Who Builds (Built) Spliced Cues?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where's Tate when you need him? At first that looks like Gina's method with maybe deeper channels to receive the points, but for sure, that last pic looks like a spliced construction to me.

Thanks

Kevin

Boars are cored then cut in points
Spliced is when the handle is cut into the forearm

poolcrazy

Huebler Collector
Silver Member
Huebler Full Splice

Here are a few examples of Pauls Full Splice cues

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 306

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
Black Boar's points are spliced in. He just does it in a unique way. They're not full-splice, but they're spliced.
that is not considered spliced. there is no splice, that is a block of wood routed into a dowell . hence a inlay

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, the OP didn't specify "full-splice," "short splice," or otherwise. I think this is a source of some confusion. From the cuemakers listed as having built "spliced" cues, I took it to mean "short splice" vs. "inlaid."

Short-spliced cues have a 90 degree (or so) V groove milled/routed into them to accept the point stock. Black Boar cuts a V-groove slot into a forearm and glues points into the butt when it is 30" or so long rather than a 12"-14" long forearm. These are not flat-bottomed points.

If the BB forearm were chopped at the base of the points it would be tough to tell the difference looking at the bottom of the points. The tips come to sharp points just like other short-spliced cues. Granted, the ivory points within the ebony/cocobolo are often inlaid, but that's a decorative feature.

From http://www.blackboarcustomcues.com/
The points are the backbone of a Black Boar cue; there are no shortcuts here. Each set of points is precision-milled and fitted to the deep-knifed pockets within the cue; this process is repeated in the 6 and 8-point cues. Some cues boast as many as 24 knifed-in points to create the veneer effect - this is very time consuming but becomes evident in the cue's balance and hit.

Points should play two very important roles in the design and manufacturing of a cue. First, points should help to stabilize the forearm. Second, they should add progressive weight towards the rear of the cue. With the advent of the 6-point cues Tony fell in love with the beautiful transition from Bird's Eye to all Ebony. This feature created such an increase in quality that Black Boar would never look back on any other manufacturing technique.

I've attached photos of the rough points stock before it is trued up and glued into the cue.

Attachments

• ebony.jpg
    ebony.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 270
  • wood cart.jpg
    wood cart.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 265

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Andy Gilbert definitely does make his one spliced cues, I know that he has made half and full spliced cues.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Oh I've seen some of Klein's stuff. Classic looks right?

Thanks

Kevin

Many that I have seen are classic. But I think he builds about any style. If more people ask for a classic looking cue, then I guess he does have a classic look.

John Davis is also another. Unless he was already mentioned.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, the OP didn't specify "full-splice," "short splice," or otherwise. I think this is a source of some confusion. From the cuemakers listed as having built "spliced" cues, I took it to mean "short splice" vs. "inlaid."

Short-spliced cues have a 90 degree (or so) V groove milled/routed into them to accept the point stock. Black Boar cuts a V-groove slot into a forearm and glues points into the butt when it is 30" or so long rather than a 12"-14" long forearm. These are not flat-bottomed points.

If the BB forearm were chopped at the base of the points it would be tough to tell the difference looking at the bottom of the points. The tips come to sharp points just like other short-spliced cues. Granted, the ivory points within the ebony/cocobolo are often inlaid, but that's a decorative feature.

The points are the backbone of a Black Boar cue; there are no shortcuts here. Each set of points is precision-milled and fitted to the deep-knifed pockets within the cue; this process is repeated in the 6 and 8-point cues. Some cues boast as many as 24 knifed-in points to create the veneer effect - this is very time consuming but becomes evident in the cue's balance and hit.

Points should play two very important roles in the design and manufacturing of a cue. First, points should help to stabilize the forearm. Second, they should add progressive weight towards the rear of the cue. With the advent of the 6-point cues Tony fell in love with the beautiful transition from Bird's Eye to all Ebony. This feature created such an increase in quality that Black Boar would never look back on any other manufacturing technique.

I've attached photos of the rough points stock before it is trued up and glued into the cue.

You can cut that slice it dice it however you like but a splice is a slice and boars are not spliced nor is any cue that has dropped in points

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
What about Eddie Laube, Craig Peterson andTex Fitzgerald?
Or did they rely on Spain's blanks?
I'm asking because I don't know.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are a few examples of Pauls Full Splice cues

Terry,
That full splice with veneers looks interesting, you should post more pictures of that cue in the cue gallery in the Huebler thread.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
What about Eddie Laube, Craig Peterson andTex Fitzgerald?
Or did they rely on Spain's blanks?
I'm asking because I don't know.

I had wondered the same thing about Laube and Peterson, I don't think I've ever heard of Tex.

Kevin

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

I didn't specify full splice vs 1/2 splice vs short splice because it doesn't make a difference. Prongs and veneers are either spliced into a cue or inlaid into a cue. There are several ways of achieving either method, but Tony is definitely inlaying his prongs in.

Which leaves my original question of people that know Boars. Did Tony's shop ever build spliced cues?

Thanks

Kevin