condition and I have thousands and thousands of games on them.

A dinged up shaft on a cue, is abuse. I don't ever want to play with such a cue. I guess as long as it's the other person's cue, I don't care; but I don't want them playing with my cue.