Cool old vintage Josswest and a surprise...

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up this vintage Josswest cue. This one seems pretty unique. I have seen a couple pictures of this model before but usually they have steel joints and ebony/black Delrin buttcaps. This one has a big pin 3/8 10 Implex joint and an Ivory buttcap. Today I was taking some pictures of it and I noticed some indentations in one of the pictures. Upon closer inspection I noticed that there was a name on it. The camera barely picks it up and I really had to look closely to make it out. It’s says “Freddie”. It must have been refinished at some point and the name removed. Anyhow I thought it is a pretty cool cue and maybe someone would know who Freddie was...

16919EFD-DDEF-4AD5-8736-4CAC4D445239.jpg

94AC0D1F-6D71-4DA8-B904-68340EB487EC.jpg

EA08F7DF-1570-436D-8AD7-0BD1714734F7.jpg

Last edited:

mhilton777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PM Bill Stroud and he may remember who he made it for as it is a very cool and unique cue!

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
Cool old vintage Joss West & surprise

had a simular one. even fancier, one of a kind. Oscar, i would like to see it sometime, seeing we're both Michiganders, it might be possible. nice cue. take care. Don aka Sure Man Cues

bstroud

Deceased
If that cue was made in Tulsa it was not made for Freddy.

I made a similar looking cue for Freddy in CO Springs. It had 4 shafts and an Ivory joint. It also had the first laminated tips.

I put on a La Professional, cut most of it away and glued a Champion on top of what remained. Freddy loved them because they did not mushroom much and asked for them again and again.

You might check the tips but it will be hard to tell after so many years.

It had his name engraved originally.

Bill S.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that cue was made in Tulsa it was not made for Freddy.

I made a similar looking cue for Freddy in CO Springs. It had 4 shafts and an Ivory joint. It also had the first laminated tips.

I put on a La Professional, cut most of it away and glued a Champion on top of what remained. Freddy loved them because they did not mushroom much and asked for them again and again.

You might check the tips but it will be hard to tell after so many years.

It had his name engraved originally.

Bill S.

First I want to thank you for the reply Bill. I appreciate it.

I wish the owner before me would have left the name in tact, I know some people don’t want another’s name on their cue but I don’t mind and I think it gives the cue individual character

One thing I should of mentioned is the name on the cue is spelled “Freddie” and not “Freddy”.

The cue does have 4 shafts (2 @ 29 &1/2”) (1@ 31”) (1@ 29&1/4”).

I don’t think the joint is Ivory. I guess it could be, but I think it’s Implex.

It’s hard to tell if the tips are using pads or if they were put onto another. All 4 have different tips, Here is a picture of the tips:
01F293A8-0729-4BE6-BEDE-6E32A128027F.jpg

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
This cue could have an Implex joint.
It could indeed be the cue I made for Freddy B.
The different shaft lengths ring a bell. The misspelling of his name does also.

The tips on the shafts look like Champions. Probably not original
Freddy was always fooling with his tips.

Bill S.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This cue could have an Implex joint.
It could indeed be the cue I made for Freddy B.
The different shaft lengths ring a bell. The misspelling of his name does also.

The tips on the shafts look like Champions. Probably not original
Freddy was always fooling with his tips.

Bill S.

The second shaft looks like a 70s Crown tip with black backing. The fourth shaft definitely looks like an old Champion tip.

I would say the joint is implex as well.

All the best,
WW