Genuine CTE question from a newbie.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, first, I am NOT trying to start a controversial thread!

I’m (essentially) new and am fooling around with different aiming systems. So far, CTE is... well, a bit over my head. Having said that, this is likely a dumb question.

Okay, so what is the purpose of pivoting back once you ‘aim’ at the OB’s contact point? Why not just keep the contact point ‘locked’ in your mind before taking the stroke?

I read something somewhere about this and have tried to find the link to post it but I can’t find it now dawgonnit. Suffice it to say that although I detected the ‘article’ was in English, I couldn’t make heads nor tails of it.

Oh, also, when you pivot, do you pivot your bridge hand (doesn’t look like it) or your grip hand (that doesn’t make sense to me either but remember I’m new) and leave it pivoted when you take the stroke?

Any takers?

I’ve got the Poolology book on the way but I’m totally destroying what little ‘game’ I had (recreationally) and building it from the ground up since I got a table at home. Therefore I’m looking at a tried and true aiming system that I can learn and ‘build in’. Not going pro at all, I just adore the game and want to get as good as I can.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...what is the purpose of pivoting back once you ‘aim’ at the OB’s contact point?
This doesn't sound to me like Stan Shuffet's version of CTE. With Stan's version you "get the perception" that shows you "center CB" and pivot from there to the shot line (I don't believe a clear explanation of this exists).

If you can visualize the OB's contact point, I suggest just learning (through practice and experience) how to aim the CB's contact point at it. You'll spend a lot less time trying to interpret confusing "system instructions".

pj
chgo

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't sound to me like Stan Shuffet's version of CTE. With Stan's version you "get the perception" that shows you "center CB" and pivot from there to the shot line (I don't believe a clear explanation of this exists).

If you can visualize the OB's contact point, I suggest just learning (through practice and experience) how to aim the CB's contact point at it. You'll spend a lot less time trying to interpret confusing "system instructions".

pj
chgo

Hmm...

I have to admit I’ve watched a bunch of CTE vids on YTube, and this ‘pivoting’ that I saw was from “Lil Chris” who posted the first CTE video I could make some sense out of.

You’re not going to hurt my feelings, if I’m way out on Pluto with this that’s cool, throw me in the right direction!! :grin:

Oh, and 10-4 on your tip! Thanks!!

:cheers:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm...

I have to admit I’ve watched a bunch of CTE vids on YTube, and this ‘pivoting’ that I saw was from “Lil Chris” who posted the first CTE video I could make some sense out of.

You’re not going to hurt my feelings, if I’m way out on Pluto with this that’s cool, throw me in the right direction!! :grin:

Pool is geometry and physics, not voodoo.

This may sound naive and terribly over simplified, BUT, let the game teach you the game.

Learn more about "positive reinforcement," and the concept of "successive approximations of the desired result." There are no "short cuts."

Your guru is meditating within your soul. Find him and ask for his help.

Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is geometry and physics, not voodoo.

This may sound naive and terribly over simplified, BUT, let the game teach you the game.

Learn more about "positive reinforcement," and the concept of "successive approximations of the desired result." There are no "short cuts."

Your guru in meditating within your soul. Find him and ask for his help.

Gotcha ;-)

Hit A Million Balls? :D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hmm...

Li'l Chris's version of "CTE" is really more like a "fractional alignment" system, where you divide the OB into fourths and align the CB's center or edge at the fourth that's closest to your desired cut angle (again, learned through practice and experience) and then "adjust" from that fractional alignment to the actual alignment for the shot. There's no actual "pivot" with the fractional system, just an aim adjustment from the nearest fractional alignment to the actual shot alignment.

pj
chgo

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m (essentially) new and am fooling around with different aiming systems. So far, CTE is... well, a bit over my head. Having said that, this is likely a dumb question.

Okay, so what is the purpose of pivoting back once you ‘aim’ at the OB’s contact point? Why not just keep the contact point ‘locked’ in your mind before taking the stroke?

I read something somewhere about this and have tried to find the link to post it but I can’t find it now dawgonnit. Suffice it to say that although I detected the ‘article’ was in English, I couldn’t make heads nor tails of it.

Oh, also, when you pivot, do you pivot your bridge hand (doesn’t look like it) or your grip hand (that doesn’t make sense to me either but remember I’m new) and leave it pivoted when you take the stroke?

Any takers?

I’ve got the Poolology book on the way but I’m totally destroying what little ‘game’ I had (recreationally) and building it from the ground up since I got a table at home. Therefore I’m looking at a tried and true aiming system that I can learn and ‘build in’. Not going pro at all, I just adore the game and want to get as good as I can.

Thanks in advance!!

I've never posted in any of the threads about the various aiming systems in this forum. So, I'm going to tell you what a professional instructor told me years ago(very well known, actually he's recognized as one of the best). "EVERBODY, knows how to AIM" but they don't have the fundamentals to execute the shots, proper stance, swinging the cue straight and so on. To learn the proper mechanics/fundamentals that's where the Professional Instructor comes in.

Eddie

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for ordering Poolology! I hope you find it beneficial to your game. And please don't hesitate to share your opinion of the book here. I am 100% open to honest criticism and review. Good or bad, I believe people should be able to give reviews and opinions on any product. This is what helps others make the decision as to whether the product would benefit them or not.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for ordering Poolology! I hope you find it beneficial to your game. And please don't hesitate to share your opinion of the book here. I am 100% open to honest criticism and review. Good or bad, I believe people should be able to give reviews and opinions on any product. This is what helps others make the decision as to whether the product would benefit them or not.

I’d be more than happy to give a full review! I think I’m qualified in the sense that I’m really beginner-level but I desperately want to improve significantly. My current aiming system is ‘this sorta looks right.’ But then I sorta sink some balls and sorta botch others :embarrassed2:

It should come today and since I’m dedicated I’m going to read some, practice, read, practice, then probably read through fully and see where I am in five - six weeks :)

Thank you for writing it!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sent you a pm
Dont mean to side track this thread but if you dont have a straight stroke and can consistently hit the vertical axis you will never know why you missed regardless of aiming system
As a noobie work more (spend
more time ) on your stance grip alignment and stroke
than learning an aiming system
Jmho
Icbw

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well for part one BBB says it all. On to part two, I have the 90/90, CTE Pro One, etc. Quite frankly I can't understand a damn thing Stan says. I had a class in off-set aiming, nada. Li'l Chris made more sense in ten minuets than repeated hours of Pro One. Brian's Poolology was always clear and well presented. I've also learned a lot from PJ's writing here.

I'm not anti CTE, I really want to understand it. But I guess I'm an old dog and can't learn this trick. I've been waiting for the videos that have been promised. If it takes a 400 page book to explain CTE then it's really not so simple.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent you a pm
Dont mean to side track this thread but if you dont have a straight stroke and can consistently hit the vertical axis you will never know why you missed regardless of aiming system
As a noobie work more (spend
more time ) on your stance grip alignment and stroke
than learning an aiming system
Jmho
Icbw

Got your PM! Thank you - will do ;)

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well for part one BBB says it all. On to part two, I have the 90/90, CTE Pro One, etc. Quite frankly I can't understand a damn thing Stan says. I had a class in off-set aiming, nada. Li'l Chris made more sense in ten minuets than repeated hours of Pro One. Brian's Poolology was always clear and well presented. I've also learned a lot from PJ's writing here.

I'm not anti CTE, I really want to understand it. But I guess I'm an old dog and can't learn this trick. I've been waiting for the videos that have been promised. If it takes a 400 page book to explain CTE then it's really not so simple.

Hello!

To be honest, I was doing a lot of reading here and Reddit, etc on CTE (well, just aiming in general). On the balance, although I found that CTE has its fans, the consensus seemed to weigh towards “forget about it and just learn fractional aiming, read Poolology,” so I went and ordered it.

The book came today and I’m starting on it. If I can, I’m going to see if I can find an instructor locally (we are in Middle TN, not terribly far from Nashville) for my youngest son and me as ‘bbb’ suggested. Of late we’ve been watching a lot of YouTube instructionals and trying to emulate. This has helped I must confess. I’m sure a live instructor is far better though.

If anyone knows any good teachers near Nashville TN, recommendations appreciated!

Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I just wanted to add that I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Of the few hobbies I have, so far this has been the most new-member friendly forum I’ve found.

My most sincere thank you to everyone :)

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Caveat Emptor

Oh, I just wanted to add that I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Of the few hobbies I have, so far this has been the most new-member friendly forum I’ve found.
My most sincere thank you to everyone :)
If you buy into that snake oil about.............."Master the Art of Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball", pal, you're in for one helluva disappointment.
NO aiming system can provide that...not ANY of them and anyone who says it will is a confounded liar, out to get your money. It is false advertising.
Some of the best players in the world are all in with CTE Aiming and they miss balls too. There is NO system that will furnish you with something so you will "never miss another ball". It's something that does not exist.
1. Investigate and find out if the person promoting the system or selling the system even uses the system themselves in competition.
2. Investigate and find out which championship players have studied and utilize the method.
3. Investigate and find out which top players the author has beaten in competition. Note I said top players, not some local yokel like me at the Moose Clubs or The Outhouse Tavern.
(and after all that, remember there is still no such thing as "Master The Art of Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball)
Caveat Emptor............."let the buyer beware".
Good wishes to you

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you buy into that snake oil about.............."Master the Art of Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball", pal, you're in for one helluva disappointment.
NO aiming system can provide that...not ANY of them and anyone who says it will is a confounded liar, out to get your money. It is false advertising.
Some of the best players in the world are all in with CTE Aiming and they miss balls too. There is NO system that will furnish you with something so you will "never miss another ball". It's something that does not exist.
1. Investigate and find out if the person promoting the system or selling the system even uses the system themselves in competition.
2. Investigate and find out which championship players have studied and utilize the method.
3. Investigate and find out which top players the author has beaten in competition. Note I said top players, not some local yokel like me at the Moose Clubs or The Outhouse Tavern.
(and after all that, remember there is still no such thing as "Master The Art of Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball)
Caveat Emptor............."let the buyer beware".
Good wishes to you

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any takers?

Thanks in advance!!
Ok grasshopper let explain it since the cte experts added to the confusion. Hahaha. First of all your referencing a contact point is not correct. It is an aim line or a perception. Once You are locked into ab or c or edge point you either do a left or right pivot (depending on the angle) wich brings you to the contact point.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk